News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Have any worked on getting fresh air for your 2nd gen? Has it made a diference?

Started by XH29N0G, September 13, 2020, 04:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I am up to no good and realize I am not likely to have money to do the things I want to do to the car next year (I was informed last week that I (and others) will likely receive a 10% salary reduction as a first phase of cuts).

I was going to do cam and heads and brakes.  That will have to wait until I know my situation.  But now I am playing around with other things.

I have an open element and started wondering whether trying to bring fresh air would help.  Earlier today, I put a thermocouple on my air cleaner and saw it was about 25 F higher than ambient when I am driving (hotter when idling).  This isn't a lot, but I wonder if it might make a difference.  (The difference translates to about 14 kelvins and that is about a 4% difference in air density assuming PV=nRT).  So I started wondering about ways to either plumb, or guide cool air to my air cleaner. 

My next test will be to put little deflectors on the sides of the engine bay (by the shelf where the fender tag is attached and opposite) but I started to wonder if others had done things (and documented whether there was any difference at all).  I think I can see 4% change with my present logging system, so I should be able to tell. 

SO MY QUESTION IS:  HAVE ANY OF YOU PLUMBED COLD AIR, AND HOW DID YOU DO IT?  DID ANY DO IT VIA THE LITTLE GAPS ON THE LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE OF THE RADIATOR SUPPORT?  OR DID MOST USE OTHER STRATEGIES?

Have any of you used anything like these things:  https://www.ramairbox.com/
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

70 sublime

Get some base line data then try taking the hood off
I would think you would have some fresh air then and could see if there was any difference and worth the trouble of plumbing in some air pipes ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us. 

cdr

Quote from: XH29N0G on September 13, 2020, 06:11:48 PM
:lol:

But I like the hood.

Yes the cooler air will make it run better. but whatever you do make sure it does not restrict the air volume to the carb, [ sealed up type duct work ]
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

Having the hood off skews the numbers because the reduction on weight should result in an improvement.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

70 sublime

Quote from: XH29N0G on September 13, 2020, 06:11:48 PM
:lol:

But I like the hood.

I mean just take the hood off to get lots of cooler air into your carb without messing with a bunch of pipes just to see if your motor runs stronger  :icon_smile_big:

70 sublime

Another thought

Do you have the fresh air vent on the driver side that you can open up to blow all the dirt off the floor into your eyes ?
Have you ever noticed how much air blows in when you have the vent open and just start the car moving ?

I was very surprised how much air was being forced into my car when even just going 10 mph
If you look at some of the old race car pictures of these cars some of them cut a hole in the fire wall just below the hood and pull the air into the motor ( or push air in )

Would you consider cutting a hole into your fire wall high enough up to be into this space to get your fresh air ??

You would have to do it off to the passenger side to miss all the windshield wiper stuff

Found a picture so you could get an idea but you would have to pull the air from just the one side so the windshield wiper stuff could stay put

darbgnik

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 13, 2020, 09:16:48 PM
Another thought

Do you have the fresh air vent on the driver side that you can open up to blow all the dirt off the floor into your eyes ?
Have you ever noticed how much air blows in when you have the vent open and just start the car moving ?

I was very surprised how much air was being forced into my car when even just going 10 mph

I was also surprised by how much air gets pushed into that vent, now that you've mentioned it.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Mike DC

XH29N0G

Thank you everyone. 

I just wanted to know if there had something done by someone here and if a clear comparison had been made. 

I am aware of the cowl induction strategies on the older race cars.  One like that in the picture would require a bit of fabrication to make it to that part of the cowl.  I think in my car I would have to pass through the interior to get to the well that is fed by the cowl.  I saw that the cowl can be reached on the outside from a post somewhere else.

:cheers:

Or maybe it protects us. 

RiverRaider

Many years ago in the parking lot at the Schwabenhof swap meet there was a red 70 Charger with a 383 that had a Ramcharger setup.  The hood was reskinned with sheet steel.  No depressions or center rib, the scoops and under hood metal was off a 69 Bee, the ductwork was 70 (orange) using a 440 air cleaner. The guy told me his dad did the metal work but he did the turn signals.  The 70 bezels were operational and blended into the rear of the scoops.  The hood and the top of the fenders were blacked out like a 69 Road Runner.  Overall it was well done.  Sorry no pictures it was before cheap digital cameras and cell phones.  The car had a few other unusual things that made different.  It had a wood grain radio delete plate.  Dual washer bottles in the trunk with spray bars in the mini tubbed wheel wells.  A slight flair on all four wheel openings for the fat tires.  The exhaust kicked out ahead of rear tires.  It sat high and had the gas tank bars with red light on them. 
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

cdr

Quote from: XH29N0G on September 14, 2020, 06:41:31 AM
Thank you everyone. 

I just wanted to know if there had something done by someone here and if a clear comparison had been made. 

I am aware of the cowl induction strategies on the older race cars.  One like that in the picture would require a bit of fabrication to make it to that part of the cowl.  I think in my car I would have to pass through the interior to get to the well that is fed by the cowl.  I saw that the cowl can be reached on the outside from a post somewhere else.

:cheers:

When I had a carb & cowl hood, I sealed up the hood to the air filter, & picked up about 2mph at the track 1/4 mile, on the street the car just ran better smoother, AFR was much more consistent
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr