News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fiberglass

Started by chargd72, November 03, 2020, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

Anyone know of a good source to get fiberglass front fenders for a 71-74?  The only place that I can find is Showcars Bodys Unlimited and I've read some pretty bad reviews.  Most of the reviews are older so maybe they got it more together now...??  Anyone order from them lately?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

AKcharger

I've never heard ANYONE will a street car be happy with fiberglass fenders... :Twocents:

chargd72

Almost every Corvette and high performance production car has fiberglass fenders these days.  Good quality fiberglass would not be able to be differentiated from metal.  That's why I'm asking for quality options.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

AKcharger

Oh I agree, and corvette is a good example, but in the muscle car aftermarket world I've never heard of any...good luck though!  :2thumbs:

70 sublime

I had a 73 Road Runner with fiberglass fenders on the front
They were on the car when I got it
Do not know who made them
Fit very well around the front edges

Only thing that bugged me about them
The top back edge that curves between corner of the hood around to the top edge of the door
Both fenders on both corners drooped down and did not line up very well

Car was just a driver back then so did not care too much
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

cdr

VFN has a complete front end
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

chargd72

I ordered a bolt on bulge hood through VFN.  They seem legit.  The pro front end looks nice but it would take a lot of fabbing to get headlights and front marker lights in.  They currently don't do fenders only on 3rd gens.

Mike DC

IMO the problem with fiberglass fenders (at least for our cars) is that the fender isn't just a skin.  It has underlying structure for the headlights & bumper & stuff.  If the factory had offered fiberglass fenders they might have kept some of that internal structure in metal.  

DAY CLONA

Quote from: chargd72 on November 03, 2020, 10:34:10 AM
Anyone know of a good source to get fiberglass front fenders for a 71-74?  The only place that I can find is Showcars Bodys Unlimited and I've read some pretty bad reviews.  Most of the reviews are older so maybe they got it more together now...??  Anyone order from them lately?

Don't waste your time/money with Showcars, you'll get either junk glass parts, or nothing but a run around and be out money, Unlimited Fiberglass in California has 3rd gen fenders with all the flanges to mount, under skin headlite buckets are available in glass, you'll need to glass those in after initial mounting of the fender, or if you have existing fenders, you could cut the steel inner buckets out and glass those to the fenders after initial mounting of front fenders... I used Unlimited's 70 Cuda fenders and reused my steel light bucket assemblies glassed into the glass fenders to support all my headlight assemblys/hardware....

As you noted you read some bad past reviews about Unlimited, but that was under old owners/management, Unlimited was reorganized under Kevin a few years ago to vastly improve the products and service, I've purchased several hoods and assorted body panels from them with ZERO issues

Mike

chargd72

Quote from: DAY CLONA on November 05, 2020, 09:29:49 AM
Quote from: chargd72 on November 03, 2020, 10:34:10 AM
Anyone know of a good source to get fiberglass front fenders for a 71-74?  The only place that I can find is Showcars Bodys Unlimited and I've read some pretty bad reviews.  Most of the reviews are older so maybe they got it more together now...??  Anyone order from them lately?

Don't waste your time/money with Showcars, you'll get either junk glass parts, or nothing but a run around and be out money, Unlimited Fiberglass in California has 3rd gen fenders with all the flanges to mount, under skin headlite buckets are available in glass, you'll need to glass those in after initial mounting of the fender, or if you have existing fenders, you could cut the steel inner buckets out and glass those to the fenders after initial mounting of front fenders... I used Unlimited's 70 Cuda fenders and reused my steel light bucket assemblies glassed into the glass fenders to support all my headlight assemblys/hardware....

As you noted you read some bad past reviews about Unlimited, but that was under old owners/management, Unlimited was reorganized under Kevin a few years ago to vastly improve the products and service, I've purchased several hoods and assorted body panels from them with ZERO issues

Mike

This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!  The option for headlight buckets that can be glassed in is perfect.