News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What the heck is the difference!

Started by jefferson, April 09, 2020, 05:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferson

Hey guys, so i own a 68 charger with 70 dash,bezel and interior, why? ive no idea, previous owner must of installed it, anyways, everytime i look at the inside of another 68-70 i keep thinking to myself, something is off about my 68, what the heck is it! i know it has a 70 dash in it but compared to other 70s it just seems off, is the dash from another chrysler car? i was told no,, it would not be possible, ive stared at pictures of mine and a mates 70 for ages and it has been bugging me as to why something is OFF about my dash! It just seems so basic, too far away, to large, gauges seem larger that everyone elses second gen charger, ive no idea, but i think ive finally found the issue. Ive posted a photo of my dash, on the left, BLUE next to my mates 70. First thing i noticed, am i missing all the chrome trimming around the gauges, speedo and tach? and why is my clock so large compared to his, also i think the pattern of my plating is different, am not to sure. This has been bugging me all day.

Both are 70 dashes, even tho i own a 68 lol.

https://imgur.com/a/2pu0Uq1

if someone can please upload image, much appreciated. 

Sorry for the average photo of mine, only photo i have on my phone atm and i cant go take one now as my charger is in the workshop locked away.

what the hell is going on with my dash! why does it feel so different to sit in my mates 70 compared to mine!

jefferson

found one more photo of my dash, sorry for the blurry photo

jefferson

This is mates 70 dash.

timmycharger

jefferson

Thanks mate, i know mine is not a 68 dash, its a 70 dash, but it does not look the same as my mates 70s dash, or any other second gen charger dash ive looked at either!
it just seems off! Still trying to figure out whats going on with mine, i have no problem with it being a 70 dash, but i do have a problem with it not looking like a proper 70 dash lol

Mine just seems off for some reason,, trying to figure it out. When i hopped in my mates 70 today im thinking, something is not right with mine, why does my dash not look or seem to be like his, what is going on!

timmycharger

Ahh gotcha! It is early still and I read your post wrong!

jefferson

Quote from: timmycharger on April 09, 2020, 06:28:37 AM
Ahh gotcha! It is early still and I read your post wrong!

haha all good mate, ive been literally trying to compare my dash to other 68-70 dashes for the past few hours now and been trying to figure out why when i jump into my charger it does not feel as FACTORY as when i was in my mates charger, and that would be because of the dash and mine is not right, somehow.

Mytur Binsdirti

You're just finding this out now...after you purchased the car?    :shruggy:

jefferson

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 09, 2020, 06:35:56 AM
You're just finding this out now...after you purchased the car?    :shruggy:

lol yep pretty much , go figure hey.

Lol and still, even if i did know, it would not have stopped me from buying the car, True RT car, great price, 0 rust, yer 70 stuff inside, looks good, sounds great and i love her!

Anways, mytur, care to input on the topic at bay?

jefferson

My tur, besides stating the obvious that it is a 70 dash inside of a 68 charger. IF you please, list out the faults and why i feel it is different to all the other charger dashes, can list in dot points, lol .

richRTSE

It's hard to tell from the poor pictures, but it almost looks like someone repainted the dash black, and all the chrome accents are now black...?

jefferson

im thinking its either the missing chrome around all the gauges/switches or the chrome has been painted black, ill have to check,
if the chrome is missing, can you buy all the chrome to go around the gauges and does it just crimp in or does the faceplate have to come out and put in from behind?
if you cant buy the chrome by itself, i assume ill have to buy a new faceplate with the chrome already attached?
cheers

DAY CLONA

Yes both 70 Dashes, your's got the $1.98 blackout spray can finish, you have a TicTacTock set up, your mates car has the standard clock only set up...the bigger question is, is your 68 Charger outfitted with a 70 dash/steering wheel, or is your 68 really a 70, wearing 68 sheetmetal?

jefferson

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 09, 2020, 08:09:52 AM
Yes both 70 Dashes, your's got the $1.98 blackout spray can finish, you have a TicTacTock set up, your mates car has the standard clock only set up...the bigger question is, is your 68 Charger outfitted with a 70 dash/steering wheel, or is your 68 really a 70, wearing 68 sheetmetal?

Nope, been down that path, true 68 car, Got the vin, Fender tag,, paperwork to confirm its a 68, Not one bit of sheetmetal replaced either, no signs of any chopping/ welding/ changing tail panel, grill etc. Unless they did a damn good job at it and made it impossible to tell it was a 70 now made into a 68. And unless the vin and fender tags are fake. How could you tell if it was a 70 converted into a 68? The sheetmetal all looks original, the tail lights all look original, and there is not 1 sign of the car having any mods done to it bodywise, ive been under the car dozens of times with a fine tooth brush and a magnifying glass.
SO im sure its safe to say its just been fitted with a 70 dash, also the woodgrain steering wheel was an option in 68 too. Seen plenty of 68s with the same steering wheel mine has, curious as to why you are calling it a 70 steering wheel?

70 sublime

Where is your key go ?
70 is in the locking steering column and 68 69 is in the dash

Do you have 4 way flashers ?
70 is on steering column and 68 69 should have another switch for it on the dash
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

birdsandbees

He owns an ashtray and you don't ? As already pointed out his is A/C and yours is not and you appear to be missing the chrome highlights around all the gauges.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

ACUDANUT

Don't feel bad My 70 Charger has a complete 68 Interior, including dash.  I bought it back in 85, no internet back then.  I did not know the difference.  Oh well, at least it is not green. !!

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 09, 2020, 10:56:22 AM
Don't feel bad My 70 Charger has a complete 68 Interior, including dash.  I bought it back in 85, no internet back then.  I did not know the difference.  Oh well, at least it is not green. !!

LOL... neither a 73 or 74 ? LOL

maybe you can interchange interiors!!!!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

BTW not just a 70 cluster but also front buckets. Steering column seems to be 68/69 from the distance?¿?¿?¿? , what it means you don't have emergency flashers anywhere ?.

and you got a smaller clock because your car got a tic-toc-tach, while your mates is a regular clock.

and 68 consoles gets a ribbed surface and your one is smooth with woodgrain finish
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

jefferson

My key goes in the dash lol

Wonder why its been spray painted/ missing the chrome trim
Let alone why it has a 70 dash
:shruggy:

WHITE AND RED 69

Definitely repainted and they painted over the trim and the lettering. Also looks like your gauges are faded compared to the other one. You'll have to get them replated or get a new one to make it look factory.

Sometimes these cars are pieced together. They all the same size so people throw them in any year to get it on the road.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

ACUDANUT

Quote from: jefferson on April 09, 2020, 07:46:00 PM
My key goes in the dash lol

Wonder why its been spray painted/ missing the chrome trim
Let alone why it has a 70 dash
:shruggy:

If your key goes into the dash, Then it's a 68-69 dash, Not a 70.
My 70 interior is all 68. Dash, seats, doors ect.
Nacho, my brother.. Hope all is well!!

jefferson

Thanks fellas,
i assume i dont have to replace the whole dash and gauges, i can just replace the plating with a brand new one that has all the chrome and writing already on it?
i assume it just unscrews and i can screw a new one in place over the dash and switches?
cheers

VegasCharger

Quote from: jefferson on April 10, 2020, 12:46:48 AM
Thanks fellas,
i assume i dont have to replace the whole dash and gauges, i can just replace the plating with a brand new one that has all the chrome and writing already on it?
i assume it just unscrews and i can screw a new one in place over the dash and switches?
cheers

I'll weigh in here. You're on track by saying to get a new plating. By plating I assume you mean a new gauge cluster bezel. As mentioned '68 (and 68 only) had the ribbed design dash bezels (gauge cluster, radio and glove box). Best of the 2nd gens BTW. Anyway remove your cluster bezel (9 screws) and replace with a 68 bezel. You're going to need a 4 way flasher switch. It's positioned just right of the brake warning light. Hopefully the 68 dash harness is still there and not switched over with a 70 harness. Also if your radio bezel and glove box bezel are pebble grain, then you'll need the 68 ribbed ones to match your gauge cluster bezel. Might as well buy a whole new set if that's the case. If no A/C then you'll need the bezel set that includes the 2 end cap plates that are positioned where the AC vents would be IF it were AC.

And if you're going to get serious, eventually switch out the 70 buckets with 68 ones. You should be able to get at least even value if not more for the 70 seats to fund the 68 seats. If it were me, I would remove anything 70 related on your 68 and replace with 68 stuff.

Just my 2¢.

:cheers: