News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Photo Wanted - Gas Filter & Gas Pump Area

Started by 4402tuff4u, May 17, 2006, 08:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4402tuff4u

Gentlemen, I'm working myself up both fuel lines coming from the tank, putting things back together and was wondering how the hose/fuel line set up is suppose to look (out of factory look) for a 68 Charger; i.e the type of clamp it suppose to have either crimped clamps or pressure ring clamps or pressure clamps. Also how is the actual fuel filter set up suppose to look? What height is the filter suppose to be at? and does anyone have a part number for the filter itself ? I got one from Purolator, but the little pipes coming out of the filter are abit fatter in diameter than original. The service shop manual lacks abit in detail to answer my questions. When I got my Charger, the filter was a hemi orange color - still have it for souvenir :icon_smile_big:, I think I can see a Mopar logo, but it's faded and the filter was very high near the carb with long hoses that I'm sure is not correct! Any help would be great! You know what they say about a photograph. Thanks guys.

(8WHEELER where are u? :icon_smile_big:)

"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mike, on your R/T car you should have a vapor seperator.

The hoses should have crimp type clamps (dont mind my half crimp, half worm clamp set up)

Heres a little line size montage I made up a while back
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

Awesome picture Chris!! Thanks allot!! That's exactly what I was looking for. I have the new hoses and a bag of crimp type clamps of three different sizes. I still have to find a vapor separator that matches the original diameter pipes coming out of it. NAPA auto parts here I come... I have two pipes coming out of the bottom and one out of the top from the Purolator vapor separator I have, but the pipes are bigger in diameter than the 1/4" and the 5/16" dia. I called Herbee Dodge out here in West Islip to see if they had a Mopar vapor separator but they did'nt. Herbee Dodge still carries some parts for our Chargers. I see that the vapor separator should be a little higher than the fuel pump - actually the height of the separator will be determined by the pre-bent hard fuel line coming from the carb, but I was not sure if the fuel line from the carb had to be trimmed to fit. The workshop manual shows the vapor separator around the same height as your photo, but I thought it was for pipe/hose route clarity purposes. Your photo confirms that! Thanks again! :boogie: :2thumbs:

P.S If you want to replace your clamps, I have extra crimp clamps that I can mail you or give them to you in Carlisle.

Shakey

I saved that photo months ago and it finally came in handy last weekend.

The fuel vapor seperator is available from Year One (I paid $50 something USD), I think Bill Allphin might carry them also.

As you can see, my fuel pump is a bit different but we got it all ironed out.

I did find an NOS fuel vapor seperator, $575.00 USD.   :scared:

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Shakey on May 18, 2006, 07:11:21 AM

The fuel vapor seperator is available from Year One (I paid $50 something USD), I think Bill Allphin might carry them also.

Thanks Shakey! I see that the vapor separator has a little tab so that you can secure it with the fuel pump bolt - and that will also dictate the proper height. The tab was missing on the vapor separator that came with my Charger. I found prices ranging from $ 57.00 - $ 70.00 in the net. But $ 575.00!!! I think they placed the decimal point in the wrong column. I have a few other places I have to check out for pricing. I think Jacks Auto Parts is the lowest so far @ $ 56.95.  Thanks again bud, it sure helps me!  :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Bill Allphin also carries them www.amhightechauto.com  (vapor seperators)

The only difference there is that Mike (Shakey) is running the stock type pump.  I have the Hemi style Carter pump on mine

Shakey, wheres your return line??
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on May 18, 2006, 08:48:54 AM

Shakey, wheres your return line??

The line from the tank still has the cap on it, hangin' there, waiting to be hooked up.  Some fool ran it on the other side of the brake line when installing them.   :sleep:

When we get to the front suspension, all will be ok.

BTW, the fool is not my Father-In-Law.

Nacho-RT74

it looks AMHIGHTECHAUTO is becoming on a lot popular dealer on these days :D
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 18, 2006, 01:09:25 PM

This is true.   When you do right by just one person, and that person tells 2 others and so on.....such is the way of good business.   In this day & age, especially with the internet, you can either be a super star or black listed in a heart beat.
Bill has continuously given me & others I have turned him onto great service and no BS.
I will continue to support good business where it is warranted

The opposite applies as well.....do wrong by one person & your dead.  It would take a long time to recoup from a hit like that
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TylerCharger69

Very descriptive photo!!!   If someone messes up after seeing this...they need glasses!!!! :coolgleamA:

gtx6970

I will do my absolute best to earn your trust, Then and only then your business.
ps- there are 2 different version of the same vapor seperators floating around out there, one without the markings and another with,,, like it's supposed to.   I only carry the one with the correct markings.

Bobs69

So on the underside where is the second leg on the seperator going?, I believe thats the pump I have.......
Why did R/T cars have them and not the others?  I was at the wreckers the other day and noticed this setup on a early 80's ram with a small block.

Shakey

Quote from: Bobs69 on July 30, 2008, 08:04:27 PM

The fuel vapor separator is available from Year One (I paid $50 something USD), I think Bill Allphin might carry them also.

I did find an NOS fuel vapor separator, $575.00 USD.   :scared:

So on the underside where is the second leg on the seperator going?, I believe thats the pump I have.......
Why did R/T cars have them and not the others?  I was at the wreckers the other day and noticed this setup on a early 80's ram with a small block.

I am sorry but I don't know what you mean by the second leg of the separator.  The return line was to eliminate vapor lock and from what I recall it was only on the big block cars.  I am sure that someone with more knowledge can provide a better answer.

resq302

Quote from: gtx6970 on May 18, 2006, 10:21:28 PM

I will do my absolute best to earn your trust, Then and only then your business.
ps- there are 2 different version of the same vapor seperators floating around out there, one without the markings and another with,,, like it's supposed to.   I only carry the one with the correct markings.

And this is why I will always be your customer Bill! :yesnod: :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Bobs69 on July 30, 2008, 08:04:27 PM

On my original pic the return line is connected....its a bit dark so you cant see it.

In Shaky's pic his return line is not hooked up to the bottom of the seperator.

In this pic you can clearly see all the hook ups (with the correct KV hoses & crimp-clamps)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Bobs69

Nice picture thanks very much.  I'll get one of these units a see what's what.  So fuel coming out of the pump to the centre leg on the underside and vapour is returning to the tank from other one?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Correct....they are different size hose nipples as well...

1/4" for the return line &  5/16" for the inlet & outlet to the carb
Chris' '69 Charger R/T