News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Race Charger Prep Rake/Angle of Attack

Started by 71GSSDemon, June 11, 2024, 12:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71GSSDemon

Does anyone know the rake the Charger, C500 and Daytonas were set up for on super speedways?  I know I have heard, possibly Dave Marcis and one of the Allisons, discussing cowl pressure and rake of these cars to make them work best.  Also, I know it was more than todays fairly level cars are.  Aaron Brown from the Garage Shop had some issues at Bonneville until the rake was adjusted - Allisons said there needed to be more rake to make the cars work IIRC.  Any help would be appreciated.

71GSSDemon

Found it. 

The wind tunnel tests were performed in two phases. Phase I testing started January 5, 1970 and continued to February 6, 1970. Phase II testing began March 2, 1970 and ended March 26, 1970. The 3/8 scale, fiberglass models were pitched through body rake angles of 0 to -3 degrees and yawed from -3 to +9 degrees. All testing was done at a freestream dynamic pressure of 40 psf (125 MPH).  The standard "G" Series car with a front spoiler and both a standard and semi-fastback greenhouse are compared to the "E" Series (1968-1969) race car in Figures 167a, 167b, 168a, 168b and 168c.

The "E" Series Daytona 500 (Charger and Charger 500 but not Daytona) is, generally, a better aerodynamic configuration than either "G" Series (1971 body style Dodge) configurations. However, the "E" Series car front lift is significantly higher (450 pounds) and the directional stability is lower (center of pressure is 2 inches further forward) than the "G" Series car.

Found the info on the 1968 1/2 Race car to be 2° rake or 4" over the wheelbase.

1969 Race cars were to be set at 1.5° with a horizontal floor pan.  Completely blocked off grill, getting the air solely from opening below bumper and 2" spoiler just ahead of the radiator support.  This reduced drag to 0.375.