News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A833 noise

Started by John Milner, November 02, 2020, 09:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Milner

The 4 speed in my charger has a strange noise when I let off of the gas or downshift. It sounds kind of like a rough bearing. It sounds great when I'm driving normally and shifting up. Would a main shaft or input shaft bearing cause a noise when downshifting or decelerating? I did not rebuild the transmission. It had not been in a car for about 40 years. I only changed the oil before I installed it in my car.

c00nhunterjoe

Are you sure the noise is coming from the trans? And regarding the oil, make sure you are usuing a legitimate gl4 only oil. If it is gl5 rated, it is not meant for that trans.

John Milner

It sure seems to be where the noise is coming from.  As far as gear oil, I'm running a GL4 rated 80w90 gear oil.  The transmission shifts great with it.  It's just strange that it is so quiet accelerating but when I let off of the gas or downshift, it make the noise. 

c00nhunterjoe

Is it in every gear? If not, which gears.

John Milner

It is in every gear when I decelerate or let off of the gas in gear.

70 sublime

My car is an automatic
I was getting a noise when I let off the gas
Ended up changing the universals in both ends of the drive shaft
Noise went away
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

73rallye440magnum

As 70 sublime mentioned-

First thing that came to mind after reading your description is driveshaft u-joint(s).

If you find they are bad, I'll trade ya cars  :coolgleamA:
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

A383Wing

I had a similar noise decades ago...turned out to be the rear gears...completely quiet while accelerating....very noisy under decelerating