News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whats the Stock carb cfm???69 Charger R/T 440

Started by Charger43, September 14, 2020, 11:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger43

What's the Stock carb.CFM??
69 440 Charger R/T?

What's are you guys running on a stock
Rebuild 440 10:1????

Kern Dog

Rick Ehrenberg said that it was 580 cfm. Carter was really secretive about their flow rates.  :2thumbs:

green69rt

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 15, 2020, 12:01:04 AM
Rick Ehrenberg said that it was 580 cfm. Carter was really secretive about their flow rates.  :2thumbs:

That's what I remember.  Carter, Holley, probably others all measured their flow rates different (IIRC) so the number didn't mean much unless you were comparing Carter to Carter, etc.

Challenger340

I think some of the 'published' cfm numbers for the Carter #4618 4 BBL AVS used on the 1969 440 Magnum Engines was around 800 cfm ?

I just happen to have a SuperFlow SF750 Flow Bench in my shop ?
and....
I will be rebuilding my untouched/un-rebuilt numbers matching original 440 Magnum in my '69 Charger R/T SE this winter..... so I'll get some REAL cfm numbers at that time, because I'm curious as well ?
I'm still kinda shocked at how great that Carb is ?
It Starts/Chokes/High Idles, then runs and drives amazingly well for being 50+ years old..... never skips a beat.... NEVER had a problem with it.... I'm almost scared to even touch the thing for fear of screwing something up !

We typically Flow at 1.5 hg for all Carbs so the numbers are comparable across all brands ie: Holley/Carter/Thermo-Bogs/whatever.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

green69rt

Quote from: Challenger340 on September 15, 2020, 11:43:50 AM
I think some of the 'published' cfm numbers for the Carter #4618 4 BBL AVS used on the 1969 440 Magnum Engines was around 800 cfm ?

I just happen to have a SuperFlow SF750 Flow Bench in my shop ?
and....
I will be rebuilding my untouched/un-rebuilt numbers matching original 440 Magnum in my '69 Charger R/T SE this winter..... so I'll get some REAL cfm numbers at that time

We typically Flow at 1.5 hg for all Carbs so the numbers are comparable across all brands ie: Holley/Carter/Thermo-Bogs/whatever.

I'd be interested in the data.

Challenger340

Quote from: Charger43 on September 14, 2020, 11:02:43 PM

What's the Stock carb.CFM??
69 440 Charger R/T?

A little off topic here..... but how do you know it is a 10:! "rebuilt" 440 ?   

Because the 'published' rebuilder style cast Piston Compression Ratios are all wrong, meaning......  unless you opted for Forged Pistons or a KB Hyper Pistons your actual CR may be much lower than you think ?

Mike DC

QuoteI will be rebuilding my untouched/un-rebuilt numbers matching original 440 Magnum in my '69 Charger R/T SE this winter..... so I'll get some REAL cfm numbers at that time

That black & tan '69? 

It needs rebuilding? 

Challenger340

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 15, 2020, 12:32:34 PM
QuoteI will be rebuilding my untouched/un-rebuilt numbers matching original 440 Magnum in my '69 Charger R/T SE this winter..... so I'll get some REAL cfm numbers at that time

That black & tan '69?  

It needs rebuilding?  

Nope, it doesn't NEED it per se.... it is still a good strong running 440 that has shocked the shit 'outa many people ?

Problem is I am getting older....
and I dunno how many more years I will keep a complete full service Machine Shop capability here on my property ? let be when a guy gets into his later 60's how much longer he will be healthy and able to do that stuff ?

So I'm gonna do it now while I'm still well able to.... and while it's still a good running Engine.

Might make kind of a neat thread to follow along here with Pics as I do it ?
After all....
I'm guessing NOT that many "original" un-touched 1969 440 Magnums still running around.... might be a definitive source of what EXACTLY was there/inside back in the day ? Cam degree/Cylinder Pressure/Crab Flows etc., etc.

Chargerguy74

Quote from: Challenger340 on September 15, 2020, 05:21:35 PM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 15, 2020, 12:32:34 PM

That black & tan '69?  

It needs rebuilding?  

Nope, it doesn't NEED it per se.... it is still a good strong running 440 that has shocked the shit 'outa many people ?

Problem is I am getting older....
and I dunno how many more years I will keep a complete full service Machine Shop capability here on my property ? let be when a guy gets into his later 60's how much longer he will be healthy and able to do that stuff ?

So I'm gonna do it now while I'm still well able to.... and while it's still a good running Engine.

Might make kind of a neat thread to follow along here with Pics as I do it ?
After all....
I'm guessing NOT that many "original" un-touched 1969 440 Magnums still running around.... might be a definitive source of what EXACTLY was there/inside back in the day ? Cam degree/Cylinder Pressure/Crab Flows etc., etc.

Looking forward to that thread.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

BSB67

Quote from: Challenger340 on September 15, 2020, 12:03:43 PM
Quote from: Charger43 on September 14, 2020, 11:02:43 PM

..... but how do you know it is a 10:! "rebuilt" 440 ?   

Exactly.

When a guy presents it this way, I always ask myself the same question.  Why?  Because it is usually wrong.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

lloyd3