News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb suggestions

Started by Charger43, November 19, 2020, 12:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger43

Looking for Carb suggestions
69 440 Charger Rebuilt stock specs.
Will be weekend cruiser not raced.
AVS rebuild,Holley 750 or
Edelbrock's AVS  version??????

chargerbr549

Edelbrock thunder series 800 AVS carb works very well.

Calif240

I have a Holley 750 double pumper, mechanical.

You can calculate your CFM need based on what RPM you believe you'll max out at. Chances are, you don't need anything above 700/750.

What RPM do you believe you'll max out at, realistically? If you think you're going to 6,500 once during a single timed run at the local race-track, then I may not base my entire build on a one-time run.

Thanks,
Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

XH29N0G

My guess is that it is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other (Edelbrock and AVS style vs Holley). 

I was quiet when you first posted because I have seen many times that the edelbrock and AVS carbs work well.  I have only used the Holley family carburetors (what my car came with) and these work as well.  I have a few thoughts to mull over as you move forward.

Every aftermarket carburetor I have used has benefited from some tuning.  I am sure people here will help if you want thoughts on how to optimize after you buy one.  I am using a mechanical secondary right now, but I started with vacuum secondaries which are easy to set up and got me 99% of the way there.  I am using a different size than 750, but I read that 750 CFM is an excellent size to start with for a 440. It will be responsive and carry it up the RPM range.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....