News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger - Insurance value

Started by Mike1268, February 25, 2022, 03:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike1268

Hello all,
            I'm looking for a real value of what my wife and I should insure this 1969 Charger for.  I'll do my best to describe its history.  This is my father in laws car.  He bought this new in 1969 as a divorce present to himself. It's a one-owner car that's been garaged for 53 years. It's never seen a winter.  It has approx 53,000 original miles on it. It's a 383, 4bbl, 4speed car.  It's had one repaint that it didn't need, in its original color. There was no rust on the car. At the time I told Tom that he might be de-valuing the car by getting it painted. His response was "I want it to have shiny paint like the new cars have, and I'm not selling it so the value doesn't mean anything to me. I know he paid 11K for the paint job.  It wasn't cheap. The engine has never been out of the car or rebuilt.  Tom found a guy who painted the engine in the car.  The inside looks as good as the outside with no rips, tears, or cracks on anything. You would be hard-pressed to find a better one-owner car.  Currently, Tom is in hospice, and my wife and I will inherit this car. Sorry, it's not for sale.

NHCharger

Did you see what cars were going for at the Mecuum Auction last month?? Wife and I figured all our Mopars just went up 10-20% in value.
If the car is what you described easily north of 50k. I've seen projects listed for 20-30k.
Might want to find someone to give you a written appraisal. Market is kind of weird right now.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

AKcharger

mr. hemi

Hagerty's price guide shows it as approx. $68000 for a #2 car. Now some people do not care for Hagerty's price guide, but I find it somewhat accurate for today's inflated prices. If you are looking for a value for insurance, they cannot argue with their own price guide.

Certainly is a nice Charger.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

triple_green

are you wanting it to value for the estate or for insurance after your ownership?
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Mike1268

Thank you guys for all the input.  I really appreciate it.  The Charger is a very nice example of a one-owner car that's never been wrecked and always taken care of.  Were going to keep it in the family and plan on driving it on occasions.

tcs69rt

Shop around for Insurance too. I was with Hagerty for a few years and watched prices go up with them too much. I switched over to Grundy about 8 years ago. No issues but have never tried to file a claim either.
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

INTMD8

Just guessing but would say 85k as pictured.

95k if you can bring it back to original paint, or as-is and replace the tires with, well, anything else.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Challenger340

Certainly a very fine Charger  :2thumbs:
Goofy market right now so tougher than ever to valuate ?
but in the condition/provenance as described I believe $65K(Low) to the $70K to $80K range(probable) depending on motivations for the 4 Spd which is quite desirable.
Just my opinion.... but as you move above $80K mark right now and closer to $100K the collectible/numbers component goes up dramatically..... with similar provenance/history/survivor R/T's now competing in that $80K to $100K segment. NOT saying it wouldn't get a look in that higher range ?.... just that it is still a 383 Car ? 
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Kern Dog

I like those raised while letter tires!

XH29N0G

Nice car.  Only comment about driving is make sure the tires (which look nice) are up to date since old tires can fail even when they look good.  I would get a set of rims and tires to drive on and save those if it were me.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

tcs69rt

One WARNING about Hagerty and my experience could have been with a new person? I had to do a renewal and they wanted pics of all 4 sides of my car, again. I put Centerline rims on it and when the agent received the pics he said my car was no longer stock, it was customized with the rims and I would be put in the expensive "modified class" of cars. I told the agent that newer rims and wider tires help the car handle better/safer but he wasn't accepting that unless I put the stock rims back on. That's another reason why I switched to Grundy...
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."