News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Charger 500 rotting away...

Started by BrugeeRT, July 18, 2021, 09:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrugeeRT

So my HVAC guy told me he knew of where an old B body Charger had been sitting rotting away since he was a kid.   I was a little skeptical but he gave me the approximate location and I went to check it out.  It was only about 20 minutes away from me in New Freedom, PA.   The road was narrow and I thought it would be off the road away and I might catch a glimpse but holy hell this thing was right  next to the road!  I figured I'd take a few pictures of it and while I was sitting there, a pick up pulled up next me and the guy yells out of his window "He ain't going to sell it!".   I laughed and asked him what the story on the car was.   He said he was the neighbor and the car belonged to his crotchety old man neighbor that lived on the hill and lots of people had asked to buy it.  I thanked him and he went on his way.   Not sure if it had an engine in it but was still cool to see...
Mark

c00nhunterjoe

I know him. He bought it new. It is a complete car. Behind the house is his brothers 69 4 speed roadrunner that has sunk into the ground up to the rockers.

c00nhunterjoe

Its the old man and his daughter in the house. Advise you not to venture up the driveway unless you drive your charger.

darbgnik

Ain't nothing left to sell there? Some trim?
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

BrugeeRT

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 18, 2021, 09:51:16 PM
Its the old man and his daughter in the house. Advise you not to venture up the driveway unless you drive your charger.

I thought of that.  Unfortunately it will be a few years before mine is drivable.    I didn't see the Road Runner but I did see what I think was a Dodge Little Red Express in the driveway.
Mark

hemi-hampton

I wouldn't even want it. Even if you got it for free it would cost a fortune to Restore unless you can do all the work yourself.  :shruggy: :slap:

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: darbgnik on July 18, 2021, 11:08:40 PM
Ain't nothing left to sell there? Some trim?

He isnt selling. Bought it new, his brother bought the roadrunner new but died. Hes keeping both the restore some day. All his garages are packed full. I tried years ago to at least move the cars indoors for him. There really isnt anything left of either car.

lloyd3

Growing up in western Pennsylvania I saw so-much of that. Decent, interesting cars going into the ground because the owner had this fantasy about "fix'en them up someday". If I had to bet, some of the cars I used to wonder about are probably moldering away back there somewhere still.  I remember a yellow Pantera doing just that in an apartment parking garage in 80s on the south side of Oil City, PA. The rims had sunk into the asphalt because it had been there so long. I'm fairly sure that Pantera has been rescued by now, but the rest...who knows?

Mike DC

Worthless, huh?  

So I guess nobody would mind if it got painted orange and launched off a ramp?  Or if Vin Diesel wrecked it in a movie?  Or if some local moron used it for a terrible customizing job?  

These rusty shells get called worthless until somebody does the wrong thing with it.  Then suddenly there's a lot of frustration about the loss of another precious Charger.  

RallyeMike

QuoteAll his garages are packed full. I tried years ago to at least move the cars indoors for him.

... and the garages are surely packed full of invaluables like old clothes, bags of garbage and aluminum cans, broken lawn mowers, and boxes of newspapers.

I've also tried to help people preserve rotters, but you never get anywhere. Done with that.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

RiverRaider

When I find cars like this I offer to buy a tarp and cover it for the owner. Some will not let you touch there car, but most let me do it and tell me it won't be for sale.
I just ask if I can put my name and number inside the car in case they would need some parts when they start working on it again or if they would change your mind about selling.

I recently put a tarp on a 69 Road Runner near New Richmond for the owner who bought it new. 

My first Charger was a Stock Car.

AKcharger

A car like that is just a parts car.  Good by Old Charger!

b5blue

Hey whatareyagonnado? Back in the days before internet I found a WW2 Jeep for sale in the newspaper a good 35 miles away. While roaming around trying to find it I came across a CJ2A with a tree growing out of the center of it. I stopped to ask if he might know of the other Jeep and he came out bitching up a storm about how it was not for sale. After explaining to him my situation he calmed down and helped me find the road needed. I must admit I'm sick of being asked if my Charger is for sale...like I'd be too stupid to put a sign on it.  :scratchchin:

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: RiverRaider on July 21, 2021, 12:16:56 PM
When I find cars like this I offer to buy a tarp and cover it for the owner. Some will not let you touch there car, but most let me do it and tell me it won't be for sale.
I just ask if I can put my name and number inside the car in case they would need some parts when they start working on it again or if they would change your mind about selling.

I recently put a tarp on a 69 Road Runner near New Richmond for the owner who bought it new. 

15 years ago was the 1st time i saw this car. Its way off the beaten path. Stopped in my daily. Did not end well. Basicly gunpoint. Went back a few days later in my charger, got the grand tour and was there for 4 hours. Its a sad case. Too much to cover online. But the cars will never sell and are beyond restoration. They are vin numbers at this point.