News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who here would let their son drive their Charger to the Prom?

Started by lloyd3, March 03, 2022, 12:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

My now 18-year old son has turned out to be a pretty good kid. He works all the time now (after school and weekends) getting only 2 nights a week off (usually Tuesday and Wednesday) and has for 6-months now. He doesn't seem to drink or do the druggie thing (& I think I'd notice). His girlfriends seem to be good kids as well (no psychos or idiots, at least not yet). All in all, very level headed and surprisingly dependable. No auto accidents (yet) and no other legal or even school problems (he graduates from his highschool in May and starts college in the Fall).  His car ('60 Dart) will be available by then, but....he asked the other day about using my 68 R/T for the big event. My initial response was "no" and for all the usual reasons, but am I being ridiculous?

BrianShaughnessy

You'd have to check your insurance policy.   Most classic policies don't cover under 25 (?). 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

66FBCharger

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on March 03, 2022, 12:12:37 PM
You'd have to check your insurance policy.   Most classic policies don't cover under 25 (?). 

Great point! I didn't even think of that.
Until I read the comment about the insurance, I would have said, "yes let him take it".
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

70 sublime

If my son asked to borrow my car for the big day I think I would let him because he understands what my car means to me
But for that reason of the added pressure I think he would not ask  :yesnod:

But yes the insurance issue is a problem and have pointed it out to my daughter when she wanted to borrow it ( she drives way too fast so it worked in my favour )
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Daytona R/T SE

It's not your son that you have to worry about.

It's everybody else's kids.

Most humans just don't think.

When I was 16 I pulled my car into the local hangout and my friend decided it would be fun to plop his 200+ pound football playing ass on the front of my car and ride it across the lot. It was an Opel GT and I had just spent the whole summer doing the bodywork and paint.

The entire area between the hood and front bumper was caved in.

The end result was I had to redo my work and all I got out of him was "Sorry"

I didn't think he intended to wreck my shit, but in the end I'm the one who had to fix it.

You have a Charger...some moron may decide to do a Luke Duke hood slide in the parking lot when your son is not around.

Some chick may sit on the fender so her boy friend can take a picture.

The possibilities for stupidity by others are pretty much endless.

Homerr

I was generally a good kid.  That said, my GF's dad lent us his Porsche and I did end up doing 4 wheel power slides around a few corners in downtown Portland.

68RT440

Yea, I'd be more worried about the other guys doing dumb stuff, not necessarily your son. I could see some bonehead trying to imitate the Dukes of Hazzard by trying to climb through the window...
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

kent

Well when my son asked to borrow my new truck to take to his prom I looked him square in the eye and said " Not charming likely" (I let his sister take the roadrunner) I proceeded to remind him of the dents he put in his mothers car when he first started to drive. He come home one day with the trunk/rear quarter panels dented from the inside out. Picking up car parts from a u-pick for his buddy.  Now hear me out. I must of struck a nerve with him or opened his eyes or something. He seemed to change and change quick. Bought his own car soon after that. Bought his own house at 20. And just about 16 months ago I gave him that truck that he asked to take to the prom. He's no paper pusher. He a metal worker busting his balls like most of us. Nothing come for free and you have to work for it. Which he does. I was so proud the way he turned his life around. I thought WTF, give him the truck. One of the best decisions of my life. Sorry for giving my perspective on the question but I would have to say prove that you deserve to take that Charger. But by the sounds of your young buck he's already done it.  Like others have mentioned I'd be nervous of the others. I'm sure your son would understand. Give him it with a full tank of gas some beautiful summer day and tell him "Bring it home in one piece"
Here's a picture of me and the boy on one of the best days of my life.
Kent

RallyeMike

I agree with RT/SE. Not only behavior of other kids to worry about..... but where is it going to be? Where will it be parked?.... unattended?

Have you reminded him there is more elbow room in the back seat of his Dodge than the Charger  ;)
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

RiverRaider

Swapping vehicles worked for a friend of mine.  A couple years back his son drove his Road Runner for prom.  He used it to drive his girlfriend and another couple to the lake for pictures etc. and to the prom.
When the kids got to the prom with the Roadrunner he was there with another vehicle for his son drive.  The kids got a few more pictures and went inside and he then swapped cars and drove the RR home.
A lot of sitting around waiting but he said it was worth it.  The next day his son told him it was a relief to get to the prom because he didn't have to worry about Dad's car anymore.

My first Charger was a Stock Car.

70 sublime

Quote from: RiverRaider on March 04, 2022, 08:59:16 AM
Swapping vehicles worked for a friend of mine.  A couple years back his son drove his Road Runner for prom.  He used it to drive his girlfriend and another couple to the lake for pictures etc. and to the prom.
When the kids got to the prom with the Roadrunner he was there with another vehicle for his son drive.  The kids got a few more pictures and went inside and he then swapped cars and drove the RR home.
A lot of sitting around waiting but he said it was worth it.  The next day his son told him it was a relief to get to the prom because he didn't have to worry about Dad's car anymore.

That is the best solution yet  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

CDN72SE

I'm guessing he is a good driver or the answer would definitely be good. Besides all the good qualities if you don't have road sense then you are in trouble. Like most others have said it's the other fools you have to watch out for.

Our legal driving age is 16 and that's when I got my liscence and drove my dads 1976 Dodge Royal Monaco, I can't even image 16 year olds these days driving, lol.
1972 Charger SE

DAY CLONA

This Dad thought his "strait laced" son was responsible enough to let him have the use of his RR on Prom/Grad night...(I have a pic somewhere of the passenger's/friends case of beer on the passenger seat taken by the cops)...... with the price to replace/repair a vintage auto today, the risks are too high IMHO, a parent has enough to worry about their Child's wellbeing/safekeeping in this world today, yeah sure it's cool to cruise up to a prom/graduation/event in vintage iron, but let that be with his own wheels IMHO....

When I was in High School (70's) I had my Challenger T/A as a daily driver (which I still have almost close to 50 years later) I bought this car with money I earned, insured it with money I earned, and repaired it when I broke it with my own money and I had a blast having a cool car when other kids had mom/dads 2nd hand beater or nothing at all, but I was strict with myself to never drive it to parties/proms/school functions/etc because I saw too many kids wrap one up either drunk, high or just showing off, and sometimes getting their ride creamed just sitting in the lot by some other fool doing stupid sh1t... believe me I was no angel, I street raced any chance I got and did stupid things behind the wheel, but if I messed up my ride in any way, it was all on me, and nobody to answer to but myself....I wouldn't want to put my son/daughter in a position where they have to tell me how sorry and bad they feel, if something was to happen with my prized property I entrusted to them, whether it's their fault or not, JMO...

Mike

b5blue

If he's been driving it consistently all along I'm sure it would be a honor and he and the car would be fine. He is going to inherit the Charger anyway right?  :scratchchin: 

lloyd3

You folks are a treasure, thank you! As I mentioned earlier, I told him "no" for the obvious reasons (which you all have outlined here very succinctly). The answer that really sealed the deal for me was the collector's insurance requirement of any driver being 25-years old. Mine requires that as well so...he'll have to arrange other options for the prom. His car is clearly the obvious choice (a least to me) but his mom's fancy new (to us) crossover SUV is available as well.  As has been mentioned here already, he's not who I'm worried about, it's all the variables he can't begin to control at an event such as this one. It's true that he will eventually get this car as well, but only after I'm finally done with it.  Not exactly sure when that might be just yet.

lloyd3

DougMN

Todd Wilson

Nope! I wouldnt do it! Worry more about others hurting it then the boy. But boys will be boys............

Just wouldnt do it if I was in the situation...........

Todd