News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the farthest you've drive your Charger?

Started by NYCMille, May 18, 2006, 08:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

Just as the question above states. Next month is the Hot Rod Power Tour and even though I am only doing the last let of the tour it will still encompass about 600 miles round trip. So I was just curious as to how far everyone has driven their cars in one shot...

Also, what "emergency" items would you bring with you?

Cheers - Mike

71440charger

bring a floor jack and a small tool box with the normal wrenches and sockets
The Killer Cam

tan top

Quote from: 71440charger on May 18, 2006, 08:45:58 AM

:iagree: also a couple of decent fire extinguishers  / dependeat on how many miles you are going , engine  & trans oil  / voltage regulator /cap -rotor- leads -plugs ,what ever could malfunction on the ignition set up you are running, fuel filter, radiator hoses / fan & p/s belts / empty   gas can / and a empty can for water, ,/ and    should the worst happen , fender covers / shop rags / box of disposable gloves / pair of overalls / couple of grease proof seat covers / and some of your favorate hand cleaner.
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Old Moparz

Not in my Charger, but I did a 2000 mile trip in my '69 Satellite convertible once. I used my vacation time to go to the 1985 Mopar Nationals in MI with my wife, who was my girlfriend at the time. We left on a Wednesday, got there on Thursday, stayed for the whole show, swap, & racing until Sunday. Since my boss at the time was tighter than a crab's ass, which is waterproof, I wasn't getting paid for my one week vacation & decided not to come back right away.

Took two weeks off since my wife had two weeks, & drove north to Ontario & spent time driving around Canada & eventually eastward to Niagara Falls, New York, & then south back home to New Jersey. Most of the trip was excellent weather so the top was down for most of the 2000 miles. I had my tool box with me, as well as an extra voltage regulator, resistors, oil, water, brake fluid, transmission fluid, fire extinguisher, & a floor jack. One of these days I'd like to do another trip like this.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: tan top on May 18, 2006, 09:23:28 AM

:iagree: also a couple of decent fire extinguishers  / dependeat on how many miles you are going , engine  & trans oil  / voltage regulator /cap -rotor- leads -plugs ,what ever could malfunction on the ignition set up you are running, fuel filter, radiator hoses / fan & p/s belts / empty   gas can / and a empty can for water, should the worst happen , fender covers / shop rags / box of disposable gloves / pair of overalls / couple of grease proof seat covers / and some of you favorate hand cleaner.

Basicaly bring an entire parts car with you! :icon_smile_big:

BBD

RD

bring an electric fuel pump (el cheapo).  You can them from any autoparts store for cheap.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

tan top

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on May 18, 2006, 10:07:55 AM
Quote from: tan top on May 18, 2006, 09:23:28 AM

:iagree: also a couple of decent fire extinguishers  / dependeat on how many miles you are going , engine  & trans oil  / voltage regulator /cap -rotor- leads -plugs ,what ever could malfunction on the ignition set up you are running, fuel filter, radiator hoses / fan & p/s belts / empty   gas can / and a empty can for water, should the worst happen , fender covers / shop rags / box of disposable gloves / pair of overalls / couple of grease proof seat covers / and some of you favorate hand cleaner.

Basicaly bring an entire parts car with you! :icon_smile_big:

BBD

:smilielol:  i was thinking of doing the same also :smilielol: , good one BBD :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

topduarte

The most I have done in one day is 250 miles.

Also, add carb springs just in case one breaks, very cheap!!

Chris G.

Bring a AAA card. The power tour is only good for magazine exposure. Other than that it's just a breakdown fest. But to answer your question, I have driven 400 miles round trip the same day with my car, and thankfully had no problems. I only brought a cell phone.

Why not attend the Mopar shows in your Mopar? Hit e-town this weekend, go to Carlisle.  :Twocents:

Blown70

Well anything could happen.  My advice jack up the car and give her a good look over.  See if you see any oil leaks, loose bolts. 

Chances are if you look things over it will not be a problem.

ALSO, you could bring a lot of tools however.  I would bring a socket set 3/8 drive.  an extension. 

VISE GRIP, CRESENT WRENCH.... what more do you need?

Duct tape of the hoses, if needed.  1 qt oil, 1 qt tranny fluid. 

Tom

nh_mopar_fan

I flew out to Cincy and drove my car back to NH.

930 miles.

Brock Samson

Todd Wilson

I have drove my 71 Charger 800 miles round trip on a few occasions.

A few years ago I drove my 69 a little over 600 miles round trip. The 318 had 220000+ miles on it so I wasnt sure about the engine as I had not owned the car very long so I loaded for heavy repairs. Belts, waterpump, alt.  and some other things. I also had Chryco Psycho  stuffed in the car for part of the trip! Thats the best insurance! HAHA! 

On our return journey after we dropped Chryco off   Rick Keeselers 70 Charger started to run hot and we stoppped to find the gasket around the thermostat housing was leaking. Since I had loaded for heavy repair I had lots of water but we had no gasket to fix it. We ended up using a carboard box similair to what an oil filter comes in  and made our own gasket and got it back together and finished the trip home.

If everything is in good mehcanic shape you really have nothing to worry about other then rubber parts like tires,belts and hoses. It will probably do  the motor some good to get it out on the highway and run for a few hundred miles.

Since you are on the power tour you will be with other old cars. What I have found is in the big citys passing thru  I just take the slow lane and work my way thru. You cant run the rat race anymore with these old cars and their antique brakes. All these new little cars with ABS and 4 wheel discs will get you sooner or later. You've always got to think ahead in case the 4 lanes of traffic comes to a stop.

Todd

Blown70

Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 18, 2006, 11:57:06 AM

I  You cant run the rat race anymore with these old cars and their antique brakes. All these new little cars with ABS and 4 wheel discs will get you sooner or later. You've always got to think ahead in case the 4 lanes of traffic comes to a stop.

Todd

Ohh The brakes he has on that thing I would put up there with a VETTE....

CFMopar

2003 i drove mine 550 KM with a faild master cylinder. She didnt let me down :P
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

bull

Does it count if it was 20 years ago? Because back then I routinely (twice a year for three or four years) drove my 383/auto '70 Charger on 700-mile round trips to Eastern Oregon and back from Portland and vice-versa. The best mileage I ever got with that car was when I spent 3 hours of one of those trips at right around 90 mph following an empty flatbed long-haul truck. I got 22 mpg that day and I never broke down on any of those trips.

What to bring? A hammer, duct tape, a Leatherman tool, a cell phone and a AAA card.

Ponch ®

that's funny...the farthest I ever drove my charger was to a party at a friends house about 35 miles away. With gas prices being what they are, that probably won't change when I get it running again.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

charger_lady

Looks like you've got a list of everything you could need for the road trip.

As for how far we have driven our Charger...back in 91, our road trip to PEI from Ontario,round trip,would have put on over 7000 km. That would be the farthest road trip we took her on. No problems...our daughter slept almost the whole way. Mind you, she would always fall asleep when she got in the Charger. She still falls asleep when she goes for a cruise with us and she's 16 yrs old now...lol

Have fun on the tour and take lots of pics ;)

4402tuff4u

Approximately 20 miles! The weekend after I received delivery of it, took it for a spin to the Ocean Parkway here in LI - had her up to 90 mph and then took her back home. Then the next day took the tools out and started the dismantling phase for restoration. :yesnod:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Just 6T9 CHGR

I too made the 400 mile trek to Carlisle last year.   It was a blast.

What did I bring?  A cell phone, spare tire, extra coil, ballast, ign modlue, fuel pump etc.....

I also brought along a great support crew whom I followed down & back :cheers:

Thankfully this year, your friend & mine Chris (Burnt70R/T) has graciously offered to trailer my car down this year....the gas prices are rediculoius & I hope his Hemi Ram will get better mileage than the Charger will :eek:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

The farthest I've driven my Charger - 200 meters!   :rotz:

Maybe next year.

Have fun.

NYCMille

Thanks for all the replies guys - the trip should be fun. We've been going over the car every weekend a little bit at a time. I'm also going with 5 other buddies that are making the trip from Long Island to PA and then onto Englishtown. 
The list is as follows: my 1968 Charger, 1971 Dodge Dart GT, 1969 Camaro, 1988 Mitsubishi Starion with a 340 small block and another 71 Dodge Dart GT. It will be the first time I've had the Charger at the lights so I am anxious to see what it runs in the quarter.

Otherwise I should be good to go - I will definitely take a bunch of pics and hopefully a few movies as well - my wife is riding shotgun and will be in charge of all handicam work. I will definitely be bringing a bunch of supplies and extra parts and such so it should be a great trip.

If anyone else from LI/NYC/NJ want to join our caravan just PM me and let me know.

4402tuff4u

Quote from: NYCMille on May 18, 2006, 01:35:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys - the trip should be fun. We've been going over the car every weekend a little bit at a time. I'm also going with 5 other buddies that are making the trip from Long Island to PA and then onto Englishtown. 
The list is as follows: my 1968 Charger, 1971 Dodge Dart GT, 1969 Camaro, 1988 Mitsubishi Starion with a 340 small block and another 71 Dodge Dart GT. It will be the first time I've had the Charger at the lights so I am anxious to see what it runs in the quarter.

Otherwise I should be good to go - I will definitely take a bunch of pics and hopefully a few movies as well - my wife is riding shotgun and will be in charge of all handicam work. I will definitely be bringing a bunch of supplies and extra parts and such so it should be a great trip.

If anyone else from LI/NYC/NJ want to join our caravan just PM me and let me know.

I wish mine was ready Mike, as you know, I'm still working on her - would love to have her at the track too! later.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

69_500

Hmmmm, well I've drove it St. Louis 2 times and that is 250 miles one way. This year I intend on driving it to Carlisle PA though. Not sure how far that one is. As far as taking suplies? I just add gas and go. If the car makes a 20 mile drive no problem, then 500 isn't bad either. In my opinion. :)

NHCharger

I drive my 72 Charger to Carlisle and back every year, about 1200 miles round trip. As mentioned above I pack enough tools and parts to take care of most problems. The one item not mentioned is mechanics wire, it's the only thing I've needed to use so far (exhaust system was dragging on the ground).
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: NYCMille on May 18, 2006, 01:35:51 PM

Are you coming to the MANats?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

chrisII

last summer i was drivin the charger 40 miles each way to see gf. did this about 6 or 8 times and never even carried a spare tire. guess i just got lucky never has a problem

moparguy01

89MOPAR

approx 2100 miles , one way.  Bought it, flew in, drove it home.  Brought bag full of tools. If it wasn;t mentioned - wire stripper + extra wire.

No problems on my trip though. :icon_smile_big:
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

NYCMille

Just 6T9_CHGR....

I have no idea... when is it?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: NYCMille on May 19, 2006, 07:25:10 AM
Just 6T9_CHGR....

I have no idea... when is it?

Whaaaa???  You're kidding right?  :rotz:

The MANats is the 2nd largest all Mopar show on the east coast.

Its this weekend the 20th & 21st

See here for the post that been going on for the past week or so.....

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13678.0.html
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparjohn

Well so far I think I am the distance king, slightly over 4000 miles last year when I left NJ, went to Madison Wi. by way of Lexington Va. Then from Madison I travelled to Boerne Texas and then back home! The trunk had 2 tool boxes 1 w/tools 1 w/parts- although I did not need any save a door/window problem I was trouble free (wish the gas was free) I will have the photo albumn at E-town for anyone there that would like top see. This year I am making a small trek to Jeff. City Mo. for the TDC meet- only 1050 each way. Chargers were ment to be driven!
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

charger_lady

Quote from: moparjohn on May 19, 2006, 09:30:20 AM
Well so far I think I am the distance king, slightly over 4000 miles last year when I left NJ, went to Madison Wi. by way of Lexington Va. Then from Madison I travelled to Boerne Texas and then back home! The trunk had 2 tool boxes 1 w/tools 1 w/parts- although I did not need any save a door/window problem I was trouble free (wish the gas was free) I will have the photo albumn at E-town for anyone there that would like top see. This year I am making a small trek to Jeff. City Mo. for the TDC meet- only 1050 each way. Chargers were ment to be driven!

WOW...now thats a road trip...LOL
I agree with your last statement too...CHARGERS WERE...& ARE MEANT TO DRIVE!!!!!!!!   :yesnod:
OH WHAT A FEELING...WHAT A RUSH!!!

blackcharger

7 hours each way fron here to Frankenmuth,Mi. Only trouble I ever had was a bad muffler.
And instead of an empty can for water, several cans or gallon jugs WITH water. You can usually doctor things up on the side of the road if a hose blows, but a supply of water can be hard to come by.

Dave

Sendero

Approx. 3,250 miles across the country with no stops save GAS.
No Hotels just switching  drivers all the long way !!!!!!!!!  :icon_smile_evil:

2Gunz

New York to California.

And the car wasnt running the day before.

The only thing I used was water and lots of it.

The 440 wasnt digging the 100+ temps in the desert.

I had to stop once in awhile and pour water on the radiator to cool her down a bit.

Amazing how fast that will pull the temp down.

DodgeChargerNeeded

My last charger was about 325 miles away, drove there and drove it home with no problems, About 6 years ago my brother and I went to Memphis, TN to get a Charger and drove it straight home, 800 miles took about 16 hours straight through. no problems at all.
Jeff

AKcharger

3200 miles for last years charger feaver meet in Kansas, had a ball and even got a cool "farthest driven" plaque which is hung proudly in my barracks room here in Korea.

Charger1970

QuoteApprox. 3,250 miles across the country with no stops save GAS.
No Hotels just switching  drivers all the long way !!!!!!!!! 

:cheers:

My brother and I drove my Charger from California to Georgia non-stop, about 2,500 miles.
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

bluesfool

My wife and I drove up to Maine from Delaware, I bought it and drove it 400 miles back home. It burnt oil and leaked gas but it made it...it even spent overnight in a hotel parking lot. I spent the next 3 yrs. restoring it and since then, I've been too nervous to drive it over 120 miles one way. My "must have" kit contains a tool box, ignition module and coil, qt of oil, qt of trans oil, and electrical tape.

DarkAngel0816

Quote from: Ponch on May 18, 2006, 12:10:45 PM
that's funny...the farthest I ever drove my charger was to a party at a friends house about 35 miles away. With gas prices being what they are, that probably won't change when I get it running again.

And I thought I would give a bad answer....I think mine is about 7 miles away with my 70 Charger.  I would dare to go no further....
I love my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T Clone

RECHRGD

Drive it 'til it breaks!  Seriously though, if I know I'm going over 200 miles to a show or whatever, I'll trailer it.  I've put about 27,000 miles on mine since it was completed.  It's let me down three times.  Once, right after I got her on the road, due to a bad rebuild on the transmission that resulted in an 80 mph tranny explosion that we were lucky to survive uninjured.  The second time was last year, again the tranny went out about 100 miles from home.  Third time was just a coil failure in traffic this year.  the coil was new (chrome accel unit, they don't last) I had a spare coil in the trunk, but don't trouble shoot well under pressure.  Had to pay to have a flatbed take it three blocks to my favorite shop.  My trunk is full of everything I can think of that may go out.  Remember, most of the shops that may be available to you in an emergency do not have any techs that were around when these cars were roaming the streets.  If they can't plug a computer into it they have no clue what's wrong.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32