News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dumb Question

Started by Mike1268, January 01, 2023, 08:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike1268

Does anybody know a legitimate reason why the driver's side lug nuts are reverse thread?  Maybe something to do with oval track racing?

70 sublime

All mopars came like that from the factory in that era
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Mike1268

O.K., but why?  There must be some reason behind it when no other manufacturer was doing it.

BrianShaughnessy

LH thread on driver's side didn't loosen up while driving.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Mike1268

So, from an engineering standpoint, nobody really knows for sure?  I've had many cars over the years with RH threads on the driver's side. Not one has loosened up on me.

Nacho-RT74

The wheels rotation “could get loose” the nuts on LH due is the same nuts loosening direction. Hence why were reversed.

I guess with years reanalized the milesimal chances that could happen specially getting the right torque on them make to despite that idea and got them corrected to the universal righti sense… saving from mistakes and uncomfort for owners and mechs. ( and assembly plant )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

b5blue

Correct the wheel spin converts to torque on the lug nut which could conceivably reverse the nut off the lug. 

6bblgt

other manufacturers had LH lug nuts, they just gave up on the practice before Mopar did

kent

Last summer I stopped to help a women put her wheel back on her minivan. Her husband never torqued/tightened her lugs. It took her wheel around 15 miles to come off. I picked up 4 of the 5 lug nuts within 100 feet of each other. The look on her face. I would have hated to be her husband. Who was on the way. :RantExplode:
The rotation will aid in them coming off if not tightened/torqued properly.
Kent

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mike1268

Thank You.  The video explained a lot!

XH29N0G

Glad it is sorted.

I found out the hard way that improperly torqued RH lugnuts and bolts can back out on the drivers side.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

65lb is proper torque.  :2thumbs: