News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition issue solved, rotor phasing

Started by 375instroke, July 16, 2024, 06:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

'69 Charger, 383 converted to MP electronic ignition when I got it.  Always had a miss at cruising.  Had Edelbrock carb.  Found an AVS off a '69 Roadrunner, rebuilt it, same thing, not that big an issue.  Playing with Holley Sniper EFI, while adding spark control, I discover the rotor phasing is off, both on the MP distributor, and another one I'm going to use for the timing trigger.  As vacuum advance comes in, it'll pull the pickup plate, advancing the timing, without moving the rotor forward like it does with mechanical advance, so the more vacuum you have, the more the rotor is away from the distributor cap terminal.  Here it is at idle, and you can see the spark coming off the forward corner of the rotor towards the #1 terminal.  There are a few ways of fixing this.  I just made a new tab inside the rotor for now to see if it works, and it does.  It was really bad when I added an MSD box.  Right now I have the MP electronic distributor and MSD Digital 6AL.  At cruise it was popping like crazy, but great idle and full throttle.  Accelerate fine, but let off the throttle, and it was jumping and popping, not just a little miss.  Now it works great with the rotor phasing fixed.

metallicareload99

Since you're using the MP distributor, you MIGHT be able to turn the reluctor upside down and it might help with the phasing.

The picture is @ idle? @ idle I would want the spark coming off the trailing edge of the rotor.....
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Nacho-RT74

Dunno if still, but quite ago Rick Erhenberg (sp?) was selling a reluctor with a diff notches for phasing. I got one.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

375instroke