News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Pump

Started by myk, July 22, 2024, 08:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Hello everyone,

I've run into a stalling problem, and I'm suspecting the Charger's electric fuel pump is going bad.  I just replaced the cap and rotor because they looked pretty worn, but I'm still suspecting the electric fuel pump.  So, I've got a few questions about this:

Other than sticking a fuel pressure gauge on it, is there anything else I can do to diagnose the pump?  I have a fuel pressure gauge to test my fuel injected cars, but would that same gauge be able to measure the low psi pump that I'm using on the Charger?  I don't have the specs on the pump; a shop installed it years ago and I have no information on it; can't even read the part number on it.

If I decide to replace the pump, I'll need a low pressure unit for my Edelbrock 'carb, no more than 6psi, so can I install any electric pump rated for 6 psi, 12 volts and then use that? The pumps that I see online are always rated in ranges, from 3 to 6 psi, or whatever.  Can I buy one of those electric pumps rated for 3 to 6 psi and install it as-is, or would it need a regulator?  If the pump operates in a range of pressure, how does it regulate its pressure?  The Charger does not have a fuel regulator on it and I've never used one. 

Finally, I'm using 3/8" lines for fuel.  Would the inlet and outlet of the electric pump have to be exactly 3/8", or would a 5/16" or a 1/4" be ok to use? 

Below is a picture of the type of electric pump I've run on the Charger for years, and what I'd buy to replace the current one with if I have to.  Any suggestions or advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Kern Dog

This is a bit off topic but I've always used mechanical fuel pumps in my cars, even the red car that makes approximately 550 HP. I've seen no need for the complexity of an electric pump for the car. I run a Demon 850 carburetor that never starves for fuel and runs great no matter the temperature. I've driven in 20 degree cold and 110 degree heat and the car runs fine.
To your point though, you could tap into a rubber section of your fuel line and temporarily mount a cheap fuel pressure gauge. Carbureted cars usually don't need more than 7 lbs of pressure at WOT.
My system is a Carter pump that puts out close to 11 psi. I run it through a regulator limited to 7 lbs. Anything over 7 gets fed to a return line back to the tank. The fuel is always in a loop. I get no vapor lock and it does not starve.
At idle, I'm between 3-4 psi. It rises under throttle and At WOT it peaks at 7 psi.

myk

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 23, 2024, 02:58:41 AMThis is a bit off topic but I've always used mechanical fuel pumps in my cars, even the red car that makes approximately 550 HP. I've seen no need for the complexity of an electric pump for the car. I run a Demon 850 carburetor that never starves for fuel and runs great no matter the temperature. I've driven in 20 degree cold and 110 degree heat and the car runs fine.
To your point though, you could tap into a rubber section of your fuel line and temporarily mount a cheap fuel pressure gauge. Carbureted cars usually don't need more than 7 lbs of pressure at WOT.
My system is a Carter pump that puts out close to 11 psi. I run it through a regulator limited to 7 lbs. Anything over 7 gets fed to a return line back to the tank. The fuel is always in a loop. I get no vapor lock and it does not starve.
At idle, I'm between 3-4 psi. It rises under throttle and At WOT it peaks at 7 psi.

Believe it or not, I only had two reasons for installing an electric pump: anti-theft, and vapor lock.  I like that starting my Charger is like starting that big tanker in Mad Max: Fury Road; there's a sequence of things that must be done including turning on the fuel pump lol. 

I think my fuel system is like yours, in that any extra fuel goes back to the tank, but every once in a while I'd get a very hard start.  Once I installed the electric pump the car starts up any time, every time.  BUT...I was considering going back to mechanical, because in the first twenty years I owned my Charger, the mechanical pump didn't fail me ONCE.  After I made the switch to electrical, I've gone through four electric pumps in about eight years.  That Chinesium just can't be counted on to last. 

How do you install the pressure regulator?  Do you just plumb it into the line between the 'carb and the filter, or something?  Thanks for the response, Greg.

Kern Dog

I have the regulator mounted to the RH frame rail. The inlet to the mechanical fuel pump is connected to the fuel line from the tank. The outlet to the fuel pump goes to the regulator.
The regulator has three ports. One inlet, two outlets. One outlet runs up to the carburetor, the other runs to a 5/16" return line back to the tank.
This setup solved every hot drivability issue that I had. Before, I would get vapor lock in the summer and sometimes fuel starvation at the top of second gear. The Edelbrock fuel pump I had before was fine for cruising and some street fun but didn't keep up at WOT near the top of 2nd gear.

Kern Dog

It is good to see you active online again, Myk.
You used to be a frequent contributor here and at FBBO then you disappeared like you went to jail! Where have you been?

timmycharger

Not sure how to test it w/o a gauge. I have been running an electric pump for years on my 440 six pack. I agree that a stock type mechanical pump works fine, It is just my preference.  I am running this pump, the Mallory 110, yea I know its a bit pricey.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mallory-29256-Model-110-Fuel-Pump,287769.html?utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Oepsoq9hwMV_zEIBR2HwQXaEAQYASABEgKP2vD_BwE

This pump does not require a regulator and is super quiet. I had serious issues with vapor lock in the past but after installing this pump and adding a return line, I have had no more issues since. I also wrapped my fuel line in thermal tape to help keep it cool.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: myk on July 22, 2024, 08:58:30 PMHello everyone,
Other than sticking a fuel pressure gauge on it, is there anything else I can do to diagnose the pump?

No. Are you running the electric pump as a stand alone or in line to boost the mechanical pump?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

myk

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 23, 2024, 04:48:07 AMIt is good to see you active online again, Myk.
You used to be a frequent contributor here and at FBBO then you disappeared like you went to jail! Where have you been?

In my personal life I messed up pretty badly and lost a job that I loved and had held for years while my fiance at the time left me simultaneously.  The Charger for me is like my chariot of good times. Without the job, I couldn't do 'mods or anything fun with the Charger, and my mechanical knowledge always paled in comparison to you and everyone else, so I felt like I was just a post-whore at FBBO and here.  If times are bad, the Charger gets put away until the clouds part.  When times are good, the Charger comes out, and all is right in the world.  To me, the Charger will only ever be a fair weather/life indulgement.  I did miss everyone, though.  And now that there are probably more years behind than ahead of me as I get older, I've decided that rain or shine, the Charger and I have to do our thing.

Quote from: timmycharger on July 23, 2024, 06:46:08 AMNot sure how to test it w/o a gauge. I have been running an electric pump for years on my 440 six pack. I agree that a stock type mechanical pump works fine, It is just my preference.  I am running this pump, the Mallory 110, yea I know its a bit pricey.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mallory-29256-Model-110-Fuel-Pump,287769.html?utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Oepsoq9hwMV_zEIBR2HwQXaEAQYASABEgKP2vD_BwE

This pump does not require a regulator and is super quiet. I had serious issues with vapor lock in the past but after installing this pump and adding a return line, I have had no more issues since. I also wrapped my fuel line in thermal tape to help keep it cool.

I grabbed a parts store e-pump that's rated up to 6psi, but I will definitely look into your pump.  Money is no object if it means having reliability in something that has always been a problem for the Charger and I.

-Edit: I just looked and man that is expensive, lol.  But again, if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 23, 2024, 02:00:45 PM
Quote from: myk on July 22, 2024, 08:58:30 PMHello everyone,
Other than sticking a fuel pressure gauge on it, is there anything else I can do to diagnose the pump?

No. Are you running the electric pump as a stand alone or in line to boost the mechanical pump?

It is running as a stand-alone pump.  I had thought of using it as a booster, but I wanted simplicity, so I just removed the mechanical unit.  I was able to figure out what kind of pump is on the Charger now: it is a Mr. Gasket 12S micro-electric fuel pump rated at 7 psi.  I also figured that wiring issues could be damaging the pump, so I tested power wire continuity with a multimeter from as far back as I could access and the wire tested good.  I guess I'll just swap it out with another pump and see what happens. Thanks for the response, John.

myk

Question guys: I noticed that the manifold vacuum port on my edelbrock 1411 carb didn't have its cap on it.  I'm guessing it fell off from age, heat, or whatever. Would this affect engine behavior in any way? 

John_Kunkel

Quote from: myk on July 27, 2024, 01:21:41 AMQuestion guys: I noticed that the manifold vacuum port on my edelbrock 1411 carb didn't have its cap on it.  I'm guessing it fell off from age, heat, or whatever. Would this affect engine behavior in any way? 

If you mean the 3/8" nipple, yes...if it's uncapped, it's a major vacuum leak and will cause a very lean air/fuel mixture and usually an audible whistling sound.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

myk

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 27, 2024, 11:05:16 AM
Quote from: myk on July 27, 2024, 01:21:41 AMQuestion guys: I noticed that the manifold vacuum port on my edelbrock 1411 carb didn't have its cap on it.  I'm guessing it fell off from age, heat, or whatever. Would this affect engine behavior in any way? 

If you mean the 3/8" nipple, yes...if it's uncapped, it's a major vacuum leak and will cause a very lean air/fuel mixture and usually an audible whistling sound.

Yes, so the timed vacuum port and the full manifold vacuum port on the carb are supposed to be capped off because I don't use either of them for my distributor timing, and I just noticed that the full manifold port wasn't capped. 

I had replaced the fuel pump, went for a drive and the charger still stalled.  Stumped, I opened the hood and noticed that port uncapped.  Now, she hasn't stalled since I put another cap on it. 

Assuming that was the problem, I can't believe that I let a 2 cent rubber cap cause all of this nonsense.  Guess we'll see...