News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk lid not aligned with dutchman panel.... How do I Fix this?

Started by mopar4don, July 19, 2024, 01:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

So I have been working on gaping the trunk lid from my 69 Charger and have found a problem that I am not sure how to fix.

P2024july19a.jpg

I have established the 3/16 gap on the 3 sides (looks good)

P2024july19b.jpg

P2024july19c.jpg

P2024july19d.jpg

P2024july19e.jpg

P2024july19f.jpg

My problem is when the lid is closed, it sits below the dutchman by 3/16. It's good on the left and right sides.

Here I used a flexible ruler to show the problem and that square piece of metal is 3/16.
It is what I used as a gapping tool.

P2024july19g.jpg

The other problem with it sitting that low, is as the lid is being opened it just touches the dutchman panel. NOT GOOD ON PAINT!

P2024july19h.jpg

mopar4don

P2024july19i.jpg

I have tried pulling the lip with a slide hammer NO LUCK!

I have tried supporting the gutter all the way to the floor and putting a block between the gutter and shutting the lid (this forces the lid up) NO LUCK!

The only other thing I can think of would be to slit the dutchman then close the gap and weld it.
But I would have to slit it almost the entire length and am REALLY WORRIED this would cause oil canning!
Which I did get when I gapped the sides (see the 1st pic the areas on the side that have on paint are were I ran a shrinking disc)

Does anyone have any ideas?
If I did cut a slit, what is the best way to do it to avoid oil canning?

I am at a loss!

The trunk lid is an original that I purchased.
The quarters and dutchman panel are AMD
The trunk lid is setting really nice and profiles all the way around. Except for the center

Kern Dog

Kern Dog

Nobody else had posted yet, so what the heck? No sense of humor with you?
Your thread on FBBO is getting responses.

mopar4don

Hi Kern, I did not take offense to your response. How could I with the little emoji guy you added. :icon_smile_big:
Yes I am getting a lot of responses over on FBBO, which I am grateful for. But I always post dual threads (there and here) cause you never know who might help. OR who you can help.

Besides, this is the 1st forum I found (and like you) I am not giving up on her!

70 sublime

If the trunk lid fits flat on both ends at the back and just low in the middle I think I would try to bend the trunk lid a bit to fit the opening you have on the car before I would try to mess with the car to make it fit the trunk lid
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

mopar4don

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 20, 2024, 07:09:57 AMIf the trunk lid fits flat on both ends at the back and just low in the middle I think I would try to bend the trunk lid a bit to fit the opening you have on the car before I would try to mess with the car to make it fit the trunk lid
Any suggestions on how to do that? I have tried with no luck.

70 sublime

Think I would try putting a 2x4 piece of wood on the shop floor and then push down on the edges to see if it will flex any at all

If that does not work and you seem to like welding :) maybe cut a slit on the main cross support on the bottom side near the back of the trunk lid and then try to flex it down again

Just not sure if you should make the slit right in the middle or make two slits a little each way of center
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

mopar4don

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 20, 2024, 08:50:07 AMThink I would try putting a 2x4 piece of wood on the shop floor and then push down on the edges to see if it will flex any at all

If that does not work and you seem to like welding :) maybe cut a slit on the main cross support on the bottom side near the back of the trunk lid and then try to flex it down again

Just not sure if you should make the slit right in the middle or make two slits a little each way of center

I think I will try your 1st option BUT before I did that I want to see how the lid closes against the weatherstrip. That will tell me how much if any I can push the edge of the lid

hemi-hampton

my first thought within first few seconds was to cut dutchman panel slit, push down & weld. if trunk original & dutchman panel aftermarket most likely the aftermarket piece is your problem. if you get oil canning a heat shrinking gun should fix, if you don't have one a electric Dent puller similiar to stud gun but not a stud gun should work as a substitute. The ones some people call Bear Claw. Pictured below.

hemi-hampton

it does have a shrink mode.

mopar4don

WOA, 2852.00 on amazon!

I'm sure it's a handy tool but I would have to try something else 1st.

timmycharger

I bought this to get rid of the oil can effect on my quarters and dutchman, worked great.

mopar4don

Or a shrinking disc, which is what I used on my trunk lid.
See 1st pic, on both sides of the lid I removed the paint. This is where I used the shrinking disc