News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Pump Oil Leak?

Started by HeavyFuel, November 03, 2020, 04:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Can a fuel pump leak oil, or do I have to keep looking for the source of a class 3 leak making a mess of my K member and garage floor?

A383Wing

yes, they can push oil out that little hole on the side....meaning you probably need a new pump

Kern Dog

The bolts that secure the fuel pump need a sealant. They thread into the pressurized crankcase. Same goes for intake manifold bolts.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 04, 2020, 12:41:09 PM

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=84326.0

Further evaluation of situation.  

A few weeks ago: I added about 3/4 of quart of oil a while back, thought it looked a bit low.   Maybe I overfilled and some spirited driving splashed oil into the fuel pump housing and out the pivot pin hole?  Trying to remember if the leaking started before or after the oil topoff?   :scratchchin:

Two days ago, drove car hard (by my standards - really not too hard  :lol:) ....much leaking:  Cleaned the pump area and changed the oil and filter.  5 quarts.  (now there should be no question to proper amount of oil in pan)  Checked my crankcase vent system....all components pass checks and appear to be in perfect working order.

Yesterday: I cleaned the pump and surrounding area very well.  Started the car, let it run.  No leak.  Took it around the block.  No leak.

I'm gonna try what Chryco suggested and put a dab of RTV over the pivot pin hole.  After examining the area, that's the only logical place that volume of oil could be coming from.

If the area stays dry after a decent drive, I'll chock it up to a failed oil seal in the pump or overfilling the oil, or maybe a combination of both.  At any rate, I suppose a new fuel pump is in my future.

bee1971

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 04, 2020, 03:39:41 AM
The bolts that secure the fuel pump need a sealant. They thread into the pressurized crankcase. Same goes for intake manifold bolts.

Yep per  :cheers:

One bolt on my 71 Bee was dripping and all wet , other bolt was completely dry

First time I ever had a fuel pump bolt drip oil , 383/432 Stroker

HeavyFuel

Quote from: bee1971 on November 06, 2020, 12:34:23 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on November 04, 2020, 03:39:41 AM

Yep per  :cheers:

One bolt on my 71 Bee was dripping and all wet , other bolt was completely dry

First time I ever had a fuel pump bolt drip oil , 383/432 Stroker

I understand this concept, but am doubtful it applies in my case.

Oil pushing past the threads would produce a mess directly underneath the bolts, no?  I have oil gathering in the crimped area on the pump, where it would be physical very hard for oil to reach from a leaky bolt.  I also have oil running down the fuel supply and return lines.  

Unless there is so much turbulence in that area under the hood at higher speeds to cause the oil to spatter everywhere?  Doesn't seem likely.  The drips and puddles look nicely formed.  It's not like the whole area is blasted with an oil covering.

(I know, I know.....just replace the friggin' pump and seal up the bolt threads, call it good.)           you guys ->   :slap:  <- me

375instroke

How about cleaning everything in that area first?  Try a hose connected to the water heater.  Before starting the engine, make sure everything's dry, run the engine for a minute, and shut it off.  Then look and feel around.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 375instroke on November 08, 2020, 03:07:34 PM
How about cleaning everything in that area first?  Try a hose connected to the water heater.  Before starting the engine, make sure everything's dry, run the engine for a minute, and shut it off.  Then look and feel around.

Gee....why didn't I think of that?    :scratchchin:

Quote from: HeavyFuel on November 05, 2020, 10:26:22 AM

Further evaluation of situation.  

A few weeks ago: I added about 3/4 of quart of oil a while back, thought it looked a bit low.   Maybe I overfilled and some spirited driving splashed oil into the fuel pump housing and out the pivot pin hole?  Trying to remember if the leaking started before or after the oil topoff?   :scratchchin:

Two days ago, drove car hard (by my standards - really not too hard  :lol:) ....much leaking:  Cleaned the pump area and changed the oil and filter.  5 quarts.  (now there should be no question to proper amount of oil in pan)  Checked my crankcase vent system....all components pass checks and appear to be in perfect working order.

Yesterday: I cleaned the pump and surrounding area very well.  Started the car, let it run.  No leak.  Took it around the block.  No leak.

I'm gonna try what Chryco suggested and put a dab of RTV over the pivot pin hole.  After examining the area, that's the only logical place that volume of oil could be coming from.

If the area stays dry after a decent drive, I'll chock it up to a failed oil seal in the pump or overfilling the oil, or maybe a combination of both.  At any rate, I suppose a new fuel pump is in my future.

:lol:

375instroke

:lol: My bad.  I work with people who won't do this.  They just jump in and start replacing everything that's wet.