News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

brake problems

Started by charger01, May 18, 2006, 12:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger01

I got my 69 charger fired up today for the first time :icon_smile_big: Seemed to run ok but the brake pedal is hard as a rock.   The entire brake system is new including the power brake booster.  My only guess is this.  Where the brake linkage hooks under the dash with the two bolts.  Should this be tight or loose?  Trying to figure this out.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Blown70

Quote from: charger01 on May 18, 2006, 12:42:54 PM
I got my 69 charger fired up today for the first time :icon_smile_big: Seemed to run ok but the brake pedal is hard as a rock.   The entire brake system is new including the power brake booster.  My only guess is this.  Where the brake linkage hooks under the dash with the two bolts.  Should this be tight or loose?  Trying to figure this out.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Is the peddal hard with the car running only or when it is off?  The pivot bolt should not be overly tight.... if you used the stock type bolt is should not loosen on you.

Tom

charger01

It's hard with the car running.  The bolts are the factor bolts.  Pedal just wont go down. Is it possible to overtighten the bolts on the pivot under the dash?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Are you getting good vacuum to the booster?

Generally a failed booster or a booster that is not getting enough vacuum will give you a rock hard pedal
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

charger01

I assume its getting good vacuum, although I  have not checked it.  Right into the back of the intake manifold.  Brake booster is new, but it's one of those auto zone ones.  I have had bad experience with new ones from them before.

mysil bergsprekken

hey,
your brake problem seems similar to mine, although not completely, i am able to push the pedal in with no problem, but it won't come out again. It just might be the brake pedal pivot in my case too..hmm... Ill just wait and see if some one replies to the topic i posted.
have you lubed your brake pedal pivot? how often do one have to do this, seems like athing on must do on a very rear occation.. i don't know... good luck
69 charger RT

69BlackChargerRT

Sounds like a bad booster.  I had the SAME problem on my 69.  I had my booster rebuilt and installed it.  Pedal was hard as a rock and would hardly stop the car.  I thought it was the check valve, but had it rebuilt anyways on the advice of a friend.  Re-installed my rebuilt rebuilt booster, and waa-laa, it worked like new.  Cost an extra $125 cause the first rebuild shop said it was fine (which it was not) and took I it somewhere else.

dodge freak

I am on my third one from Auto Zone. First one in July work ok for 3 weeks then no booster when I floor it, I drive with left foot on the brake always. I said oh well then 2 weeks ago it started leaking so bad the engine would idle very rough so out it went :punkrocka:. Now this new one holds vacuum great but I need to use both feet to lock the brakes up :o. After changing the front pads and bleeding the brakes twice I got Auto zone to give a third one. Am putting it in this weekend :image_294343:. Its no more Auto zone stuff for me anymore. This one comes in a nice box but no name on it. :(

Chryco Psycho

is the vacuum line to the booster Teed to go to other things like the PCV , the booster needs a separate line to the intake

dodge freak

No its only to the booster from the base plate of my carb. 3 / 8 hose in fine shape. All I did was to swap booster and master cyc. It was a comb. that I bought. Now my pedal is harder than before. When I start the motor the pedal does get better if I pump it while the motor was off but its not like it was. I could drive bare foot if I wanted to, not now. [ not that I ever would]

Nacho-RT74

check the air valve mounted on booster... it could be damaged
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

dodge freak

Problem solved--bad brake booster! I swap my one week old unit out and put another auto zone crap in cause it was "free" under warranty and brakes are fine now. It holds vacuum AND helps me brake just fine now. This is the third one in 10 months and my car was stored inside for 5 of those months. If this one goes bad I am asking for my money back! Maybe Napa stuff is better but I hope I don't have to find out. You would think it should last a long time. That box had no name or were it was from, just had brake booster on it in a white box, it look good but the last 2 were no good. So long Auto Zone.

charger01

Man I have searched Auto zone. Napa, Advanced auto and every other auto parts store around me.  No one can get a power brake booster.  They all tell me National backorder.  I gotta get it fixed so I searched through The Paddock catolog.  For $239 and raping me another $50 for shipping I got a new one.  I removed the master cylinder to bleed it out and the brake booster push rod fell out.  I looked down into it, and there is a big concaved washer and a lock clip flopping around in it.  When I ordered it they said it was the only one they had in stock.  Now I gotta return this thing, and hopefully find another. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

dodge freak

May car was newer 79 , it had four bolts coming out in back. The master has just 2 in front but I think the newer ones can work as long as the brake lines hook up. The firewall I would not mess with. $ 239 is a RIP off, mines $79 rebuilt. Have any pictures?

charger01

Don't have any pics.  Already back in the box ready to be shipped back.  I had already painted them both with Eastwoods paint too.  Waste of paint and a waste of shipping.  I hope they pay to have this thing shipped back to them.  This sucks

dodge freak

Try summit racing they have aftermarket ones that are chrome. No it won't look stock but might work great and look good to if you like chrome. They are $200-$300 , too much for me but you already paid that much, if you get a refund I would call them up.

mysil bergsprekken

have you gotten it sorted out yet?
69 charger RT