News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to use to remove bellhousing dowels from block

Started by 66FBCharger, August 17, 2020, 11:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

What ways have you used to pull the dowel pins (that position the bellhousing) out of the back of a 440?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Kern Dog

I've read of people welding flat steel to them and prying the while thing out.

John_Kunkel

I've had some success with simply clamping large Vise-Grips on the dowel and twist/pull. Of course this leaves jaw marks on the dowel, if it's to be reused just turn it around.

Some resort to drilling all the way through and tapping for a grease fitting then push it out with hydraulic pressure from the grease gun.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

timmycharger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 18, 2020, 01:48:45 PM
I've had some success with simply clamping large Vise-Grips on the dowel and twist/pull. Of course this leaves jaw marks on the dowel, if it's to be reused just turn it around.

Some resort to drilling all the way through and tapping for a grease fitting then push it out with hydraulic pressure from the grease gun.

I drilled/tapped mine, was able to get it out that way as described.  :Twocents:

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Kern Dog

The newer Tremec manual transmissions are more sensitive to runout. The input shaft needs to be centered to a much tighter spec than an automatic or an 833.
Silver Sport Transmissions  states something to the effect that simply installing their transmissions without checking runout usually results in poor shifting, popping out of gear, clutch chatter, etc.
The fix is offset dowels. To install them, the stock ones have to come out.

Dmichels

I used a die from a tap set and threaded it on the dowel pin It pulled itself out once the die contacted the block
68 440 4 speed 4.10

BSB67

Quote from: Dmichels on August 26, 2020, 12:09:03 PM
I used a die from a tap set and threaded it on the dowel pin It pulled itself out once the die contacted the block

Nice problem solving.  :2thumbs: 

I would have drilled and tapped it, but you way is even better and simpler.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

66FBCharger

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 18, 2020, 03:07:32 PM
Curious

Why do you need them out ?

I found that my bellhousing was not aligned with the crank. I need to pull them out to install offset dowels.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body