News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there any 1969 Dodge Daytona for sale less than $100 000 ?

Started by 70 sublime, April 20, 2021, 07:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Just wondering if there is such a thing as a Daytona around that is for sale and less than $100 000 ???

I do not mean burnt to a crisp and had a building fall on it either
A car that could be restored to it's former glory with out any negative thoughts that it was so bad the only way to fix it would be to roll another body under the VIN
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Aero426

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 20, 2021, 07:52:36 PM
Just wondering if there is such a thing as a Daytona around that is for sale and less than $100 000 ???

I do not mean burnt to a crisp and had a building fall on it either
A car that could be restored to it's former glory with out any negative thoughts that it was so bad the only way to fix it would be to roll another body under the VIN

No.   

1970Moparmann

Simple answer is no.   Not in the market we are in right now.   
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

70 sublime

Second gen Chargers have gone up stupid in price say 30-40%  more than before
Have the Daytonas also gone up as much when they were already pricey to start with ?

Aero426

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 21, 2021, 08:57:59 AM
Second gen Chargers have gone up stupid in price say 30-40%  more than before
Have the Daytonas also gone up as much when they were already pricey to start with ?

Yes.    Everything is high right now.     I just saw a '79 International Scout sell for $73k on Bring a Trailer.   The times and tastes are changing.   But Chargers are evergreen for now and Daytonas are too few and far between.   

If you asked for a Superbird at that 100k range, you'd have a chance.   

odcics2

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 21, 2021, 01:25:29 PM
Quote from: Wingnut426 on April 21, 2021, 09:13:47 AM
YES! Here ya go!     https://www.ebay.com/itm/Danbury-Mint-1969-Dodge-Daytona/265130354974?hash=item3dbb00291e:g:hBQAAOSwRYJgecLa

Ha ha

I already have a wall full of them that size  :yesnod:

Liquidation sale!  Turn them into real Daytona cash!

I know guys with hundreds of thousands tied up in stuff, but can't get enough ca$h together for a real wing car.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

70 sublime

I have a planned job change coming up this fall
After milking cows for 37 plus years I am done with it
When we get out of the dairy I will have a chunk of cash to invest into something
A Daytona has always been on my wish list and this might be the only time I will ever be able to seriously consider one
Just trying to wrap my head around what an entrance level price of a Daytona could be

I have a 69 and a 70 Charger that I would gladly sell to put the money into a Daytona but would rather wait till I managed to get one first
Would just totally hate myself if I sold them both and then find out the dream was out of reach and have no toys left

The question of looking for a Superbird was mentioned

I have a shed full of left over 68 69 70 Charger bits from all the cars I have played with over the years and nothing for a Plymouth
Yes the little things would fit but I have never dreamed of owning a Bird       

426HemiChick

Hi 70 Sublime,                  23 April 2021

Have you considered a nice clone? We sold our Hemi Daytona to a collector we knew would take great care of her and give her a home she deserved. That was our primary goal and it was met in Aces.

We would never have returned her to the highway. With all the bone heads driving around with toys glued to their faces, the risk of having her destroyed would have been too great. At 80 YO, I don't have 40 years remaining. I wouldn't mind having a clone, especially if it were a Hemi.

Our 68 Hemi RR will fill our needs. We had the Hemi Daytona for 48 years; it was time to find her a good home, which she now has.

We've seen some beautiful clones and when you're tooling down the road, who's going to know it's a clone? When we drove the Hemi RR back in 68, we did a bit of street racing. We had 383 emblems in the hood. People would tell us she sure sounds and runs great for a 383. We'd just thank and agree with them.

Once we get our SB back together, she won't be hitting the highway either. Her mileage is low, 002681 on the clock. Every mile added is $$ off the value.

Lots to consider. Do whatever makes you happy; you only live once and you can't take it with you.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

aerolith

Hi Sublime,

I feel for you fella, in many ways!

I've wanted a Wingcar since the 70's, been close to getting one a several occasions.
My last big push to find one was in 1990 and it didn't happen, for many reasons...
I tried very, very hard to get one of the three Galen Daytona cars that year, but ''not to a Limey'' he said... :slap:

30 years has passed and I know it ain't gonna happen now!

But I have something MUCH better, a 4-speed C500...
The practicality of a Wingcar was never feasible (for me) and I glad it didn't happen (be careful what you wish for).

Folks all over the World know what a Wingcar is, but a 'one of 392' C500's (less than ten 440 4-speeds left), they 'AIN'T GOT A CLUE' LOL... :smilielol:

Yep I wanted a Hemi 4-speed C500 and they is out there at realistic prices!
But I can fit a date coded hemi into my numbers matching 440, dana 4-speed car and have 'the next best thing'... :pity: :pity: :pity:

(At half the price) :cheers:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

70 sublime

ksquared

Quote from: aerolith on April 24, 2021, 04:27:34 AM

My last big push to find one was in 1990 and it didn't happen, for many reasons...
I tried very, very hard to get one of the three Galen Daytona cars that year, but ''not to a Limey'' he said... :slap:

30 years has passed and I know it ain't gonna happen now!

Wow, I think I remember those cars.  IIRC one of them was a green, no option radio delete Daytona.  I'd love a radio delete Daytona, I would have loved one back then, but green and I passed.  As I remember too, he was somewhat brusk, wouldn't give you the time of day unless you bought the car, and even then it was questionable.  I always wonder what happened to that one.  Now  of course I'm "green with envy" at whoever managed to get it. :)

70 sublime

Looks like this is about the only one I would be able to buy  :brickwall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asJhOYkZS6A&ab_channel=GraveyardCarz

Is this the car that AMD ended up building ?

Golden-Arm

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 21, 2021, 06:51:47 PM

I have a 69 and a 70 Charger that I would gladly sell to put the money into a Daytona but would rather wait till I managed to get one first
Would just totally hate myself if I sold them both and then find out the dream was out of reach and have no toys left

would you hate yourself more, if one did appear at a price higher than your cash on hand, knowing that the cars you still sat on would have made the difference?  :scratchchin:

70 sublime

Quote from: Golden-Arm on April 24, 2021, 08:46:15 PM
Quote from: 70 sublime on April 21, 2021, 06:51:47 PM

would you hate yourself more, if one did appear at a price higher than your cash on hand, knowing that the cars you still sat on would have made the difference?  :scratchchin:

I know of two different guys that wheel and deal with cars all the time
A couple years ago they thought they were doing good to sell their Chargers for big bucks then pick up another one later
Well later is now and they are still looking and can not find a replacement car for what they had with out spending a lot more cash to get it

That will not be me

When I get out of the dairy I will have more than enough cash on hand to cover the value of my 69 and 70 if the need to sell them to complete a deal on a Daytona
But it is sounding more and more like it will still be out of reach and I should just be happy to build a clone

aerolith

Therein lies the problem!

Build a 100% correct 'CLONE' Daytona and be happy to do it!

It only gets to become a problem 'when you sell', probably worth half a real one if that?

Find a very rough Daytona, even one that had been left in a 'quarry and buried', 'or burnt' then spend a small fortune on it.
Then everyone knows it was a 'basket case' and its a 100% recreation and what's that worth then? (probably 2/3rds)

'OR' sell you soul to the Devil and buy a nice original Daytona and 'pat yourself' on the back and hope you can get your money back one day!!! :eek2:

OTHER OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE, just can't think of any lol... :slap: :smilielol: :'(

Oh yeah, you could always build a Big Willy clone, now that would be COOLIO!!! :2thumbs: :cheers: :drool5:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Big Willie was a BIG guy, but that guy behind him is even bigger...

Loving them 'rear shackles', everything was BIG back then... :slap:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

cudavic

Quote from: aerolith on April 25, 2021, 04:21:34 AM
Therein lies the problem!

Build a 100% correct 'CLONE' Daytona and be happy to do it!

It only gets to become a problem 'when you sell', probably worth half a real one if that?

Find a very rough Daytona, even one that had been left in a 'quarry and buried', 'or burnt' then spend a small fortune on it.
Then everyone knows it was a 'basket case' and its a 100% recreation and what's that worth then? (probably 2/3rds)

'OR' sell you soul to the Devil and buy a nice original Daytona and 'pat yourself' on the back and hope you can get your money back one day!!! :eek2:

OTHER OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE, just can't think of any lol... :slap: :smilielol: :'(

Oh yeah, you could always build a Big Willy clone, now that would be COOLIO!!! :2thumbs: :cheers: :drool5:

Then there lies your solution.

When a finished Daytona clone comes up in the market, buy it.

A good one seams to come up every year or so.

The obvious trick is to have the $75K to $100K required to purchase a very good looking clone on hand.

Save your money and be patient.

gtx6970

Just my personal 2cents.

Save your money and buy a real one.  Me personally Im not a clone type guy. I want the real  thing

NOW, to answer your original question can a presentable Daytona that runs and drives be had for under $100k???? IMO not likely. Bird MAYBE

If you REALLY want one, and what you have can fill / make up the difference $$$ wise ?? Then by all means Sell what you have and buy the car that fills the dream.

I did . just took me a year or so longer than anticipated to be in a position to pull that trigger . And I have ZERO regrets

hemi68charger

Quote from: gtx6970 on April 25, 2021, 05:35:46 PM
Just my personal 2cents.

Save your money and buy a real one.  Me personally Im not a clone type guy. I want the real  thing

NOW, to answer your original question can a presentable Daytona that runs and drives be had for under $100k???? IMO not likely. Bird MAYBE

If you REALLY want one, and what you have can fill / make up the difference $$$ wise ?? Then by all means Sell what you have and buy the car that fills the dream.

I did . just took me a year or so longer than anticipated to be in a position to pull that trigger . And I have ZERO regrets

True words....... I had to give up 2 really nice pedigree Chargers to get my Daytona....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

winged69

In my life I have had 2 Daytonas and 1 Superbird. I bought 1 Daytona twice. Based on todays market for 100k you get a car laying on the ground, a non runner  and needing lots of screen doors. The days of cheap Mopars I think are gone.

426HemiChick

Quote from: winged69 on April 27, 2021, 04:04:42 PM
In my life I have had 2 Daytonas and 1 Superbird. I bought 1 Daytona twice. Based on todays market for 100k you get a car laying on the ground, a non runner  and needing lots of screen doors. The days of cheap Mopars I think are gone.

Hi Winged69,                28 April 2021

I would be willing to bet someone would be willing to drop $100K for legit Daytona fender and dashboard VIN number tag(s).

It took us a long time to make the decision to sell our Hemi Daytona. I had to finally accept the fact that I was almost 50 years older than I was when we first brought her home. I no longer have the same physical abilities I had back then. At some point in time one has to accept reality. We looked for the best person we could find to buy her that would give her the good home she deserves; we accomplished that goal and are grateful that Bob stepped up and Rescued her.

Here's a piece of the story we didn't tell Bob and was only known by a few very close personal friends, it's also the God's gospel truth:

If we couldn't find the right buyer, we planned to destroy her rather than have her fall into the hands of someone whose only concern was making a fast buck. Wasn't going to happen on our watch (Naval Term).

Bob knows this part: Money was not the issue; in 2006 we turned down $1,000,000.00 for the three cars. I was a cop at the time and I didn't like the potential buyer; there was something about him that made my skin crawl. Later I learned he was a convicted felon, a big time swindler.

We're certain there are folks that would disagree with what we had planned to do; we're thankful Bob Rescued her. She belongs to everyone and Bob is mindful of that. He is insuring she will be here for many coming generations to learn about and enjoy.

Lastly, why would we have done such a thing? Quite simply: "Principle." If you don't have principle, you have Nothing.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

AZMoparMike

If you want to build a Daytona, I have a nos windows plug, nos wing washers, an original wing, an original nose cone and headlight buckets. I'll prob never use since I only like superbirds.

held1823

Quote from: AZMoparMike on April 29, 2021, 09:04:56 PM
If you want to build a Daytona, I have a nos windows plug, nos wing washers, an original wing, an original nose cone and headlight buckets. I'll prob never use since I only like superbirds.

message sent with a couple of questions, thanks
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053