News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Connecting a 2 wire Distributor

Started by john108, November 05, 2020, 11:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

Connecting a 2 wire Distributor

1968 Charger R/T
My original points type distributor had a single wire that was connected to the (NEGATIVE) terminal of the Coil.
My new Electronic Distributor has a 2 wire male/female connector.
The male pin has a (RED) wire and the female side has a (BLACK) wire.

1)    How should I hook up these wires?

2)    Also, do we still need to hook up a capacitor in the circuit.  What is its rating and where does it attach?

John_Kunkel

The Mopar electronic distributor is part of a system, it can't be run by itself.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

john108

John
The distributor was bought at Summit with P/N P3690432.  They don't show it on their site any more.
It has a magnetic pick-up and an 8 fin reluctor.
I believe that when run on the Dyno, they had an MSD 6AL box in the system.
I happen to have bought an MSD 6AL some years back but thought I could start the engine without it so that there would be less components in the system and less to worry about.

ON Amazon: Mopar P3690432 Vacuum Advance Distributor
Brand: Mopar
  Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Distributor, Vacuum Advance, Electronic, 426 HEMI/426 Wedge/413/440 Big Block
Ignition And Electronics; Genuine Mopar Performance P3690432 Vacuum Advanced Electronic Distributor

c00nhunterjoe

As john stated, you must run an ignition box. The msd will work fine with that distributor.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

john108

Thank You John
Now I have to figure out where to mount the MSD-6AL.
The windshield washer water tank is in the way.
The horns don't help either.

timmycharger

Here is where I mounted mine and have had no issues so far  :Twocents:

c00nhunterjoe

I put my my 6 box in the glove box back in the day.

john108

Nacho: I already own the MSD box.

Joe: I think I once saw a post with the box in the glove box.  It may have been yours.

Tim: I think I saw your picture before.  My horns are mounted partially in the way there.  I was also concerned about water leakage from the pump.  I was trying to find out how far I can move the washer tank towards the hood hinge to get the MSD farther from the water pump if I went with your concept.  I don't have the hood on the car and the hinges are much stronger than I am so I can't measure. I am not sure of the hinge pivot arc.

john108

tommycharger
I located my MSD Box about where your picture shows it but I put mine vertical.
Thank You

Paul G

FYI. If you use an engine analyzer to set the carb and idle speed, it will not work by connecting it to the coil and ground when using an MSD box.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

john108

Thank You Paul for the information.
Presently, I don't know enough to worry about that.
Maybe some day.
I am just hoping to get the engine started.
John