News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Battery charger recommendations

Started by MoparMike68, April 17, 2021, 06:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMike68

Anyone have advice on a battery charger for both a car and light truck seems like the ones I like
have horrible reviews.
The reviews consisted of units breaking after a couple uses, failing to charge and in one case catching fire in
someone's trunk.
Seems to be a simple product although it appears there's several lemons on the market.
Any recommendations on a battery charger/maintainer?
Thanks!  :2thumbs:

:popcrn:

c00nhunterjoe

I leave nothing plugged in when im not home. Had too many car friends lose houses over fires from all different brand and component failures but bottom line, something plugged in failed and burnt up.

As to the chargers. For 90% of my charging I use a walmart special schumacher charger. Had it for years and never skips a beat. My model probably isnt made anymore but it was around 50 bucks at the time, is small and easy to store and gets the job done.

Edit- here is the updated version of mine for 60 bucks.

b5blue

They have one for about 50.00 at Walmart or on Amazon that is 15/3 amp 6/12V Standard or AGM and works like a champ. I can't find a model number but it's got a handle on the top with a bin for the cords below.

ODZKing

Do you mean a charger or jump starter.
I have one of the cheap ones from Harbor Freight and just replace it every few years as it is actually more that I paid for it to replace the battery.
As far as storage and battery maintaining like over the winter, I have used the Deltran Battery Tender(s). They work great and don't over charge the battery which I guess is an issue for the AGM batteries these days which I have in both 67 and 73 Charger.
My  :Twocents:

MoparMike68

Thanks for the responses, CJ the Charger that caught fire was being stored in a trunk, according to the
devise instructions it's to be stored at room temperature or 68 degrees which seems odd to me being that
most people store these in the garage and not everyone has climate control.

Thanks B5 it seems you're on the same page as CJ maybe the less expensive one is a good option.

Thanks ODZ I'm looking for a charger/maintainer and you're also recommending inexpensive I was looking at 150+ ones
maybe they got to much going on and break easily sometimes a simple stripped down version is best.  :yesnod:
I think a good comparison would be something we all remember like buying separate components vs the all in one stereo  :lol:

c00nhunterjoe

I dont use a "maintainer". Nothing stays plugged in unless im there with it. No need to leave it plugged in 24/7.

birdsandbees

I'm with Joe ! Way too many people are playing Russian Roulette with their car collections and maintainers that are just waiting to malfunction and boil a battery into a hydrogen bomb...

Our newer AGM's and especially Odysseys can sit for 6 months or more and never lose enough power that you'd notice. Others, charge them on a day you're working in the shop and unplug it before you leave.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

MoparMike68

Very good points B&B with that being said I will no longer have interest in a maintainer
just a charger, Thanks for the input. :2thumbs:

b5blue

My motorcycle (TW200) came with a maintenance charger I'd use now and then. Got to a point the bike would crank but not start so I ordered a battery. While waiting I pulled the battery, cleaned all connections and thought what the heck put the old battery on the real charger. Turns out the old battery came to full charge and has been fine for months now.  :scratchchin:

MoparMike68

Quote from: b5blue on April 19, 2021, 02:39:10 PM
My motorcycle (TW200) came with a maintenance charger I'd use now and then. Got to a point the bike would crank but not start so I ordered a battery. While waiting I pulled the battery, cleaned all connections and thought what the heck put the old battery on the real charger. Turns out the old battery came to full charge and has been fine for months now.  :scratchchin:
Now your new battery will drain because the old battery will last for ever.  :brickwall:

b5blue

MoparMike68

Thanks for the input Derwud that looks to be a nice one at a decent price how long have you had yours?

Derwud

The Optima has been on my car for 2 years now. Same with the cheapies from Amazon, there is something nice about being able to crank up my Car any time I want..
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

Aero426

Quote from: birdsandbees on April 18, 2021, 10:28:13 PM
I'm with Joe ! Way too many people are playing Russian Roulette with their car collections and maintainers that are just waiting to malfunction and boil a battery into a hydrogen bomb...

Our newer AGM's and especially Odysseys can sit for 6 months or more and never lose enough power that you'd notice. Others, charge them on a day you're working in the shop and unplug it before you leave.

Not being critical here, because I understand the hesitation about having things plugged in unattended.     But has anyone ever heard of a battery maintainer causing a fire?     I have a Battery Tender that is 500ma and a Schumacher that is 750ma.  So both are under 1 amp and have circuit protection.    The 51 year old direct wired amp guage on my Bird scares me a lot more than this.     I would also be more concerned with charging of things like cordless impacts and power tools which now have a ton of energy stored inside.    

birdsandbees

Maintainer..
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

Derwud

b5blue

Here is what I've used the last five years or so. good for AGM and standard lead/acid. Once set and battery charged it goes into maintain mode. It's slow but safe.
https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC1359-Automatic-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0789697JT/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=schumacher+battery+charger&link_code=qs&qid=1619054644&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-4
I got mine off the shelf at Walmart for the ease of return if needed.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

Derwud

Quote from: birdsandbees on April 21, 2021, 09:09:54 PM
Quote from: Derwud on April 21, 2021, 02:24:01 PM
Quote from: birdsandbees on April 21, 2021, 01:41:05 PM
Maintainer..

Was that on your car?

Buddy's '16 Challenger on "maintain" for the Winter.

I only use the alligator clips for quick charges.. Always direct mount with the eyelets. Something caused a spark, and looking at the picture, I can see the Culprit... Had the Battery in my Charger blow up into my Chest when I leaned over it to use a screwdriver to start the car at the Starter relay.

MoparMike68

Quote from: b5blue on April 21, 2021, 08:27:48 PM
Here is what I've used the last five years or so. good for AGM and standard lead/acid. Once set and battery charged it goes into maintain mode. It's slow but safe.
https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC1359-Automatic-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0789697JT/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=schumacher+battery+charger&link_code=qs&qid=1619054644&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-4
I got mine off the shelf at Walmart for the ease of return if needed.
That one Seems to do it all and five years still kicking a runner up for sure.  :2thumbs:

odcics2

I have a 45 year old Sears brand charger.  :2thumbs:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

MoparMike68

Quote from: odcics2 on April 24, 2021, 07:59:22 AM
I have a 45 year old Sears brand charger.  :2thumbs:

Sears was the King with some of the greatest merchandise brands that would last forever and your charger is another example of such.
I would buy all my tools there along with many other items throughout the years as did everyone I knew.
I opened my first credit card at Sears to establish credit I think they gave me  :hah:  a couple hundred limit.
That account remains open to this day and thankfully with a much higher limit.  :cheers:
Such an iconic and Massive American department store that sold everything and every home in the country had some if not many
of their products.
The Sears catalog was the most exciting time of year for me flipping though that book to the mini bikes wondering why that fat
guy in the red suit didn't bring me one yet, probably why they named it Wish Book.   :lol:
I still can't believe the collapse of this empire as they were to big to fail, however I'll miss Sears because of the history my family and I had with them.  :rotz:

odcics2

I worked there in high school and after for a few years.
Fun times!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?