News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Post pics of the most wrecked Charger you have ever found/come across:

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, December 12, 2011, 02:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

That GTX looks terrible.... The front end twisted 180 degrees to rest upside down.

Bill_T

Yes I've seen it in several places over the years. There was even a big argument in A-Bodies forum. There was a very similar accident involving teens again unfortunately back around same time in Pennsylvania and the car there had eerily similar damage. One of the forum members had been on the squad run for the wreck in Pennsylvania apparently and insisted that pic was of the Pennsylvania wreck. It isn't. The dump truck in background of this pic even shows the Bushelman Co. name clearly on the door. The quality of the photo here is a bit too blurry to see it well but it is definitely there on the truck. I don't like arguing over what amounts to unimportant things but I knew those guys and know their names(I'm old!). The GTX belonged to the driver's older brother. Not sure if I was his father I would have allowed my 16 year old son to go out on Friday night driving a 440 GTX. As far as the front end being twisted. It is actually not connected at all. The front end was torn off, the engine was thrown down the road quite a ways. The passenger door was no longer connected either. Looks like they stood it up for the photo.None of the damage was done by rescuers cutting on car. All from the crash itself. The police believe they were going over 100 mph when the wreck occurred. The police pretty much dumped the wreckage in a pile where it sits in that pic. At some point they took the back half of the car around on a trailer and set it in various highschool parking lots with a sign in an attempt to disuade young people from drinking and driving.

HANDM

Back in high school 86-87, there was the same gruesome spectacle a couple times, one was a 70 chevelle and the other a mustang. Both still had the blood on the inside from the fatalities.  :eek2:

Bill_T

Compared to those cars back then, cars today run like they're on rails. With the tire and suspension technology common at that time, a low 14 second car or any car that could crack near or at 100 mph in the 1/4 could get away from you real quick. Add alcohol and you're really asking for trouble. Those fellas were going around a slight left bend at the top of a hill and at the speed they were going, the tires just lost grip.

Mike DC

The changes over the decades are a mixed bag IMO.  Modern cars are way safer when the wreck happens, hands down.  And the suspensions have more forgiving designs.  But modern cars lure you into a false sense of security too.  They tend to feel slower than they really are at high speeds.  The centered mass, the stiff sway bars, the wide radials . . . this stuff handles "better" but it masks how far you are getting into trouble.  When the car finally comes loose you can't recover it. 

Bill_T

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 11, 2022, 05:36:50 PM

The changes over the decades are a mixed bag IMO.  Modern cars are way safer when the wreck happens, hands down.  And the suspensions have more forgiving designs.  But modern cars lure you into a false sense of security too.  They tend to feel slower than they really are at high speeds.  The centered mass, the stiff sway bars, the wide radials . . . this stuff handles "better" but it masks how far you are getting into trouble.  When the car finally comes loose you can't recover it. 

Good point. Honestly, one of the main things I remember about the old musclecars is the ones that had power steering. That old power steering had no road feel at all. But you know what? We were used to driving cars like that.

hemi-hampton

hemi-hampton

Quote from: chargervert on December 27, 2022, 12:36:19 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 11, 2022, 10:29:03 PM
:scratchchin:

The red Daytona in Ted Stephens junkyard was resurrected.

Yes, I know, by AMD. After he said it would never be restored. LEON.

P.S. restored or rebodied :scratchchin: :shruggy:

I think 1% of original car was used.

b5blue

chargervert

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 27, 2022, 02:46:12 PM
Quote from: chargervert on December 27, 2022, 12:36:19 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 11, 2022, 10:29:03 PM
:scratchchin:

The red Daytona in Ted Stephens junkyard was resurrected.

Yes, I know, by AMD. After he said it would never be restored. LEON.

It was actually done on the television show Chop Cut Rebuild.

P.S. restored or rebodied :scratchchin: :shruggy:

I think 1% of original car was used.

hemi-hampton

Didn't see that show, I know they used all AMD panels & AMD took it on a country wide advertising tour to promote their products. LEON.

chargervert

Yes,I saw the car at Carlisle. A friend of mine made and installed the rear window plug on the car.