News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger prices

Started by jefferson, June 13, 2020, 07:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferson

Jee is it just me. Or have charger prices just gone up again?
I cant find anything decent under 60 to 100k.
And now even 60 seems to be buying a car needing work

Wtf. 
Been checking ebay . Craiglist and fb.
:shruggy:

Homerr

The more speculative types may be trying to get out of the market right now, and wanting top dollar.

marshallfry01

Man you aren't kidding on the prices. I've been looking for one and it's definitely not a buyers market right now. It's hard to fathom spending as much on a 50 year old car that you could buy a small home for.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

70B5Cuda

Interesting. I would have expected actual sales prices to have come down a bit over the last 3 months. That may still be the case since we usually don't know what stuff has sold for.
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

1968Fever

If you notice most Chargers for sale are by dealers, which is why asking is high.  There are very few private owned cars for sale.  I have been looking at this market for years now and this is the worst time I have ever seen for buying.  The idea that Charger prices would be better deals right now is false for a number of reasons.

jefferson

I was looking all last night online.searching more so for drivers
Cheapest i could find was 50k for a 68 on craiglist.  Then went 60 to 70k and then over 100k.
30k isnt even getting anything decent anymore lol.
Yea seems a lot of chargers being sold thru dealers. 
Prices are steep as.
Spewing i missed the opportunity last year to buy a 69 driver in another state from me for 55k AUD. works out about 38 to 40k USD.
They seem almost double that now.

Mike DC

Economic conditions for the poor/middle Americans haven't really even hit bottom yet.  There may be more deals in several more months.  

The average owner of a classic Charger doesn't work at a low-level job.  But they may have family who are affected by the mess.  

RiverRaider

More buyers than sellers right now with the lack of car shows and swap meets, just less cars are on the market than normal.
There are a few deals here and there but most prices this spring/summer that I have seen are up. 
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

Kern Dog

Crazy stuff.
What would this be worth to a buyer?
1970 with fresh trunk floor. 383 is getting rebuilt. Interior is trashed, needs body and paint too. In 2 months this will be a running and driving complete car.
I plan to keep it but what would one have to pay to buy it? Is it a $15000 car ??

Kern Dog

Completely solid underbody, rust around rear window has been repaired.
As of now, I have $7000 in it including the purchase price. I'll need another $1500 to $2000 to get it running so I'm still under $10,000.

70B5Cuda

If it runs and drives I'd say $15-17k.
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

Kern Dog

That is bonkers.  I do believe it though, thanks.

AKcharger

Quote from: 70B5Cuda on June 14, 2020, 01:15:31 PM
Interesting. I would have expected actual sales prices to have come down a bit over the last 3 months. That may still be the case since we usually don't know what stuff has sold for.

Same here...but there's a big difference in asking and what's being sold

stripedelete

By the time it's over, we will have printed about $6 trillion.   In 3-5 years we are not going to know what anything is worth.   
Note:  This a macroeconomic observation (or maybe microeconomic - I didn't do well in either) not a political statement.

RiverRaider

Quote from: 70B5Cuda on June 15, 2020, 11:23:15 PM
I would agree $15-17 is about right.  I have seen two local cars go for 3500 and 5000 this spring that needed sliders and wheel bars to load them.
For you guys that are not in the rust belt wheel bars bolt to the lug studs or weld to the wheels to keep that car from pulling apart when being moved and
sliders are basically ski for the stuck wheels.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

chargermick

Two months ago I saw a 69 with rust from front to rear and side to side for $13,000. I thought he was fishing for idiot. Maybe I was wrong?

darbgnik

Quote from: 70B5Cuda on June 15, 2020, 11:23:15 PM

Yup on the high side of that range. Especially with no primer on it, so you can see what you're buying.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Kern Dog

I'm not going to spray primer on it. Nope. I'm going to get it running and reliable and drive it ratty for awhile. When I feel like it, I'll jump in with both feet, pull the car apart and do the body and paint.

Bad B-rad

I have not been watching prices at all over last 4 years, but Hagerty told me, sight unseen, a running and driving road worthy, 1969 model year,Charger is valued at $45,000.
I understand that's their agreed value coverage, not what they selling for.
But that's what they valued mine at when I put insurance on in April.
Mine is just a regular 69 Charger.(#'s 383 4bbl, auto, PS/PB/A/C)
I thought mine was worth $25-30K.(not that I would sell it for that,LOL)
They also told me to have it revaluated, when I finish the work I am doing.
After reading these posts, I started to try and find some decent cars, and they do seem to be CRAZY.
Very glad I got mine when I did, LOL!!!

70 sublime

Quote from: Bad B-rad on June 17, 2020, 07:48:30 AM
I have not been watching prices at all over last 4 years, but Hagerty told me, sight unseen, a running and driving road worthy, 1969 model year,Charger is valued at $45,000.
I understand that's their agreed value coverage, not what they selling for.
But that's what they valued mine at when I put insurance on in April.
Mine is just a regular 69 Charger.(#'s 383 4bbl, auto, PS/PB/A/C)
I thought mine was worth $25-30K.(not that I would sell it for that,LOL)
They also told me to have it revaluated, when I finish the work I am doing.
After reading these posts, I started to try and find some decent cars, and they do seem to be CRAZY.
Very glad I got mine when I did, LOL!!!

That is exactly what they told me after I started driving this spring
I only had $25000 on my car as I have a lot less than that invested in it but was thinking on bumping it up to $30 000
I got my letter from Hagerty saying mine should be worth $43500 so I bumped it up to that

I keep watching prices on stuff just to see if i ever sold it or lost it what it would cost to replace in the same shape and condition
I always get asked " Is it for sale ? " or " How much for your Charger ?"
Used to think $30 000 would be my answer but now think $40 000 for me to find another to get it this far along
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Bad B-rad

Is that real???
That car sold for $25,000 BUCKS??????
I am not trying to be funny, but are there even $20,000 worth of parts there?
I understand they do not make 1969 Chargers anymore, but seller said frame is in terrible shape.
Anyone who has restored or repaired cars before, will tell you, sometimes its not what you see, its the stuff you cant see, that will kill you.
Once you cut rusted panels off, VERY RARELY do you find gold hidden beneath. Most of the time rusted out panels are attached to rusted out metal behind that!!!!

Bad B-rad

70Sublime, so I guess we are lucky!!
My car has crash damage to driver 1/4(smashed in the early70's) but no rust.
They told be once I repair the 1/4, I must up the value.

I am blown away about that $25,000. sale of that car.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 15, 2020, 11:05:42 PM
Crazy stuff.
What would this be worth to a buyer?
1970 with fresh trunk floor. 383 is getting rebuilt. Interior is trashed, needs body and paint too. In 2 months this will be a running and driving complete car.
I plan to keep it but what would one have to pay to buy it? Is it a $15000 car ??

I'd give you $15K for that -

Down here in socal projects run $15-30K
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

70gtx440dana

OMG....$25K for the Flordia rust bucket. That is insane.
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54