News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Red Locktite

Started by 440, April 26, 2020, 01:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I put together a Strange Pro Iron 9" center section with ARP ring gear bolts and red loctite #263 Super Stud Lock. #263 says it replaces the old #271.

I just tried a "test" to ensure the ring gear bolts wouldn't come loose. I just threaded a nut onto a bolt with red locktite to see how strong the locktite bond was. I let it sit for 24 hours and I was quite surprised how easy it was to undo, makes me uneasy that they will loosen over time. I know my test was far from ideal but I thought it would have been harder to remove.

I set up another test with a bolt and nut torqued with a spacer between and see if it makes a difference when I get home from work tomorrow.

I cleaned the ring gear bolts with acetone and the bolt holes with non residual brake cleaner. Should I be worried about them backing out? 85 ft/lb didn't feel like a lot of tension on the bolts, especially not in comparison to the 220ft/lb on the pinion nut  :lol: 

c00nhunterjoe

im not sure of a breakaway torque for loctite. Torque to the factory spec and let it go at that. The loctite is not an epoxy, it is only meant to prevent loosening from vibration.

John_Kunkel

If you want to test the effectiveness of red Loctite, try it on a small machine screw like 6-32; may/may not be able to remove it after it sets for a while.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

My second test was far better, I wonder if it was too cold for it to set up properly the first time.

I'll put it in and see how it goes. I have a feeling I'll be pulling it out and apart soon after anyways as the ring gear runout is .001" out of spec. For the time being I just want to get the axle in the car and pray that it's quiet.

cdr

Quote from: 440 on April 27, 2020, 07:38:20 AM
My second test was far better, I wonder if it was too cold for it to set up properly the first time.

I'll put it in and see how it goes. I have a feeling I'll be pulling it out and apart soon after anyways as the ring gear runout is .001" out of spec. For the time being I just want to get the axle in the car and pray that it's quiet.

I activates better when tight, the lack of air
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr