News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel gauge sending unit

Started by b5blue, July 13, 2021, 11:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

This evening I drained out and re filled the fuel again and re calibrated the meter match unit for both full and empty per directions.  Got it just about perfect and then I tested it by removing 6 gallons. It went from full to 3/4 full and then when I poured the 6 gallons back it went back to full.  Great so I thought as once I started the engine, it dropped to less than 3/4 and stayed there.  No clue why it changed but Im not messing with it for now, I just want to drive it.  I may give tanks.com a call.

Dino

1/4 tank just to fire it up? Sounds about right.  :lol:

The fuel gauge only has one wire running to the sender, with the sender grounded. Not much to go wrong there. When I calibrated mine, I had the fuel sender snd gauge on the bench. Much easier to adjust that way.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

timmycharger

lol! yea I am very confident that both the meter match unit and sender are grounded properly, it is just strange that I had it calibrated perfectly with just the key on but when I started the engine, it is showing a different reading.

I also first calibrated it on the bench and after putting it in and filling the tank, I was not completely satisfied so I thought it would be better calibrating it in the tank.

I'm just tired of filling and emptying the tank over and over, time for some driving!

70 sublime

Wonder with the engine running you have a different voltage in the system to mess the readings up some ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

timmycharger

I believe that could be an issue, I did some digging this morning and found a thread on FBBO that links a video showing how to use the voltage correction feature on the meter match. 

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/meter-match.256301/

timmycharger

I should have watched this video BEFORE installing the meter match.  It took longer to take off the kick panel and re install it than to turn on the voltage correction feature.  Pretty simply.  Key off, hold down up button on the unit while knob is at zero, at same time turn key to apply 12v and wait for LED to flash and done.

Result is rock solid needle showing full like it should when running.  Took it for a blast yesterday and beat the hell out of it to try to get the fuel to slosh around as much as possible and I confirmed that I also fixed my sending unit leak.

Fixed the leak by getting a new sender, lock ring, gasket and carefully hammering down the dabs with a wooden block to give a tighter seal with the ring. 

Having the lock ring tool helped too!

Oh and thanks to KD and John K on the tips on getting the pics big! Nice!

20240814_165235.jpg20240814_180356_HDR.jpg