News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

change manual steering to power

Started by buckmaster607, August 01, 2021, 01:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckmaster607

Hello, I have a 66 charger that came from factory with power steering and air. Somebody removed both. I would at least like to change back to power steering. I found 2 66's and 1 67 charger in old junk yard. Would I need to change steering column? Any issues with using pump that has been sitting for so long? I have 318 poly, pulley is on motor. Thanks!

AKcharger

Hi Bucky! welcome to the forum

- steering colum is identical...I've never had delt with you an issue but never heard of of a "maunual colum"
- Did they swap out the gear box? if NOT excellt chance it will leak at rear seal. If they did new unit should be good
- As for your old pump it's a crap shoot, it may leak...may not. I'd give it a try it's only 15 mins work to install
- I'm getting my factory A/C working again too...watch some of my posts. So far I'm working a bad A/C clutch

buckmaster607

Thanks old timer!

Having hard time focusing on your post, for some reason my eyeballs are bouncing! Other sites I have been on claim the columns are shorter for power. Have a manual box on car now. No other parts other than engine pulley.
Thanks!

John Milner

I know that on a 68-70 B body, the steering column shaft is longer or shorter depending on if you have manual or power steering.  I would assume that 66-67 is like a 68-70 in that aspect but I don't know for sure since I have never worked on a 66-67.

b5blue

westcoastdodge

Just done this on my '68,column for power is exactly 3" shorter than the manual one on the second gen anyways :cheers:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

buckmaster607

beautiful v-8!!! You are correct, just found out today 1st gen is the same way, exactly 3" shorter on power. Thanks!

AKcharger

Ooops, sorry for bad advice on colum

buckmaster607

Montclaire

If I remember correctly, things changed in 67.  The box coupler changed and pre-67 can be hard to find.  I believe there may also be different couplers for manual and power.  I don't think a 67 column will fit a 66 (thicker tube won't fit dash frame?).  I just got a remanned box from Lares through Rock Auto - very happy with it for the price.  Make sure you have a core to send, cc was $250. 

buckmaster607

That's what I thought after doing more research. Thank you!