News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Newer SUV here

Started by lloyd3, December 14, 2021, 09:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Just picked up a Mazda CX 9. Got tired of feeding spark plugs to that old Montero and gave it away (at 176k miles).  This is a newer unit (2017) but with lots of supposedly highway miles (140k). Any known problems with these vehicles? Black, twin-turbo 4 cylinder and all wheel drive (normally, all would be a deterrent for me) but this thing looks and drives great. An emotional purchase to help out a widow in a tight spot, hoping it wasn't a foolish decision. The only other Mazda we've ever owned was a '94 RX-7 and it was pretty impressive, so....taking a chance on this one. Lots of bells and whistles (heads-up display, adaptive cruse, blind spot warning systems,  etc.).  Quite a departure  from our normal modes of transport.

b5blue

Both of my boys bought new Mazda 3's. One saved my son's life in a car totaling crash. (He re-bought the exact same model.) Zero issues.  :2thumbs:

moparstuart

service that engine like clock work  , they are super expensive to replace  , small and under powered for an CUV/SUV  so of course they twin turbo it  :eek2:   Not a good idea    
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Quote from: moparstuart on December 14, 2021, 01:43:16 PM
service that engine like clock work  , they are super expensive to replace  , small and under powered for an CUV/SUV  so of course they twin turbo it  :eek2:   Not a good idea    

A lot of these new engines are small displacement, direct injected (carbon build up over time),  turbo or twin turbo.    All complicated and guaranteed to break.  Even engines with timing chains have tensioner and guide wear issues.  If they tell you it has a long oil change interval, cut it in half.   It's like these late model engines are going backwards.

lloyd3

Endless technology in this one, no question.  Well.... I guess we'll see how far such an engine will go with prudent use. I don't expect forever, but 250k would be sufficient for my purposes and I don't think that's unreasonable considering the track record of some of these Japanese vehicles.  What seemed impossible to me just 25-years ago is commonly done now by many vehicles. Fuel efficient, fun (powerful!), comfortable and very safe cars (& trucks) are now the norm. Our 60's musclecars are complete dinosaurs in so-many ways. Beautiful, yes, and rolling art, but...dirty and even deadly when compared to the new stuff. Their saving grace until now has been their simplicity, but even that has limits. As daily drivers in even moderate modern traffic, they would be a complete failure now (at least economically).  Nostalgia can only carry you so-far, and if we live long enough... I guess we'll see just how far that really is.  I don't have a crystal ball (thankfully!) but many automotive manufacturers are now planning for the end of internal combustion vehicles, replacing them with hybrid and even all-electric units. Our big noisy gas-guzzlers are going to look even more out-of-place in a world full of those vehicles.  Here's hoping that the future won't be so dystopic that cars such are ours are banned from the roads and even seized for recycling. The way things are going, that doesn't seem so far-fetched right now.

lloyd3

lloyd3

Got a fairly thorough review of this unit by my mechanic (but only after I'd bought it, which is very poor planning). The only suggestion he had about it (after repeating what Moparstuart cautioned about frequent oil changes) was the use of only premium fuels in it.  Welcome to the 21st century, right?

b5blue

Google it for "problems".  :scratchchin: