News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 wont go to drive after speedo gear change

Started by taxspeaker, October 31, 2020, 10:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

I had the rear end rebuilt and put back the original 3:55 gears. Had to then change to the correct # of teeth on the speedo gear in the tranny. I indexed it and checked fluids after starting and running warmed up in neutral. All fluid levels fine and in test drive speedo is right on the money. However I get a real hard shift 1st to 2nd and then no shift from 2nd to drive. Did I mess up some sprocket or indexing? Any ideas.
Thanks-this is on the Alaska Highway Superbird. 440 stock, 4 barrel, original transmission with only about 10,000 miles on it and no prior issues.

Bob

GreenMachine

I don't know much about transmissions, but it sounds like a throttle pressure issue. Kickdown linkage and governor control it, and the governor is back where the speedo gear is.

Something I was taught about troubleshooting a long time ago was: If it worked fine before, then maintenance was done, and something crapped out, go back and look at the maintenance done.

If it is a stuck governor, I've read that a quick shift to park and back while moving in gear can free it up.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

XH29N0G

I'm not an auto transmission guy and do not know.  So I will ask.  Won't shifting into park while moving cause somethings to break?  I thought park was not for moving. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

GreenMachine

I recommend doing you own research, I'm just parroting what I've read.
As far as damage, the spring loaded parking pawl will try to lock, but won't be able to, and it'll make noise in the process.
This is just momentary into park and right back into drive
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

taxspeaker

Thanks guys-tried that one but did not help. Will just run it to transmission shop
Bob

gtx6970

Sounds like throttle pressure rod / linkage is stuck in rearward position

cdr

Quote from: gtx6970 on November 01, 2020, 01:39:00 PM

This and or the return spring fell off
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

taxspeaker

Quote from: cdr on November 01, 2020, 10:15:03 PM

This and or the return spring fell off

And that right there is why I love this board-fixed, thanks guys. I forgot to hook the springs up.
Free beer for everyone
Bob J

c00nhunterjoe

4cruzin

Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .