News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OLD 1965 CASTING DATE 440,DAMAGED BLOCK TEST MULE

Started by westcoastdodge, June 18, 2020, 12:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoastdodge

hey guys hows it goin,got an early(very early) chrysler 440 that actually thrown a rod on number 7 the rod itself was well bent up/broken and as the crank come round windowed the block.with some rudimentary brazing skills managed to repair the engine block maybe.also crank was hurt as you can see however dont think it has twisted.what i intend to do is assemble the engine with as many original components(big time budget)just to put on my engine test stand and maybe run it when i have a few mates round for beers etc,not going into a car but not going to scrap it.any body else done this??,thoughts :scratchchin: :cheers:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

westcoastdodge

Gene Kranz

John_Kunkel

I've always considered the skirt of a big block between the mains to be a less stressed area. I wouldn't think twice about using that block for a stock rebuild.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

My block was damaged in a similar location and has been welded. I am running low 10s with it. Mine is filled though.

westcoastdodge

:2thumbs:
Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 18, 2020, 01:38:33 PM
I've always considered the skirt of a big block between the mains to be a less stressed area. I wouldn't think twice about using that block for a stock rebuild.
Gene Kranz

westcoastdodge

:2thumbs:
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 19, 2020, 09:39:37 AM
My block was damaged in a similar location and has been welded. I am running low 10s with it. Mine is filled though.
if it runs ok might put it in the charger :2thumbs:
Gene Kranz

westcoastdodge

well here we are,motor sounds great thrown a rod in the 80s i believe,severe water damage from being sat around  for so long.brazed up block,really hogged out the heads(practice for porting and busted through to the water jacket couple of times but brazed/repaired where needed)it does hold water and oil now would love to put her in something,glad i did not scrap the parts,thoughts?? :cheers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebaxzogbp3g
Gene Kranz

Kern Dog

Score!
It sounds strange when you rapidly crack the throttle, as if it lags but doesn't bog and stall.
I love scrounging and piecing stuff together. Good for you, man!   :2thumbs:

westcoastdodge

sounds like it bogs a little but no its right on the money sounds strong... :2thumbs:
Gene Kranz

Dano 1

That's awesome, I'm with Kern Dog I love scrounging parts and getting stuff together on the cheap.

What did you do with the bores? Hone and new rings or just the same pistons right back in the holes? Looked like a pretty decent ring ridge and some scoring, I'm amazed it runs so clean/strong but good on you!
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

westcoastdodge

hey Dano,nope everything original even the mains, renewed the rod bearings tho,ring ridge looks bad in the pic but can hardly feel it checked ring end gap and was still within tolerance so all good. :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
Gene Kranz

ACUDANUT

There are not too many 65 440's around. Never heard of one actually. Gotta be rare.  :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

I wouod be careful calling it all origonal. You posted photos of 346 casting heads and i am pretty sure early 440s did not have 4 valve reliefs. She is far from origonal. Neat to see it run though.

Challenger340

True story....
we cut the entire back end Bellhousing area off a junk cast iron 440 Block as a "donor" piece  to Weld/Nirod back onto a damaged 'numbers' HEMI Block.... that had been used in a Nitro Car and had exploded blowing the back end off the HEMI Block..... .and right through #5 Main/Rear Main Seal area !

I mean there was the "Numbers Matching" HEMI Block for the HEMI car ready to be re-united..... sitting there with NO back end on the HEMI Block to bolt a Trans up.... and amazingly the Cylinder cases were both intact/held water ?
So what could we do ?
time... time... time....
start cutting the back end of the 440 as a donor to weld on the HEMI.

Had it ON and OFF the Dyno/Dis-assembled/Re-Assembled THREE TIMES to finally get the Rear Main to finally Seal up...... made 506 hp as a 'stock' rebuild....  with instructions to 'take it easy' !!!!!!!!!!!!!

just say'in....
I look at THAT block the OP put up and I ain't worried at all !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Kern Dog

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Challenger340 on August 18, 2020, 03:54:02 PM
True story....
we cut the entire back end Bellhousing area off a junk cast iron 440 Block as a "donor" piece  to Weld/Nirod back onto a damaged 'numbers' HEMI Block.... that had been used in a Nitro Car and had exploded blowing the back end off the HEMI Block..... .and right through #5 Main/Rear Main Seal area !

I mean there was the "Numbers Matching" HEMI Block for the HEMI car ready to be re-united..... sitting there with NO back end on the HEMI Block to bolt a Trans up.... and amazingly the Cylinder cases were both intact/held water ?
So what could we do ?
time... time... time....
start cutting the back end of the 440 as a donor to weld on the HEMI.

Had it ON and OFF the Dyno/Dis-assembled/Re-Assembled THREE TIMES to finally get the Rear Main to finally Seal up...... made 506 hp as a 'stock' rebuild....  with instructions to 'take it easy' !!!!!!!!!!!!!

just say'in....
I look at THAT block the OP put up and I ain't worried at all !

That trumps mine.... and mine has a cool history too. Lol. My 440 is an original ramchargers 1960s race engine block. It is heavily modified inside. Lots of metal removed. It cracked at some point and got tossed in the corner. It worked its way to me through the race car chain. I am running solid 10s on a 4000 pound car with it and not had a problem.

GreenMachine

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

GreenMachine

Intake was made a few days after Christmas.

westcoastdodge

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 20, 2020, 08:01:30 PM
Intake was made a few days after Christmas.
now that is cool,not sure if there will be too many knocking about with such an early date,love this vintage stuff :drool5: :cheers: :2thumbs:
Gene Kranz

westcoastdodge

Gene Kranz

GreenMachine

westcoastdodge

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 17, 2020, 06:27:50 PM
I wouod be careful calling it all origonal. You posted photos of 346 casting heads and i am pretty sure early 440s did not have 4 valve reliefs. She is far from origonal. Neat to see it run though.
understood fella,agreed some parts not original think the pistons would be old speed pros(must be from the 80s just a guess)and the heads from a later big block still fun tho but still stock bore,main and rod bearing size :2thumbs: :cheers:
Gene Kranz

westcoastdodge

stuck a 402 oil pan on,hooker long tubes,new starter and differant valve covers and a paint job,thoughts?? :coolgleamA: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Aw4g84YWA&ab_channel=RayCairns
Gene Kranz

Nacho-RT74

heads for that block should be closed chambers... those 346 are 71/73 open chambers. Good to get it running with anything available thought :thumbs:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ACUDANUT

Quote from: westcoastdodge on November 29, 2020, 01:34:22 PM
stuck a 402 oil pan on,hooker long tubes,new starter and differant valve covers and a paint job,thoughts?? :coolgleamA: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Aw4g84YWA&ab_channel=RayCairns

Couple of concerns. Gas can is right next to battery and ventilation concerns. Engine Sounds Great.