News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

15 x 10 wheel question.........HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Goldfinger71, April 24, 2006, 01:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldfinger71

Hey,
If I go for the "old school" look and go with 15X10's with 5'inch backspacing in the rear for my 71,will I still have clearance issues?Please help me im tring to make my desicion soon..........THANKS! :icon_smile_cool:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

bull

I have heard that 4.5" to 5" backspacing will work fine. I haven't proven this to myself but plenty of other people on this board have said so. However, old school requires you to jack up the back end and stuff something with 15" of tread into the wheel wells. ;)

Goldfinger71

Ha,ha.....that's the main reason why im going with a 5' backspacing,becuase I don't want to jack up the rearend,I want to have the wheels and tires to fir snug under the wheelwells.................or is my thinking wrong? :icon_smile_approve: :icon_smile_question:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

my73charger

I have 15 x 10 wheels on my racing slicks and they clear fine inside and out.  I have 4.5" backspacing though on the rims.  To check your backspacing take your rear tire off, lay a straight edge across the hub, and measure how much room you have before it hits anything like your springs.  Remember though that you will need anough room for your rim plus the amount of tire that bulges off your rim.  Your tire will stick out a little further than your rim so if your rim has 5" backspacing you may want 6" of backspacing room to account for that.

flashley18

What size tires are you going to run with those wheels??

Chryco Psycho

I highly doubt you will get a 10" rim in a 71 wheelwell , for some reason the wheelwells got smaller after the massive 68-70 wheel wells

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 01, 2006, 01:18:15 AM
I highly doubt you will get a 10" rim in a 71 wheelwell , for some reason the wheelwells got smaller after the massive 68-70 wheel wells

I don't think the actual wheel well got much smaller... it's that the rear springs take up more room inside the wheel well because they are placed differently...   I can't find it at the moment but I believe the perch to perch measurement on a 71 is about 46" and on a 68-70 it's about 44".     I see a lot of 3rd gens running around are using 8" wheels  :-\

This guy on moparts had Dr. Diff make him an offset spring hanger kit like I had him make up for me awhile back.    Check it out.  http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2587989&an=0&page=5#Post2587989
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

blue69

The best thing to do is measure for yourself. There is no way to tell how off center your rear end was installed without measuring. They have sloppy tolerances. Pick a brand of tire you want and look at their specification's to see their installed height.

Goldfinger71

O.K,I have decided to go with 15x8.5 rear wheels.When I get rims I will post pics. :icon_smile_cool: