News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking at a '72 SE 440 today

Started by Wasco, September 03, 2020, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wasco

Hi all - I'm checking out a 1972 Charger SE project with a non-matching numbers 440 this afternoon, because I've been married a long time and I feel like a change.   :laugh:  Do they have the same problem areas as the 2nd gen (rear window, quarters, trunk, rear frame rails) or is there a specific area on 3rd gens I would worry about being a deal breaker?  Thanks

ACUDANUT

Buy mine. restored original hemi orange. with 71 decals and a 69 383 auto. 4.11 rear gears. FAST

Nacho-RT74

Pretty much the same. Adding the C pillars area rust down the vinyl roof due an added body plug filler on quarter glass opening for 72/74 SEs.

I never have advertised any specific damage to check related to frame rails. I guess except if you are on the rust belt area in USA.

On interior... good plastic panels ( non chalky ).
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Daytona R/T SE

Check where the hood hinges bolt to the inner fenders, common area for rust on these cars.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 04, 2020, 10:30:18 AM
Check where the hood hinges bolt to the inner fenders, common area for rust on these cars.

really? Never have found that on a 3rd gen at least
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

ACUDANUT

Nacho, on 73/74 engine hood mounts, they were made better. Less chance of them rusting there.

Nacho-RT74

mmmm, if you put those side by side ( 71/72 vs 73/74 ) I can't note any major diff between my car with all the 71/72 I have seen... but well... if several of you you say that... well :shruggy:. It doesn't hurt to check that area anyway :P

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on September 05, 2020, 07:09:05 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 04, 2020, 10:30:18 AM

really? Never have found that on a 3rd gen at least

Take a good look at one that's spent almost 50 years in Illinois. :Twocents:

My first '72 SE I bought in 1982 had rust issues there.

Two of my current '72s have it - both Illinois cars.

My current 72 SE doesn't have it- it's a California car.

Your results may vary...

Wasco

Thanks for the replies.  Anyone know how many '72 SE 440s (U code) were built? 

6bblgt

1972 440 Charger SE (WP29U2) ** GG's "white book" shows 755 (US spec.)

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Wasco on September 03, 2020, 03:44:42 PM
Hi all - I'm checking out a 1972 Charger SE project with a non-matching numbers 440 this afternoon, Thanks

So,

It's been a couple of days...

Where are the pictures?  :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on September 05, 2020, 10:01:20 AM
mmmm, if you put those side by side ( 71/72 vs 73/74 ) I can't note any major diff between my car with all the 71/72 I have seen... but well... if several of you you say that... well :shruggy:. It doesn't hurt to check that area anyway :P

Just look the inner fenders Nacho. They are different.

Wasco

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 05, 2020, 03:45:08 PM

So,

It's been a couple of days...

Where are the pictures?  :shruggy:

I wasn't able to do more than a quick look but I'll be doing a thorough examination tomorrow, I hope.  Haven't Galen's numbers been widely refuted and in some cases completely invalidated?  But from what I've been able to find elsewhere (735), that's in the ballpark at around 750.

VegasCharger

Firewall underneath the wiper motor area where that rubber flap is. That flap was designed to be removed and let the built up debris to be cleared out. And of course most owners wouldn't do that maintenance. Debris would build up and form condensation to begin the rusting process. Actually it's the cowl that gets rusted out.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 05, 2020, 08:28:25 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on September 05, 2020, 10:01:20 AM

Just look the inner fenders Nacho. They are different.

I know they are diff, but not that much on that specific area. But whatever, I'm not the guy to say you are wrong about the rust issue ther after your own experiences  ;)

ACUDANUT

All 71-72 B an E bodies have the same inner fenders.
Wasco, the 72 SE had alot of body filler to make "smaller windows" on the sides. (the windows are actually all the same size) and they had to have a full vinyl roof to cover it up.  :Twocents:

DanielRobert

my 65,000 mile 72 has rust around the hood hinge area...seems pretty common to me. Rear of front fenders at the bottom will rust before other parts of the fender, trunk drop downs and outer wheel houses seem to go before other areas
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

Wasco

But the VIN only shows it was a 440 car - so of the 750 or so, is there no way of knowing how many had the SE package?  What's a good guess, half?

Nacho-RT74

Never thought I was to post this so soon after fix some files, LOL

Apparently the number you got is specific ABOUT SE package cars.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Wasco on September 12, 2020, 12:25:16 AM
But the VIN only shows it was a 440 car - so of the 750 or so, is there no way of knowing how many had the SE package?  What's a good guess, half?

The 29 in the Vin makes it a SE.

6bblgt

Quote from: Wasco on September 07, 2020, 08:06:36 PM
.....  Haven't Galen's numbers been widely refuted and in some cases completely invalidated? .....

Galen's numbers are the best out there - every website showing any breakdown of drivetrain combination or OPTIONs is copying/plagiarizing Galen's "white book" work

the problem is incorrect representation/interpretations of his "white book" numbers - or poor interpretations of his registry/decoding/authentication paperwork

I'll use the '72 Charger SE numbers above for example:
22,430 Total Production (pretty much written in stone & one will find numerous sources for that number)
20,964 SHIPPED to a USA destination (93%) is there any source for this number besides GG?

that leaves 1,466 1972 Charger SEs (7% of production unaccounted for): this includes cars shipped to CANADA, shipped overseas & shipped to USA

1972 Charger SE - WP29 w/440HP *** the OPTION & ACCESORY REPORT (SHIPPED USA) shows 3.6%  *** 20,964 units X 3.6% = 755 cars (this is not a bulletproof "all production accounted for" number)
the problems:
built in record keeping/multiplication error accounts for +/- 10 cars (0.05%) - now that 755 is a number between 745 & 765
the unaccounted for 1,466 cars has additional  440HP SE cars - nobody knows how many (1, 20, 40, 80, ??)

1972 Charger SE - WP29 w/440HP & 4-speed *** the OPTION & ACCESORY REPORT (SHIPPED USA) shows 0.1%  *** 20,964 units X 0.1% = 21 cars (this is not a bulletproof "all production accounted for" number)
the problems:
built in record keeping/multiplication error accounts for +/- 10 cars (0.05%) - now that 21 is a number between 11 & 31
the unaccounted for 1,466 cars has additional  440HP 4-speed SE cars - nobody knows how many (1, 20, 40, 80, ??)

Wasco

That number breakdown is pretty incredible!  So few SE 440s.....

Well, I've decided to pass on the '72 SE440.  It's really cool and I could get it back on the road quickly, but I'm finally able to focus on my '68 and I just don't have the space, time or enthusiasm for two projects. He's only asking $4000, and he pulled the ad down because of all the loonies and people just wanting to buy parts off it (!).  If someone is looking for a super rare, super solid 3rd generation Charger, this could be the one!  Needs patches in the driver floor and the usual work fixing the sail panels, but I was pretty surprised how little bodywork it needed - but I'd just replaced 65% of the panels on my last project car so this one seemed pretty great to me, with the exception of the floor and a beat up lower valence in the rear.  The usual attention needed where the pillar meets the roof and the sails.  No option tag, but VIN and clear title.  I don't think the seats have ever been out, so maybe there's a build sheet in there somewhere.  I'll try to post pictures ....but message me if you want me to send them directly because getting pictures to post here is $@#$^@#(*%&^#@*

Wasco

Nevermind - he had another buyer lined up

ACUDANUT

Wasco, the 72 SE had alot of body filler to make "smaller windows" on the sides. (the windows are actually all the same size) and they had to have a full vinyl roof to cover it up.
IMO The SE ruined the smooth cool flow of the roof/body lines.  Find a Rallye. !!