News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Toolbox organizer

Started by Dino, August 20, 2024, 09:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I have a rolling Husky toolbox I really like, but I don't like the tools rolling all over the place. I really like the look of the Gearwrench EVA organizers, and I'd get their tool sets but they're not cheap, and honestly I always use the same wrenches and sockets anyway. I probably don't use 2/3s of my tools that came in a set.
My 15 year old Craftsman socket set has served me well, although a replacement ratchet or two wouldn't hurt, but I'm still using them out of the molded case. What do you guys use to organize your toolbox?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

I cut down the sides of various boxes.

Old Moparz

I have a variety of organizers, some are great, some aren't. The small molded trays are great for small items I have for air tools & fittings. The wrench organizer is also adequate & a design that's been around for decades. The socket organizer is not so great because the deep sockets tend to tip. If the height was taller it would be fine. There are a few other organizers I'd like to try but instead of spending money on them & not being happy I just cope with the one I have.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

timmycharger

I have 2 large rolling tool chests filled with tools but both of them are horribly unorganized. My son always busts my chops when we are working on something as he can never find anything.

The problem is I must have at least 3 or 4 of every wrench, socket, ratchet, extension, etc that I accumulated over they years and I just toss them in the drawer. I do separate the drawers from metric and standard but I am always wasting time fishing around for what I need.

I have seen people use foam and cut out the shape of their tools in the drawers but If I did that, I would need 14 tool boxes.

I need to reduce my tools and THEN organize them!

70 sublime

We have a big rolling tool box in the farm shop
It never moves from its place

It has 2 rows of 3 drawers wide of smaller drawers across the top full of small stuff Tire pressure guage and valve stems .... One small drawer has all the metric wrenches

Under that are full width drawers
Top one is full of all the screwdivers
Next one is full of all the plyers and side cutters and vise grips type stuff
Next one down is all the ratchet and socket type stuff
Next one down is all wrenches up to 3/4"
Next one down is all wrenches 3/4 up to 1 1/4" sizes

Everything is just piled in loose
At one time tried to lay them in order all pretty but that did not last long
At least the way we do it narrows down the search for the right tool and easy to throw them back in the drawer when done :)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

hemi71x

I like using magnetic strips on the bottom of my tool box drawers to keep lots of my tools in place without them moving around all the time.
They work for me, to keep things organized, but if your drawers are overflowing, then not so well.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

John_Kunkel

I used to help out a friend who had his own auto repair shop. He had previously worked at a dealer and had a huge rollaway tool box with lots of top boxes and side boxes.

Trying to find anything is that tool box was a nightmare, no organization at all...when I mentioned that to him all he said was "I know where everything is". Well, it worked for him.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.