News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody use a locking gas cap on their Charger ?

Started by 70 sublime, March 24, 2020, 09:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegasCharger

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 04, 2020, 10:10:13 PM.....I ended up buying one from Layson so will see what it looks like when it gets here.....

Did you receive you lock cap yet from Laysons? If so is it good quality?

:cheers:

70 sublime

Quote from: VegasCharger on April 13, 2020, 09:54:29 PM
Quote from: 70 sublime on April 04, 2020, 10:10:13 PM.....I ended up buying one from Layson so will see what it looks like when it gets here.....

Did you receive you lock cap yet from Laysons? If so is it good quality?

:cheers:

Still waiting
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

FastbackJon

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 13, 2020, 09:07:20 PM
It seems like a lot of Chargers have these locks in the fuel filler tube

What do you guys do with the locks when you take them out to pump in the gas ?
Set them on the trunk lid ?
Set them on top of the gas pump ?
Set them on the ground ??

Think If I put it any place other than right in front of my nose on the trunk lid I might forget it
My paint is not too fancy yet but some day it will be better and not sure I would want to set it on the car

Since you have to unlock it with a key you also have to lock it with the key. So I just unlock it and leave the key in it, set it on top of the gas pump. Pump away and put it back when I'm done. No issues losing the piece since the keys are with it.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

kent

Still??
That's why I don't want to order anything from anywhere. Some how with my luck it would get lost at the border. My luck.

On top of rear tire. That's where I put mine off my 80 Roadrunner while filling up. Filler is located at around the 2 o'clock position of the rear wheel well. Never lost it yet since 86'  Pump works nicely. Even set it on the back window a few times with it resting up against the window trim. I think I might have forgot it once on the pump for a few seconds. Seems familiar.  :shruggy: Getting old :scratchchin:
Kent

70 sublime

Quote from: kent on April 16, 2020, 05:38:15 AM
Still??
That's why I don't want to order anything from anywhere. Some how with my luck it would get lost at the border. My luck.

On top of rear tire. That's where I put mine off my 80 Roadrunner while filling up. Filler is located at around the 2 o'clock position of the rear wheel well. Never lost it yet since 86'  Pump works nicely. Even set it on the back window a few times with it resting up against the window trim. I think I might have forgot it once on the pump for a few seconds. Seems familiar.  :shruggy: Getting old :scratchchin:

I was wondering what was taking so long so emailed them yesterday
He is very good at replying to emails

They are still waiting to get their shipment in of stuff so .....
Maybe next week is the last I heard

bakerhillpins

I've got an OEM locking cap/plug on my 69. I'm assuming it was the original as it's on the broadcast sheet (IIRC? crs)

Think If I put it any place other than right in front of my nose on the trunk lid I might forget it
My paint is not too fancy yet but some day it will be better and not sure I would want to set it on the car

I just set it next to the fuel tube opening. It sits in the concave depression that rings the filler tube with the key in it. I can't close the cap without moving/replacing it.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

mr. hemi

Quote from: bakerhillpins on April 17, 2020, 11:33:00 AM
I've got an OEM locking cap/plug on my 69. I'm assuming it was the original as it's on the broadcast sheet (IIRC? crs)

I just set it next to the fuel tube opening. It sits in the concave depression that rings the filler tube with the key in it. I can't close the cap without moving/replacing it.

Same here.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

tan top

Nope ,  bought a NOS locking cap years ago , but never bothered to use it , my idea for not using it was  because its NOS in box  :shruggy: :coocoo: :lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Bronzedodge

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 30, 2020, 04:39:14 AM
I use one.  Also added the locking cap screws to prevent theft.... 

Neat, they look just like the pic.  Where did you get them?  Have a part #?
Mopar forever!

b5blue

A few years ago I sold off a bunch out of a box of 100 I had to buy just to get 3.  :lol: (I added the option to add a driver tip before I ordered.) Now vendors took notice and sell sets on eBay and the like. https://www.ebay.com/itm/68-70-Charger-67-69-Barracuda-67-GTX-Flip-Top-Gas-Cap-AntiTheft-Screws-Tool/382903361318?hash=item5926d19f26:g:z6cAAOSwLqFV7jZz

F8-4life

With the gas cap design being so attentiondrawing on a charger yes I got one for my car.
Payed up for a nos one in box I think I payed $165 / $175 for it.

70 sublime

I will see how it goes if and when it gets here
I ordered this Mar 31  :shruggy:

Maybe keep my eye open for an original lock for my other car

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: mr. hemi on April 18, 2020, 10:44:58 AM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on April 17, 2020, 11:33:00 AM

Same here.

X2 got mine in 1991 and used ever since.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

70 sublime

I got my notice yesterday April 24 that it has finally been shipped and on its way to me in the mail

VegasCharger

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 25, 2020, 03:32:30 PM
I got my notice yesterday April 24 that it has finally been shipped and on its way to me in the mail

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

INTMD8

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 24, 2020, 09:08:01 AM

Most of you guys probably do not let your car out of your sight when you are out and about but I tend to drive mine and park it to go for dinner or a movie ( well have not gone to the movies yet but is part of the plan )

This isn't even anything I've considered for many years.

To answer the question, no I do not not use any type of lock/security measure on the fuel tank.

Would rather take the 1000-1 odds I would be able to throat punch the person actually trying to steal fuel from that vehicle.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 16, 2020, 08:30:35 AM
Still??

Stuff comping from China is a little slow these days.

70 sublime

Quote from: INTMD8 on April 26, 2020, 02:04:35 AM

Most of you guys probably do not let your car out of your sight when you are out and about but I tend to drive mine and park it to go for dinner or a movie ( well have not gone to the movies yet but is part of the plan )

To answer the question, no I do not not use any type of lock/security measure on the fuel tank.

Would rather take the 1000-1 odds I would be able to throat punch the person actually trying to steal fuel from that vehicle.

I am not worried so much about any one trying to steal gas but more some one walking past dropping something down the pipe just because

b5blue

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 26, 2020, 03:50:39 AM
Quote from: 70 sublime on April 16, 2020, 08:30:35 AM
Still??

Stuff comping from China is a little slow these days.
Unless it's viral!  :lol:

DownZero

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 26, 2020, 09:32:57 AM

Would rather take the 1000-1 odds I would be able to throat punch the person actually trying to steal fuel from that

vehicle.

I am not worried so much about any one trying to steal gas but more some one walking past dropping something down the pipe just because

This is exactly why I have the locking gas cap.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 26, 2020, 09:32:57 AM

Yea same here but driving it less anyway.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

70 sublime

Well it is slowly getting closer

Processed through Facility April 29, 2020, 01:18 PM, VANCOUVER, CANADA
Customs Clearance Processing Complete April 29, 2020, 01:17 PM, CANADA
Processed Through Facility April 29, 2020, 12:55 PM, CANADA
Customs Clearance April 29, 2020, 12:55 PM, CANADA
In Transit to Next Facility April 29, 2020, 12:00 AM
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility April 28, 2020, 10:24 AM, SANTA CLARITA CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Departed USPS Regional Facility April 28, 2020, 01:49 AM, SAN FRANCISCO CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility April 26, 2020, 08:19 PM, SAN FRANCISCO CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Departed USPS Regional Facility April 26, 2020, 07:57 PM, SAN FRANCISCO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility April 26, 2020, 05:29 PM, SAN FRANCISCO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility April 26, 2020, 04:12 PM, SAN FRANCISCO CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Departed USPS Facility April 26, 2020, 03:26 AM, PORTLAND, OR 97215
Arrived at USPS Facility April 25, 2020, 02:00 PM, PORTLAND, OR 97215
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility April 25, 2020, 03:42 AM, SEATTLE WA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Departed Post Office April 24, 2020, 05:45 PM, LAKEWOOD, WA 98499
USPS in possession of item April 24, 2020, 05:20 PM, LAKEWOOD, WA 98499

70 sublime

Well I picked up my fuel neck lock today
I got a notice in my mail box on Monday I could pick it up yesterday

So I ordered it March 31 and got it May 6

Seems to look OK
Comes with 3 keys  :2thumbs:

Think I now need to shine up my gas cap

70 sublime

So my pet peeve with ordering parts

Part was $89 US funds
Was told shipping $20 but was charged $30 US funds

Come to $109 US
Visa exchange rate to Canadian was $1.44 so that now comes to $157

And of coarse there was duty of 13%
And a handling fee
Added another $26

So I ended up spending $182 Canadian to get myself an $89 fuel lock
I was thinking it would be about double by the time I get it and was not far off

This is half the reason my car looks the way it does
I would rather find stuff local ( or wait till something turns up ) than order a bunch of parts on line

Ghoste

And if it crosses the border on a UPS truck they will add another 50 bucks for brokerage.