News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Nationals

Started by 69_500, August 14, 2005, 07:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Just got home from a weekend at the Mopar Nationals. It wasn't at all what I was expecting this year. Not that the amount of cars or the quality of racing wasn't up to par for the course. Just the organization of the management leaves a ton to be desired.

Went to this show with the expectations of doing our filming and after 1 1/2 days of filming at the event the oragnizers shut us down. This was after over 15 phone calls before the event, 12 emails, faxes, and even a couple letters requesting permision to be there. All of which went unasnwered. So we went to the show anyways to show the 500, and meet up with other Charger lovers. Got there on Friday and set up 13 owner interview to do on film. Tried all day to get with the event organizers, left notes at their tent and never heard anything from them.

The next morning, my dad is talking to the event organize and he says "pay us 1,000 up front and go ahead and film and we will get back with you and let you know if you can put it out for resale". So we said forget it, we are gonna just chill at this show.

Not too much relaxing went on though, man that event has horrible organization. If it wasn't for the sheer number of cars that attend and people, I would stop going. Get to the show at 7 am on friday morning and go to a port-a-let and there is already toilet paper higher than the seat. This is 1 hour after gates opened?
Parking at the event is a disaster. There is not thought involved in where people can or cannot park. If you have a parking pass for one section there is nobody saying you can't just take your ride and park it wherever you want. At one point I got so irrate at a gentleman in a minivan it was difficult to keep from just slugging him. HEMIgeno will know what I'm talking about.

All in all though the time I got to spend with Geno, Troy, Ying, Jerry with the HEMI 500, and others that was awsome. As far as the whole show is concerned, the event sucks. I suggest to anyone if they want to see a well run show, and a lot of awsome mopars, skip the Mopar Nationals, and go straight to Carlisle.

694spdRT

We usually go to the Nats every year, but Monster Mopar Weekend has been filling the gap if we skip the Nats.

I thought last year was OK because of the Charger spotlight, but the show has lost some of its luster for me also. I do like it better in Columbus even though it is quite a bit farther. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

69_500

I absolutely hate the show being in Columbus. The show as better off here in Indy, or up at Milan, or pretty much at any other facitlity it has been at. the only plus to columbus is Brice Road. But there are roads to cruise up and down at any city.

694spdRT

Quote from: 69_500 on August 14, 2005, 07:54:03 PM
I absolutely hate the show being in Columbus. The show as better off here in Indy, or up at Milan, or pretty much at any other facitlity it has been at. the only plus to columbus is Brice Road. But there are roads to cruise up and down at any city.

I can see someone from the Indy area wanting it local. Brice Road is one of my main reasons for going so that is a big factor. The other thing I did not like in Indy was the shear size of the town. After you get a mile from the track you didn't even know there was a Mopar show going on. The other thing was that long walk they made you do for the first couple years without any or enough shuttles.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

RT DAVE

Quote from: 69_500 on August 14, 2005, 07:54:03 PM

I thought the high end cars were more plentiful when it was at Indy.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Telvis

At least it was nice and warm! :icon_smile_big:

Telvis

Next year I think I'm going to open a bottled water and lemonade stand.  At the prices they get I would have made a bundle. I bet I spen't close $50 on drinks Saturday alone.

Ghoste

As I heard someone else mention over the weekend, the Nats runs itself.  If you think it's poorly run now, you should have seen it some years ago.  It largely trades on it's reputation for being the first large Mopar show and that's why I go.  This made 25 for me so you have to keep the chain going.
I love how they made the swap meet and car corral so much largher and then don't enforce the parking rule.  I have to provide photos of my old car with the application to prove that it exists and then I have nowhere to park because of trailers, minivans, F150's, Suburbans, golf carts and on and on.

69_500

I don't just want the nats here in Indy because its local. The facility at Indy is way nicer, larger, and it doesn't turn into a mud pit at the first hint of rain. When you go to Columbus its either a mud hole, or a dust bowl.
This made the 21st Mopar Nationals that I've attended, and I can honestly say that since they have went back to Columbus I think the show has been going down hill. I really loved the early years shows. The early 80's up in Milan, Indy, St. Louis, all were great.

mopar_madman

Quote from: Telvis on August 14, 2005, 09:11:50 PM
Next year I think I'm going to open a bottled water and lemonade stand.   At the prices they get I would have made a bundle. I bet I spen't close $50 on drinks Saturday alone.

Yeah I learned to bring my own food and drinks in a cooler or just buy drinks from the guys selling in the swap meet.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

41husk

I have been a long time Monster Mopar fan and have never been to the Nats it sounds like I may be making the right choice.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

mustanghater

theirs a huge fairgrounds in lakecounty. its up by the lake. but theirs arn't any hotels near it.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

blackcharger

my main gripe about the Nats was the morons on golf carts. No problem with the disabled/elderly. That's who should be on them. But most were people younger than me(41). Read horror stories on moparts about cars being hit, parts run over. I was hefting a trunk lid for the road runner from the swap meet by myself, and nearly got hit a few times. On the plus, two VERY nice gentlemen did stop and give me a ride on their cart so I didn't pass out from heat stroke.
One more........$3 for a bottle of water????????

ying

hi to eveyone, i lovw going to the nats till i started to bring my car....... what a f#*kin' mess it was for those of us who were at the field. they took your $65.00 then said good luck parking your "show"car. they had piss poor management. no trailers on the grounds was a lie there were trailers eveywhere. i may go back but i dont know about my car. maybe do what countless others do and just go for the brice road antics and the parties at the hotels!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you were there you know the frustrations.................... thanks to all. Tim 
1968 Charger R/T
440 auto
Purple w/silver stripes
3:91
slotted mags

4cruzin

It was definitely HOT this year!!      And yes the organization is terrible . . . but it is the MOPAR NATS!!  This was only my 10th years and I liked it better at the Indy site too!!  Brice road is over rated.  Too many cops!!  Like was said . . . we can cruise down any road!! 
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Just 6T9 CHGR

Sorry some of you had a bad time.   I have never been there myself.  I can say though that my first time at Carlisle with the car was a pleasure to say the least.......

Any pics??
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Troy

I have a few hundred pics but for some reason they frown on me posting them from work... :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

472 R/T SE

I think some of you guys are spoiled. :-*  There's far more big Mopar related events east of the Mississippi.   ;)

We have a few in the NW that average 300 cars and they're tops.

69_500

I would say that we are possibly spoiled with having so many huge shows to attend. However i was just voicing my opinion on how crappy the organization is at the Mopar Nationals. If it wasn't for the fact of seeing 1,000's of cars, I wouldn't go even to walk around. I  think might have been the last year I take the 500. That is until they either get better organized or move to another location.

472 R/T SE

I told my wife after the holidays and I get flying figured out(wheelchair), I'm coming out there next year to see what all the fuss is about. ;D

69_500

The fuss is all about the horribly management.

Chris G.

Quote from: AllBlueRT on August 15, 2005, 06:38:55 PM
I told my wife after the holidays and I get flying figured out(wheelchair), I'm coming out there next year to see what all the fuss is about. ;D

Mike, If I know you like I think I do, you were built for a show like Carlisle. Gorgeous cars, all very well organized. The Nats should be your distant second choice. Plus I get to hang out with you if you go to Carlisle  :punkrocka:. I have to start pricing hotels in a few months. If you want to go, let me know and maybe all of us can try and stay at the same hotel. Last year there were a bunch of us at the same hotel. Maybe we can grab Troy, Danny and the rest of the gang as well.  :2thumbs:

hemigeno

Yeah, I agree that the 'Nats organization left a lot to be desired.   Seems like they just book the track, sell out the spaces, and then just let the show run itself.   It's like they are relying on pure tradition and the appeal of Brice Road to keep the MoparNationals "mystique".   Personally, I was not overly impressed.

This year was the first year I went to either Carlisle or the 'Nats.   Even though I didn't put a Mopar in the show at Carlisle, it was painfully evident within the first 15 minutes how disorganized things were in Columbus/NTR last weekend compared to what I witnessed in July (@ Carlisle).   That doesn't even count the fun Danny and I had with those (insert expletive here) Minivan enthusiasts from New York on Saturday.    :flame:

Strangely enough, I had a much more enjoyable time at the 'Nats than Carlisle - despite the less-than-stellar organizational skills of the show promoters.   It didn't hurt that I had something of mine in the show, but the real reason it was a blast was meeting up with a bunch of guys from the site, and talking with a whole lot of folks who like Chargers (& trucks too!).

That being said, it will be a while before I go back to the 'Nats.   Maybe they'll have their act together in a few years...

69_500

Gene, don't get your hopes up for the Nats getting their act together. Your exactly right on how they just sell out the spaces, and then just let everyone run around however they want.

I thought it was funny when Ying was saying the guys directed him to park his Charger over on a hill, that was rough as heck. Yet they are sending trucks and minivans over to where we parked which was obviously not the spot for 04-05 Trucks or minivans.

The name Mopar Nationals is the only thing that keeps that show running if you ask me. Tried for 2 months to get some information aobut getting a vendors booth or a swap meet space to no avail. Never even heard back from the place.

hotrod98

I only attend the nats every few years since it's so far away, (14 hour drive). I never take any of my cars for several reasons. As much as I love my cars, they're not the most confortable cars in the world to drive for that long. Then, when you get there you have to worry about the car the entire weekend. If it breaks down you have to worry about how to get it home. If you buy stuff at the swap meet you have to have a way to get it home. (that's why I take my truck). And, I go to enjoy looking at other people's cars...I've already seen mine.
We drove the two cudas to Branson this past weekend since it was only a couple of hours away. We'll probably drive one of them to St. Louis and then later to Topeka. Both shows are growing and getting better every year. Not near as many cars, but nowhere near the sensory overload of the nats. With the nats, you try to see and do too much every time. At least I do and then I feel like I missed something. The St Louis and Topeka shows are very organized and very enjoyable. They don't replace the nats, but they're so much closer.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams