News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

IS it Timing, Carb or transmission

Started by 69 Green RT/SE, November 27, 2020, 04:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 Green RT/SE

When letting of the gas the RPMs remain high, I need to goose the gas pedal to get the RPMs back down. Is it my carb or transmission or maybe timing? Any help is appreciated.

r/
Jim

XH29N0G

I think it is most likely something with the carburetor linkage.  I assume you have an automatic and it doesn't make sense for that to get stuck to me - though I know next to nothing about them.  I do not see a way that timing would do it.

return spring?  bind in the cable?  I would figure it out because it would be bad if it did not return with a goose.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Kern Dog

If you want help, you need to make it easier for people to do so.
More information is needed. Read the following and you'll see what I mean.
If you go to a doctor and simply say. I don't feel good, does the Doctor just accept that and give you a pill?
No.
The Doctor will ask you what where, for how long, check blood pressure, ask more questions, etc...
You didn't tell us anything about your combination, the condition of the car, any changes you made recently or anything like that.
Maybe your car is a 1969 Charger R/T? 440 or Hemi?
People do want to help but you have to make it easier for them to do so.

69 Green RT/SE

I definitely should have mentioned that it is a 69 Charger RT with a 440, 4 speed. I have always had an issue getting the carb Holley 750 just right, but lately I need to goose the pedal to get the RPMs down.

70 sublime

I have to do the same thing with my car 383 auto

When I let off the gas it is like it is stuck on fast idle

Took air cleaner off and had a look
Turns out it is my cable from the gas pedal to carb is dragging

I put a heavier spring on the carb to pull it off and works fine 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

69 Green RT/SE

Dodgecharger74

sticking accelerator cable?  I was testing a new 440 in a pick up on the 1-2 shift at 4500 RPM ripped both motor mounts and left carb wide open ate the radiator also  I just shut it off. went back to garage to reoair
Might want to check those mounts
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

John_Kunkel

Quote from: XH29N0G on November 27, 2020, 05:53:01 PM
I think it is most likely something with the carburetor linkage. 

:iagree: No need to overthink it, trans wouldn't cause that but stuck advance weights in the distributor could.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

Try lubing the floor pivot, peddle hinge and throttle cable. Have you both proper return springs?  :scratchchin:

Kern Dog

A couple of years back, I had a problem with the carburetor sticking at WOT !   :eek2:
I could tap it a few times to get it to UNstick but I knew it should be fixed. Lucky I had an automatic because a shift to neutral could have scattered the engine.
I changed the throttle cable since it felt a bit sticky but it made no difference. The pedal moved freely. The throttle return springs were adequate. By chance one day, I was messing with the alternator when I looked at the right side of the carburetor. The linkage for the electric choke looked strange. I had removed the choke awhile back but left some linkage attached. It seems that when the carburetor went to WOT, a lever swung rearward and got in the way of the throttle closing.

69 Green RT/SE

Guess I will start with the cheapest things first, lube all the linkages and work my way up. As for the return spring it is an aftermarket double spring. I thought that would be enough tension.

70 sublime

Quote from: 69 Green RT/SE on November 30, 2020, 11:47:36 AM
Guess I will start with the cheapest things first, lube all the linkages and work my way up. As for the return spring it is an aftermarket double spring. I thought that would be enough tension.

Next time you have the car running and let your foot off the gas pedal and the motor is still running fast just turn the key off and touch nothing else

Then go take air cleaner off and have a look at all the linkages to try and figure out what part is holding what part open
Maybe there is something just bent a little and drags going past another part and with out the momentum of letting off the gas pedal quickly it gets caught 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

DanielRobert

It's the choke adjustment....tweak it to open a little more
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

chargermick

My buddy had the same problem. Ended up being a broken motor mount. The engine would rotate and pull the throttle open.