News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which would you buy? '99 Charger or '09 Challenger.

Started by 69Charger_440, May 25, 2006, 10:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Charger_440

That is of course if the Charger had gone into production, and the Challenger actually goes into production.  Just curious to see some of the answers.

The Ghoul

99 hands down!
Hell Id rather buy a stratus with charger badges on it than the pos they ended up with. 

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

arneson

I'd buy the Challenger just by reading the info on it,if you were to shift from 3 to 4 at 75 mph you would be lugging the the engine.The new Charger looks like it is for the guy with 4 kids and his wife gives him permission to by it,were the Challenger looks like you're going to run a stop sign in front of 10 cops and then loose them in a chase

Brock Samson

he's actually asking about the '1999 Charger concept that the germans pulled the plug on...

here's some  pics..

Brock Samson

sure looks like Laura Dern..  :P

here's the Charger RT stablemate over at chrysler that also had it's plug pulled.
the Chrysler Hemi 300.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.chrysler300site.com/images/hemi_c_convertible_04.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.chrysler300site.com/cgibin/history.cgi%3Fhemi&h=241&w=400&sz=25&tbnid=EK7T7zccCJz_wM:&tbnh=72&tbnw=120&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3DHemi%2B300%2Bconvertible%2Bconcept%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DX

i would have bought that one myself.  :-\
I hadn't known Laura married Ben Harper...

Personally that Challys too big by at least 3-400 lbs. and did ya see the actual dimensions?..

CNH 320

A Challenger, and slam some "Charger" badges on it. :icon_smile_approve:

BrianShaughnessy

The  99.

While I certainly respect the E body legacy and all that,   I've never actually wanted to own an E-body that much.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

4402tuff4u

I'm a B body Charger die hard, but the 99 concept has not really done it for me. The front nose is too much "corvettish/viperish". I have not seen yet an actual new "Charger" concept that I can truely say "that's a retro Charger right there!". They always seem to screw up the nose design with these concept ideas - you can't actually make the connection between the new concept and the original design - it's just not there in my opinion. Don't get me wrong the 99 concept is 100% better than the magnum called Charger, but it still failed to meet my expectations & opinion of a retro Charger.

I'm not to hot for E bodies and never really been, but I have to say that the new Challenger is definetely a successful design in the retro department, so my vote is for the Challenger until I see a new Charger that I like........................and yes I would buy the new Challenger because I think it's going to handle very nicely and it's a hot looking design. :yesnod:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

plum500

I think the Challenger. I honestly wasn't all that jazzed about the 99 when I first saw it. Then the back 2/3 grew on me once I saw some better shots -- they nailed it, but just wasn't crazy over the front. All that being said -- it still kicks '06 butt, and yet still has 4 doors.

But, I think I'd take the Challenger. Now -- if they did a modern Charger in Charger fashion....different story altogether :D

Ghoste

Hmmm, interesting choice.  I think for me it would depend on my mood for the day and today it would likely be the 99 concept Charger.  That decision is based on styling but I think the Challenger is a better thought out concept as far as performance and handling go so I reserve the right to cahnge my mind on another day. ;D

Beep Beep Dave

Great question!!!
For me it would be the Challenger...if they ever build it I think that will be my 1st new car!!!

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

THE COLONEL

The Challenger for me as well.  I will get one, when they come out, and I'm hoping they have the lime green with that black carbon fiber on teh hood.  That would be sweet!!!  They need to come back out with the old colors.  Plum Carzy would be nice too. ;)
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

chargerboy69

Looks like most are picking the Challenger. . . I would pick that as well. . Love the new Challenger.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Dale The Bold

I would pick th '99  Charger.  Even though I heard they were never going to release it, after seeing it at a show and the reaction it got, I KNEW they would release it.  After all, only complete morons wouldn't.

The front end was not perfect, but it was modern and retro, in a perfect blend.  It was four doors, but actually looked like a two door (for real, unlike the Enforcer).  I was ready to buy one.
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

Recharger

Quote from: Brock Sampson on May 26, 2006, 01:00:37 AM
he's actually asking about the '1999 Charger concept that the germans pulled the plug on...

:iagree:

I'd go for the 99 concept.  No question.  I always thought it was a cool design, regardless if the front nose was sorta similar to vette or viper or whatever.  If you're going to claim it had similiarities to a corvette, you've got to admit that the old chally's (and cudas) were very similar to the camaros, as the new one is similar to the new camaro concept.  In any case, I've never been a big fan of "retro styling."  It's kind of a cop out, really.  I could be a designer too if all it meant was slightly altering old body styles.  I have no problem with maintaining a few styling cues or emblems over the years, but if you just make a new car to look like an old one, where do you go from there?  Will the new retro Mustang end up looking like the shitbox hatchbacks of the early 80s in 15 years?  Same for the new Camaro, if it gets made?  And what then of the new Challenger.  Will they just pull the plug in 4 years, since it never survived that long before?  If you base your design on the past, the future becomes limited.  Oh well, I won't be buying any of them, most likely, so I'l get off my soapbox.

BTW Brock/Harvey/Stratowhoeveryouaretoday  that 300 does bear a stiking similarity to some of today's benz's.  Dirty thievin' Germans... :flame:

greenpigs

I think the 99 Charger is WAY better than the new production one, but I would buy an 09 Challenger.   Thing is the Challenger actually has a chance to become made, the 99 is just a what if.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

RT/SE

I'd buy the 09 Challenger because my first car when I was 16 was a 1970 R/T Challenger.  Also, I own my dream 1969 Charger now - a factory triple black 4 speed RT/SE. I've attached a photo of my Challenger which was taken in 1984.  I used to drive my Challenger to high school and my part time job at the time (I would spend all the money I earned on gas + fixing up the car).  It had a 440 in it but I had 383 emblems on the hood.  I ended up selling the car and unfortunately it was totalled by the person who bought it from me a short time after the sale.  Such a shame........may she rest in peace  :angel:

73chgrSE

Why don't they build this. I don't know who drew it but it kicks ass. Alot closer to a "real charger" imho.

69Charger_440

Interesting choices.  I think I would buy the Challenger, even though I am a diehard Charger fan.  The new Chally looks more like its predecessor, and the Charger has several designing flaws that I detest.  Like the "Dodge Avenger" nose that it has, and the bulky rear end.  I also read somewhere that they could not design the front end as in the past because of aerodyniamic issues they would have.  Anyhow, it will be interesting to see if these retro-cars are here to stay or is just a phase these companies are going through.

73chgrSE

miamivice

Lowprofile

Challenger, hands down.  426ci, 6 speed, Hemi Orange. Oh yea!  :drool5: :2thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL