News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clutch chatter and break in period

Started by Paul G, August 20, 2020, 06:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I put a McLeod Super Street Pro clutch in the 73 behind the new 505. The 505 is a beast, not dynoed, no numbers, but just a beast.

McLeod says to give the clutch 500 miles of easy street driving to break it in. That is going to take a very long time. What if this was a race car? Break in like that is not possible. Is there another way?

Letting the clutch out easy with very little throttle makes a shutter that rattles the dash. Letting it out with a little more throttle, and no shutter at all. Is that normal? Will it eventually go away?

I have been easy on it to a point. No hole shots or burn outs. I let the clutch fully engage before I nail it, even then the clutch sometimes can not hold and slips. I can smell it. I wont do that again until it has 500 miles... 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

b5blue

Just drive it normal...no hot rodding. Your allowing everything to heat cycle and burnish the surfaces. Do a bunch of stop and go driving for a few days.