News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally, new wheels and tires!

Started by lloyd3, June 22, 2023, 10:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

It's only been some 22 (or 25) years but my rubber is definitely looking a bit shabby these days. Did a little jaunt in the car north to see an old drag-racer buddy (chevys, sigh!) on this past recent Federal holiday (Juneteenth) and... I noticed on his crushed limestone driveway that my back tires are looking a bit threadbare (if I do say so myself).

It's been a while since I've looked, but I've finally given up on keeping 14-inch rims on the car (at least on the back). Have any new (and better) options developed in the tire world since I last looked (a few years ago, like maybe 4?). Then, it was mostly just B.F. Goodrich TAs. Does anybody else make respectable tires for our old girls again?  Also, have the modern incarnation of the newer (& wider) Magnum 500s had any quality control improvements? Please say yes?

Back N Black

I just put a new set of B.F.Goodrich on the rear of my charger, I like em. Its the third set in 5 years. :slap:

b5blue

Universal vintage tire 1 877 231 9925
Coker Tire 866 708 1271
Both have 14's in many types and size.

moparstuart

These are 14's , IMG_2671.jpegIMG_2671.jpegIMG_2672.jpegIMG_2671.jpegIMG_2673.jpegIMG_2674.jpegIMG_2675.jpegIMG_2676.jpeg        were a great price on Amazon have the muscle car look but am amazing modern tread. Perform fantastic in the rain.
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

lloyd3

Those are neat rims but I'm pretty used to looking at Magnum 500s.  What I'd love to hear is what modern sized tire will fit into my stock wheelwells without rubbing anywhere. I'd really rather not have to resort to air-shocks if I can avoid them. In the old days I'd run L-60 14s no problem but...I had to use air shocks. Since my original stock rims are so-narrow (5 1/2-inch?) I'm going to go ahead and buy some 15x7 (or even 8-inch) Magnum 500s for on the back of the car. I'm assuming the new designators will have me looking at P285s or bigger and maybe even 50 series tires?

Also,  perhaps I'm asking in the wrong spot here?

b5blue

15x8" 4.5" backspace on my 70 Charger on all 4.

lloyd3

b5blue: Excellent! What size tires? No air shocks, right?

b5blue

P255 60R Cooper Cobra bone stock suspension. 

lloyd3

b5blue

lloyd3

I looked and I can get 14x8 Magnum 500s but....the tire options are very poor. If I want to fill these wheelwells it'll have to be with 15-inch rims.  Any known issues with running 14s on the front and 15s on the back?

hemigeno

Quote from: lloyd3 on July 04, 2023, 04:22:32 PMAny known issues with running 14s on the front and 15s on the back?

I wouldn't think so - especially since your car was set up for 14" wheels to begin with.  Modern cars might have issues with staggered wheel/tire sizes (front to back), but not a II Gen Charger.

lloyd3

Thank you for that.  I suppose that I can always add 15-inch rims up front at a later date as well.

triple_green

the standard sizes that always fit are rear 15x8 with 4.5" BS and 275x60x15, front 15x7 with 4.25" BS and 235x60x15 tires, the 275s on the back are 2" taller than the stock tire height so they give a little raked look. Also though, they take a little bit of low end grunt away.

You can to with 15x10 on the back and 295x50x15 tires not sure if 5" or 5.5" backspace, seem to work for most but may require a little lift.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

lloyd3

lloyd3

Every time I go to do something for this car a crisis in some form shows up on our doorstep. Minor stuff, really, but there always seems to be some complication. The joys of aging I suppose in that even if you're healthy, somebody somewhere in your circle of friends and family isn't. We've now got two in hospital and and even a job ending (my wife's). I went ahead anyway and ordered the rims today because I'm tired of not driving my car (I do miss it after a while). My son also informs me that the last of the big dragstrips here is closing this Fall (Bandimere) and he wants us to go for one last event there before it's too late. He's back off to school in a month so...time is running out. Now I must find tires and a place to mount them (that I trust).  Baby steps, right?

6pkrtse

I run 295's on 8" wheels on four different sets of different wheels on my Chargers.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

lloyd3

A little update here. Those gorgeous 8x15" rims are sitting on the trunk of the car. My complicated summer just seemed to get more complicated and more expensive so...no action on tires here yet. The 275s sound like they'll be the ticket and I'll try to salvage the lug nuts and the centers but...we'll have to see (big expense if I can't). Snow on the ground here now and the car season, at least for me, is over.  She's now slumbering under her cover. Hopefully, next Spring is a more stable period and there will be time to do all this "right". I say all that and yet I now have to attend a funeral back in the old country next week (flying into Buffalo, NY and driving south, more of the getting older stuff eh?) so... I will at-least get to drive some familiar old-muscle car days turf. Hopefully that'll motivate me for next April or May. 

Sure didn't get much 440 4-gear time during this past Summer and Fall months and that's a drag.  The world is changing and, like it or not, I'm stuck going along for that little ride.  Lots of death and dying this year so-far, and... that takes a lot of the fun out of things.  Don't mean to whine as there were lots of bright spots too.  Hard to remember that sometimes.

Mike DC

BTW, here's a calculator to compare two different tire sizes. 

There are other ones on the net but I like this one.  It's visual and very simple/easy to use.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

lloyd3

Hoping for better times to come.

Kern Dog

375instroke

lloyd3

KD: Sorry, that was a low moment.

Better times would be lighter and brighter, such as next Spring when I'll have the time and money to re-tire my car and go out for a spin. Looking forward to that.