News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ever been to a Tom Petty concert?

Started by bull, May 28, 2006, 08:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Tom Petty is coming to the Portland area on July 29 and I was kind of thinking about going, if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Are his shows worth the trouble or am I better off just sticking with the CD player?

2Gunz

I have never been.

But hes not going to tour forever.

Might be worth it to go just so you can say you did  :)

Orange_Crush

Quote from: bull on May 28, 2006, 08:43:21 PM
Tom Petty is coming to the Portland area on July 29 and I was kind of thinking about going, if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Are his shows worth the trouble or am I better off just sticking with the CD player?

I went to a petty show back in '90 or so.  Wasn't really doing much for me until I caught a good buzz and then the combination of his music and his very elaborate stage got very entertaining.

If you like Petty's music, it'd be worth going.  He's one of a handful of artists I've seen who's live music sounds better than the studio stuff.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Jon Smith

never seen him myself but i figure if you like someone and they're touring nearby, its always worth going
seeing george thorogood on friday :musik010: :punkrocka:

Lowprofile

The CD is the way to go, IMHO.  Seen him 10+ years ago......... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:  Just my  :Twocents: :blahblah:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

greenpigs

I have heard it is a big pot fest, so bring munchies and the grandkids. ;)
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

derailed

never been myself so i cant say but my old lady likes his stuff but said he wasnt that good when she saw him live  :shruggy:

Old Moparz

Just go, or you'll be questioning yourself about it for years.

I love concerts & have been going to them since the mid 1970's. Without exaggeratinig, I'd bet I've seen several hundred shows & have only been disappointed with about 3 or 4 times in total. Even the crappy ones were still okay & made for a fun night out. I'm not a Tom Petty fan, but live shows are very different & have an atmosphere you'll never recreate in your living room with a CD player, a tape or a record. I'd bet money the show will be a good one.

There's a bunch of people I got to see live that aren't alive anymore, & if I didn't go, I would have missed out on a small piece of history. Here's a list of people & bands I've seen & glad I did, since they either aren't with us anymore, have split up, or may not be around for long.

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Roy Buchannan
Ray Charles
Jerry Lee Lewis
John Lee Hooker
Willie Dixon
Queen (with Freddie Mercury)
BB King
Les Paul
Hot Tuna
Jeff Beck
Edgar & Johnny Winter
Weather Report
Pink Floyd (with Roger Waters)
Alvin Lee
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Jon Smith

:iagree:

i'm not a big fan of whitesnake, but i saw them on saturday night and it was a great show
just go

4cruzin

I'd pass on Petty but Whitesnake I'd go to!   :yesnod: 
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

PocketThunder

Quote from: Jon Smith on May 30, 2006, 12:43:49 PM
:iagree:

i'm not a big fan of whitesnake, but i saw them on saturday night and it was a great show
just go
Quote from: 4cruzin on May 30, 2006, 11:09:11 PM
I'd pass on Petty but Whitesnake I'd go to!   :yesnod: 

I saw whitesnake a couple years ago and they kicked ass!!      :rock: Here i go again on my own...... going down the only road i've ever know :rock:

Hey did you know that when you click on the "[more]" smileys button this rock dude :rock: shows up at the far left and the far right? :ahum:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Old Moparz

Now I have to think about Whitesnake. I saw them as well, but they opened for someone years ago & I don't recall who. Ian Paice & John Lord was with them back then, as well as Coverdale. Seemed like they might have been opening for Jethro Tull.  :shruggy:

EDIT:
Okay, my memory still works.  :D

http://eightiesclub.tripod.com/id244.htm

It says they opened for Jethro Tull in September of 1980 & also that Paice & Lord were with them back then. I saw Tull several times over the years & they were always a great live band. (Martin Barre is an awesome guitarist, by the way.)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

BrianShaughnessy

I could have seen Petty last year with the Black Crowes opening at SPAC... but we waited till New Years eve to see the Crowes alone.  I just got my Crowes tickets at SPAC...  minus Petty.     I want tp be entertained...  my life is boring enough without sleeping thru a band I don't really want to see.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

PocketThunder

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on May 31, 2006, 03:49:52 PM
I could have seen Petty last year with the Black Crowes opening at SPAC... but we waited till New Years eve to see the Crowes alone.  I just got my Crowes tickets at SPAC...  minus Petty.     I want tp be entertained...  my life is boring enough without sleeping thru a band I don't really want to see.

thats what i hate the most is going to multi band concerts and sitting thru the band that sucks and then waiting for a F-ing hour inbetween shows for the next band to come on! :icon_smile_angry:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Jon Smith

the main reason i went to see whitesnake was cause these were on first :musik010:

click on launch player :icon_smile_cool:

http://www.theanswer.ie/music.html

Steve P.

Does your wife want to go or are you just kicking this around?? If she wants to go and is really excited, then buy all means go. Otherwise turn on the radio and get to work on the Charger...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

nh_mopar_fan

Nevermind Petty, Clapton just announced his US tour dates!

bull

Quote from: Steve P. on May 31, 2006, 04:53:52 PM
Does your wife want to go or are you just kicking this around?? If she wants to go and is really excited, then buy all means go. Otherwise turn on the radio and get to work on the Charger...

I haven't even talked to her about it yet but our usual take on concerts is that they're an overpriced hassle. There are few things in life that I will pay good money to place myself among 10,000 other people to see. So yea, I'm just kicking it around.

Kirkvkid

Well at least you had a good experience with the Crowes.  A few years ago my buddies and I saw them up at Darien Lake, not too long before they split up.  They sounded awesome except they only played their new CD.  Nothing from 'shake your moneymaker', 'amorica', etc.  Thats it, 12 songs or so from 'Lions'.  Don't get me wrong, I have the album and like it alot, but I didn't pay 45 bucks to hear it cover to cover. >:(  So I was pretty disappointed with the band after that.  I still love listening to them, but I wasn't that bothered to hear they split or that thrilled that they are back together again.

I guess in all fairness they were probably fed up with each other and on the verve of splitting, just no one else knew yet.  I hope they got their stuff together and put on another sweet show for you.

I always look at concerts this way.  If you shelled out the dough for one of their/his/her cd/tape/8-tracks :o, if you can afford it and if there isn't anyone you like better playing around the same time.....then go.

-Sal

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Kirkvkid on June 02, 2006, 04:16:28 PM

Well at least you had a good experience with the Crowes.  A few years ago my buddies and I saw them up at Darien Lake, not too long before they split up.  They sounded awesome except they only played their new CD.  Nothing from 'shake your moneymaker', 'amorica', etc.  Thats it, 12 songs or so from 'Lions'.  Don't get me wrong, I have the album and like it alot, but I didn't pay 45 bucks to hear it cover to cover. >:(  So I was pretty disappointed with the band after that.  I still love listening to them, but I wasn't that bothered to hear they split or that thrilled that they are back together again.

I guess in all fairness they were probably fed up with each other and on the verve of splitting, just no one else knew yet.  I hope they got their stuff together and put on another sweet show for you.

I always look at concerts this way.  If you shelled out the dough for one of their/his/her cd/tape/8-tracks :o, if you can afford it and if there isn't anyone you like better playing around the same time.....then go.

They're a bit on the strange side as far as what they play or not.     Lots of people on their fan sites don't want to hear the few hits they have.     I figure for a 2 hour show if they play the 4-5 songs or so that always get played on the radio, then "most" people that show up are happy because they'll only spend less than 1/4 of the show doing radio hits for the chicks and the rest of the time doing jams or other stuff.

Last year they played at the Chance as Mr. Crowes Garden - it rocked...  and then I went to the New Years Eve thing at Madison Square...  and that was worth all the hassle... except the ollady was pissed they didn't play "she talks to angels" - go figure.  :P      What's really cool is that I downloaded those shows too.

Anyway,  I've always liked going to shows and listening to live albums too.   I just don't get to go as much as I'd like to anymore.     Shows used to be pretty affordable when tickets were around $10.   Not so anymore.     The 2 internet pre-sale tickets cost $110 / pair after surcharges.   They started at $45 each.   Figure I gotta spend $100 and probably more on gas, tolls,  food,  drinks, and T-shirts when we get there.     

I'm thinking anymore that concert DVD's are the way to go for some people...   Into the Fog from the  Crowes is pretty good.     Go hook up the surround sound,  get a few brewskis and get the ollady drinking some wine and have a party for 2 for about $20  :yesnod:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Jon Smith

well i dont know about petty, but if you get the chance go and see george thorogood and the destroyers
i went last night and it was awesome :musik010:

greenpigs

Quote from: Jon Smith on June 03, 2006, 04:06:52 AM
well i dont know about petty, but if you get the chance go and see george thorogood and the destroyers
i went last night and it was awesome :musik010:

I thought he was dead? :icon_smile_dead:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

nh_mopar_fan

I've seen Thorogood a couple of times. Great show. We had 2nd row a couple years ago. Good time. He's playing in this area this summer but I have a conflict....

73ChargerSE

George Throgood is amazing live.  He has such an awesome stage presence and you get into it really easily.

Mudhawg