News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger on ebay

Started by Jim Curnane, May 31, 2006, 06:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1972Rallye

I'll take a stab at this...  $12,500-ish - Let me explain...

The '73-'74 Chargers should really be called 4th Gen since they are very different from the '71-'72 Chargers.  The prices drop drastically for these cars because of many factors including; very few replacement parts, relatively low performance, 5 mph impact bumper system, slugish (for comfortable) suspension, etc.  They simply are not as attractive to collectors yet so their prices are still low compared to the earlier B-Bodies. 

A guy in my club is trying to sell a '73 SE that is an origianal 440, sunroof, Petty Blue car w/white interior. No takers @ $17,000. ???

hemigeno

Sorry for the confusion with moving this thread around.  I still have my Moderator Learner's Permit... 

:P

NHCharger

Quote from: hemigeno on May 31, 2006, 01:34:09 PM
Sorry for the confusion with moving this thread around.  I still have my Moderator Learner's Permit... 

:P

:haha: :haha:

I agree with 72Rallye about these Charger's being underappreciated by the Mopar crowd.
The car looks pretty sweet but I'd be surprised to see it crack 11k.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 1972Rallye on May 31, 2006, 08:13:24 AM

The '73-'74 Chargers should really be called 4th Gen since they are very different from the '71-'72 Chargers. 

Not because I'm a 74 owner and that did hurt, but THAT WAS EXAGGERATED TO SAY...

Diferences what makes not interchangeable some parts are just quarter, doors and front K member and suspension/frame rails/inner fender... rest are practically the same.

Is something like you say 70 from 69 is another gen because fenders and hood are completelly different, steering column, cluster and wiring. THIS IS REALLY EXAGERATED but kinda of...

Performance is PARTIALLY true, but I preffer a 73/74 400 than a 71/72 318... there is more juice to extract from a 400 with some minimun, cheap and magical touchs. Gas crissis and emission controls is not my fault. I like more the 73/74 looks with larger quarter window and tail lights.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

BTW... after an overview at it and see all the options I think easily worths around $15K  with dual mirrors, AM/FM Radio, very good conditions tuff wheel, etc...

I see also a very nice conditions seats, dash, door panels.

Is also A/C equipped that even is removed parts are there.

Nice upgrade with radiator...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

1972Rallye

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on June 01, 2006, 04:18:18 PM
Quote from: 1972Rallye on May 31, 2006, 08:13:24 AM

The '73-'74 Chargers should really be called 4th Gen since they are very different from the '71-'72 Chargers. 

Not because I'm a 74 owner and that did hurt, but THAT WAS EXAGGERATED TO SAY...

Diferences what makes not interchangeable some parts are just quarter, doors and front K member and suspension/frame rails/inner fender... rest are practically the same.

Is something like you say 70 from 69 is another gen because fenders and hood are completelly different, steering column, cluster and wiring. THIS IS REALLY EXAGERATED but kinda of...

Performance is PARTIALLY true, but I preffer a 73/74 400 than a 71/72 318... there is more juice to extract from a 400 with some minimun, cheap and magical touchs. Gas crissis and emission controls is not my fault. I like more the 73/74 looks with larger quarter window and tail lights.

Nacho-
I love the '73-'74 models as well and I have a great deal of respect for you and your car.  I understand your point - I simply wanted to illustrate the many differences between the years (mostly structural). 

While you state "rest are practically the same", this does not mean what can bolt up is correct.  Take the bumper systems for example - technically you can swap them with the correct brackets, but they are very different.  Same with the front fenders- inner bracing & wheel openings are different.  If you really look at it, the structure from the firewall forward is completely different. Rear leafs have the isolators in 73-74. Etc.

Maybe it would be more PC to call the '73-'74 "Gen 3.5"  :icon_smile_big:

Nacho-RT74

Still think is exagerated to say that :P

You can interchange the complete front clip from one to another no matter if is 71/72 to 73/73 or backward and ONLY NOTICEABLE diference at attach moment will be the front valance brackest to frame rails. From exterior the car will be THE SAME ;). ( I know wheel opening is different, but almost unnoticeable )

In fact you can keep the original grilles your car had no matter wich one and still will look the same car.

Is the same than compare a 69 with a 70... you also are able to make that interchange AS A COMPLETE FRONT CLIP assembly. with the difference you are changing completely the look, something that doesn't happen with 3rd gens ;)

As far structural parts... is true that frame rails anf inner fenders are completelly different, BUT EVEN IN THAT WAY you can interchange it and then fit the right K member and suspension, any year, drilling weld points and welding again on the other one ( on overhauling will be one day job LOL ), and car will keep the same look. True is a hard job but You won't notice the difference. DESIGN, SHAPE OR LOOKS... call it as you want, is the difference on generations division.

Example you use it about bumper brackets... yes is true but that confirms you don't need any extra job, just use the right ones. That confirm any parts matches between both bodies without change the look.

Springs... I can use 71/72 on my 73/74 and wil bolt on mine keeping my clamps. Same backwards. Only extra job would it be try to install a 73/74 rear axle on to 71/72 or backward, but is not hard job. You have two options. Use the isolated ( or not ) clamps or modify the axle pedestal fitting holes ;). But once again you are not changing the look. Not even extra job, just use the right clamps that bolts perfect on any model.

Wiring for example is practically the same with some small and easy to do mods, like turn around soem wires. That is something that doesn't happen with 69 and 70, where hazzard is located different and also wired totally different. I have analized the 68/69 wiring and 3rd gens. The steering column setup on 70 ( same as 3rd gens ) makes completelly differenet and not interchangeable with rest of 2nd. For a while you turn on the hazzards on 68/69 and when you presss the gas pedal they will turn on, on 70s setup you turn on the hazzards and brake pedal lights are completely desactivated. You won't have brake pedal lights for a while hazzards are turned on.

Like that we can say the same about hideways system, Ignition switch... we can say then ELECTRICALLY STRUCTURA, 68/69 IS COMPLETELLY DIFFERENT FROM 70 AND NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. Except if you change related items, and that includes cluster, column, and lower dash pad etc... lot of job for just some wires.

Even more... some 68 switches are different from 69, becasue on 68 you turns on headlights and parking lights turn off, for a while 69 and 70 keeps on... Same about rear deffog switch... of course those are minor details but is something to consider. I don't need to consider that on mostly 3rd gens, except underdash and engine harness on 74 and engine harness on 71.

I have know also about 66 and 67 wiring are not interchangeable... don't know why since I never have seen those, but that is what did say on some 66/67 registry or source guide website.

The stuff about compare electrical with body, even is not the same size of job and it could be some exagerated, does it have the same quantity of related stuff to take on mind.

HOWEVER I want to clarify that I'm agree that 73/74  ( even more the 74 with also different trunk floor and roof structure because the shoulder seatbelts ) is a very special model with differences already exposed, but that doesn't mean a different gen ;)

STILL THINK THE EBAY CHARGER ACTUALLY IT COULD WORTHS AROUND $15K :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

( compairing with Nadaguides is still cheap, what I know is JUST a guide, not necesarilly the right price )

I think after all this DEFENSE about 73/74 I could it be A LAWYER instead sound and lighting tech LO.

two more points:
Petty said once 73/74 is the best car he drove ever on Nascar...
Performance. I can install a 440 sixpack on my 74 LOL... don't know an Hemi... I think not.

I want to clarify this is not a discussion, just an exposed opinion LOL