News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil Pump Prime

Started by john108, November 27, 2020, 07:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

IS IT A NECESSITY TO DO?

Spin the oil pump while rotating the engine through two revolutions.
My big concern is whether to do it or not. 
The engine was run on a dyno and then buttoned up.
It has been a long time but I was thinking that a lot of oil is still trapped in the various passages. 
With the present virus situation, I won't have any help and it could be a 2 man job.
I realize that I could alternate between driving the oil pump and bumping the engine.
But, even that has its issues.
I would appreciate comments and opinions.
Thank You,
John

metallicareload99

Big block?  I would definitely prime the engine if you have the tool/hex drive to do it.  Even if you just prime the pump you'll have oil in the filter, galleys and bearings.  You would need to turn the engine over if you want to verify oil getting to the rockers.  That can be done by hand or bumping the starter.  A remote starter switch would be handy, or a screw driver will work too (make sure it is in neutral!).  All that being said, it seems like a lot of people don't or didn't worry about this in the past
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

John_Kunkel

If it's already been run, I would definitely prime it but not necessarily turn the crank...just enough to prime the pump and filter which might have drained back from sitting. I'd do it within minutes of firing the engine.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

john108

Thank You both
The answers were about what I expected but not exactly what I hoped for.
I have the pump rod.
I was hoping to learn that if I primed the pump, it would last for months.  Minutes is a mountain for me to climb.  I doubt that I can put it back together in minutes. 
I guess I will have to wait until I have everything else done and ready to start the engine.  I am still dealing on where and how to install the MSD and double check many other things.