News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Project.

Started by hemi-hampton, August 03, 2024, 06:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi-hampton

Latest project, not a Mopar, a 78 RS Camaro. Better then working on School Bus's or Kenworth 18 wheelers. :scratchchin:

b5blue

Interesting, I totaled a new 77 Z/28 before the 1st payment was due.  :2thumbs: 

hemi-hampton

I think this RS may have a rare Z-28 hood option. Only RS I seen with this hood & hood looks original. unless I could find a build sheet or original window sticker I'll never know? unfortunately owner has no interest in any of this info? wants to make it look like a plain Camaro, doesn't care if two tone RS.

b5blue

May be a swap? Mine just had the fan sticker for 77.  :scratchchin:

hemi-hampton

Don't think it was a swapped. the car being a RS was originally 2 tone paint. code 24 light blue on bottom & code 29 dark blue on top. The entire car was repainted twice before to one solid color blue. The last Paint job was a total Earl Scheib Garbage job that looked like Gravel Guard corn cob rough texture. So I stripped it to bar metal. BUT, under the mirror & chrome, molding ect., ect.,  were signs of the original dark blue paint. Under this Z-28 Hood scoop was the same factory dark blue that was on rest of car. under rear chrome molding at back of hood edge also. Because of that makes me think hood & scoop original.

b5blue

hemi-hampton

slowly but surely.P1070613 - Copy.JPG

b5blue

Kern Dog

The bigger picture looks great.   :2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

Quote from: b5blue on August 19, 2024, 07:35:35 AMLooks rust free!  :2thumbs:

NO, The bottom of both fenders were rusted out needing patch's, pass side Rocker rusted out needing a big huge patch. Notice rust pile on floor below Rocker hole. 1/4 on drivers side needed patches at bottom both in front & behind tire/wheelwell. Pass side only patch on 1/4 lower front. Somebody totally earl scheibed this car a couple times before I got it. now it's getting one step above Earl Schieb, The Maaco Special. LOL. Not funny really. :brickwall:

hemi-hampton

Some clown before me bondo'ed over a ton of dents with out ever pulling any of the dents out. look at this dent on Fender. like 2 inch deep dent just filled with 3 inches of Bondo :shruggy:  :brickwall: 
P.S. I'm having a hard time posting big pic, they keep showing up as thumbnails. you'll have to click onto pic if thumbnail to super size pic. :brickwall: DentedBondoedFender.JPGP1070256 (2) - Copy.JPG

hemi-hampton

Hood 100% skim coated with bondo, looked like some one took ball peen hammer to hood & dented the hell out of it (possible golf ball size hail damage?) Then looks like some one Danced on hood after taking Hammer to it. Like 3 or 4 people dancing on it :brickwall: HoodBondoed.JPG

hemi-hampton

I tried to get a pic of the Orange Peel on last paint job. hard to see in Pic maybe. But worse then Orange Peel, more like Corn on the Cob or Gravel Guard?? :brickwall: DoorOrangePeel.JPG

b5blue

I hope this car is paying well.... :scratchchin:

hemi-hampton

Quote from: b5blue on August 21, 2024, 07:36:42 AMI hope this car is paying well.... :scratchchin:

NO, Not at all. :brickwall:  :slap:  :eek2:

Mike DC

QuoteSome clown before me bondo'ed over a ton of dents with out ever pulling any of the dents out. look at this dent on Fender. like 2 inch deep dent just filled with 3 inches of Bondo :shruggy:  :brickwall:

hemi-hampton

In Feather Fill Primer. Time to Block, for days, if Boss lets me :scratchchin: CamaroInBoothBondo2.JPGCamaroOutBoothPrimer.JPG

Kern Dog

You posted the pictures just fine, Leon.
Thank you.

hemi-hampton

I think I might have finally figured out how to get the bigger pics up. :2thumbs:

LaOtto70Charger

The last pictures are like more embedded into the text which is fine. Someone viewing them if they wanted to save them for a refernce would have to do a screen capture.
The first pictures maybe thumbnails but if click on them they go full size.  You can also download them if you want. Which if this was a tutorial could be very beneficial. Looks like an interesting project.

hemi-hampton

Now the Fun begins. :scratchchin:
SandingPrimer.JPG

Kern Dog

I actually really like the 70-81 Camaro and Firebirds. I've owned several but most were beaters. They can be made to handle really well.

hemi-hampton

SO, My clueless Boss thought this beat up P.O.S was going to be like a 2 day scuff & puff or Blow & Go. Sand one day, paint the next, call it done, ship it. :brickwall:  :brickwall: Has no clue what's going on or what he's talking about. say's it for a Friend so this one has to look good, real good. But he's never seen anybody block primer or Primer Twice. I prematurely primed before it was really ready because he kept saying every day come on, lets hurry up & get it primed so we can paint. The body work was really rough & rushed. Then I guess he just expects me to just DA sand it real quick so I can hurry up & paint it. Then after rushed & Earl Scheibed he'll look it over with a magnifying glass expecting it to be show car perfect flawless. Sick of this shit. :brickwall:  :brickwall:

hemi-hampton

Here it is ready to prime a 2nd time. In Restoration shops doing old car Restorations when the car may be skim coated end to end top to bottom with body filler to get straight you'll routinely need to prime a 2nd time. nothing out of the ordinarily. BUT, when you work in any other body shop where everything is mass production crank them out new cars insurance work, or used car lot garbage Earl Scheiber's you never prime anything twice & the idea or thought of it is ridiculous to them & unheard of. Huge difference between the 2. I once worked at a Maaco Collision (similar to Earl Scheib but one step above) way back in late 1980's. There I had to Paint 8 cars a day, 1 per hour. To people like this the idea that someone might take 2 days to do 1 car, 1 day to sand & 1 day to paint they can't comprehend. If you were to spend 2 weeks, 2 months or 1 year on a car they would really be stunned, with out words. :brickwall:  :brickwall: Reprime2ndtimeback.JPG

b5blue

I wish you could give my 70 the once over.  :cheers: