News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Driving during "lock-down"

Started by lloyd3, March 26, 2020, 08:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Quote from: mel t on April 10, 2020, 12:03:46 PM
For once you are right Bob, LOL.
Yes, the correct CDC estimates for the 2017/2018 flu season were 61000.
Thanks for the correction.

I'm wasn't trying to 'correct' you specifically, that's the number I've been hearing all over for quite some time ?
I believed it and probably repeated it a few times myself !
I've even found "quotes" from the new head of the CDC "stanfield" saying that 80,000 number.... but then when I researched the SITE where he was reported saying that 80,000 quote the site itself was a front for nothing ?

I just believe there is a TON of mis-information out there around this entire Pandemic.... I'm NOT skeptical of it's seriousness, but I am about 'where' the information itself is coming from !

All I know, is THAT is it at my Shop.... anything CHINA originated will be surcharged from now on!
I'll even sell U.S./Canadian/NAFTA Made Parts at 'cost' if I have to..... try and stimulate indigenous manufacturing.... I've just had it with anything Chinese and that's my right !
I will spend the time.... find out where stuff comes from and I will actively begin trying to reduce/target sales where-ever I can !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Nacho-RT74

thinking on US population is around 350 millions, and I said 1 or 2 relateds to each one of us can take a regular flu ( you can live that dairy, I don't need to prove that ), that takes a contagious rate of 50 millions or so.... my estimations weren't so bad

61K deaths takes to around 0.1356 % of the 45 millions of flu contagious JUST ESTIMATED.

now think on the world "average" rate of 2 to 3% ( not the Spain or Italy rate ) of deaths by ppll infected with the Covid19. Then the same 45 millions ESTIMATED getting it without any lockdown as the regular flu goes and thinking the contagious ways are the same between both. Mmm... it takes to 900K to 1.3 millions of deaths.

Numbers are there.

without a vacinne, the lockdown is the only solution to save the more lifes as posible. Is a shame, is a torture, will hit economy, everything of that is true, but will you allow to lose lives over an economy what can be saved later and won't really kill anybody ?

to each own.

NOTE: these numbers will become on a personal tragedy if reachs your family. Then the economy won't be important anymore. Think on that!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Challenger340

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 10, 2020, 12:24:48 PM
thinking on US population is around 350 millions, and I said 1 or 2 relateds to each one of us can take a regular flu ( you can live that dairy, doesn't need to prove that ), that takes a contagious rate of 50 millions or so.... my estimations weren't so bad

61K deaths takes to around 0.1356 % of the 45 millions of flu contagious JUST ESTIMATED.

now think on the "average" of 2 to 3% ( not the Spain or Italy rate ) of deaths contagioused by the Covid. Then the same 45 millions getting it without any lockdown as the regular flu goes. Mmm... it takes to 900K to 1.3 millions.

Numbers are there.

without a vacinne, the lockdown is the only solution to save the more lifes as posible. Is a shame, is a torture, will hit economy, everything of that is true, but will you allow to lost lives over an economy what can be saved later and won't really kill anybody ?

to each own.

Just me.... and you can start the "theme" from the Twilight Zone in the background as I say this....
to me this is now an economic war !
Buy North American made FIRST if at all possible !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

mel t

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 10, 2020, 12:23:45 PM
Quote from: mel t on April 10, 2020, 12:03:46 PM
For once you are right Bob, LOL.
Yes, the correct CDC estimates for the 2017/2018 flu season were 61000.
Thanks for the correction.

I'm wasn't trying to 'correct' you specifically, that's the number I've been hearing all over for quite some time ?
I believed it and probably repeated it a few times myself !
I've even found "quotes" from the new head of the CDC "stanfield" saying that 80,000 number.... but then when I researched the SITE where he was reported saying that 80,000 quote the site itself was a front for nothing ?

I just believe there is a TON of mis-information out there around this entire Pandemic.... I'm NOT skeptical of it's seriousness, but I am about 'where' the information itself is coming from !

All I know, is THAT is it at my Shop.... anything CHINA originated will be surcharged from now on!
I'll even sell U.S./Canadian/NAFTA Made Parts at 'cost' if I have to..... try and stimulate indigenous manufacturing.... I've just had it with anything Chinese and that's my right !
I will spend the time.... find out where stuff comes from and I will actively begin trying to reduce/target sales where-ever I can !
:2thumbs:

mel t

Trying to buy stuff (not made in China) is hard to do. I tried it 30 years ago and failed. I will try again.
I will never forget the day I found a made in China sticker on Snap On tool. :eek2:

Nacho-RT74

as usual I edited my last reply a bit while you quoted me, but doesn't change the content. I was just trying to get it better posted.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

mel t

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: mel t on April 10, 2020, 12:38:11 PM
Trying to buy stuff (not made in China) is hard to do. I tried it 30 years ago and failed. I will try again.
I will never forget the day I found a made in China sticker on Snap On tool. :eek2:

On a now more less global world that could be fairly imposible. And I say more less global because we are kinda globalized for the goods but it seems not so much for the bads.

the deal is, we are all saling the same sea, but some ppl got a big boat, some got an airboat, some got lifesavers... but some just can swim and maybe don't know swim

darbgnik

Quote from: lloyd3 on April 09, 2020, 11:54:14 PM
To be fair, he's only saying what alot of our media types are saying and have been for a long time now.  Call it "fake news", call it whatever you want but it is probably very confusing for foreigners listening to the mainstream news emanating from this country. 

Sorry to linger on this aspect of this thread, but I feel I have a foreigner's insight:

But it is very true, that the news, and "facts" that leave your country by way of the main stream media are quite biased. I'm Canadian, and don't watch TV, so my views differ greatly from my family members who watch a lot of TV. Think of any of the late night hosts: Jimmy Kimmel, Trevor Noah, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and on and on.... If you are a foreigner, you don't have to watch the news to get a slanted view of US politics..... late night comedians do it every day, and pass it off as comedy.....

I have many American friends, and get most of my "news" online. And in this day and age, I fact check, even the main stream sources. Also, before reading an article, I scan to see if it's an opinion piece, which could very well be translated as a hit piece. I try my best to remind them family and friends that what they "know" may not be the truth.

I guess my point is, most people, myself included, shouldn't assume we know the US situation better than it's residents do.  ::)  But that doesn't stop them from doing exactly that......

And BTW, some of us Canadians don't assume our healthcare is better, because it's certainly not free. Just compare my taxes to the US equivalent..... As a part of socialized medicine, I don't get what I pay for. Others get that. I get what's left over. And the older I get, the more obvious that will become.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Birdflu

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 10, 2020, 11:54:38 AM
Quote from: mel t on April 08, 2020, 10:18:37 AM
So in the 2017/2018 flu season, the U.S. lost over 80,000 citizens!...(or at least we believe they were citizens)! If the news media had a counter in the lower right hand corner of the tv screen back then, we would have had a pandemic back then. Heck, let's have a rolling counter for heart disease, various forms of cancer, car wrecks, opioid abuse...you get the picture! We could/would have the entire country running for a sealed rubber room! Does Corvid-19 present itself as an aggressive 'take no prisoners' form of highly contagious flu? Absolutely, but let's get realistic with how it's being covered by the media. Remember the 2017/2018 season being talked about every minute of every hour of every day back then...I don't!
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :cheers:

Can someone direct me to where 80,000 Citizens in the U.S. succumbed during the 2017/2018 Flu Season ?
I'm just looking for context around comparisons to the 2017/2018 Flu season and this COVID-19 pandemic ?

I can't seem to find any credible scientific evidence supporting that 80,000 claim, my bad at searches I guess ? so just looking for a link ?
All I could find is this.... and the CDC does NOT support that 80,0000 anywhere I can find ?
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2017-2018.htm

with...
the only actual CDC mortality data I could find did support 61,000 deaths... but within an estimated 45 Million flu illnesses ?
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

just say'in....
it would appear that any comparison of the 2017/2018 Flue Season to the current COVID-19 Virus in terms of Virulence/Contagious or Fatality rates may be absolutely idiotic at best ?
Look, no offense to anyone  intended....
I'm just trying to do my own 'comparison' if you will ? because I've heard more than a few times comparison claims made between the 2017/18 Flu and this COVID ?
But it just doesn't seem to be anything but a FAKE claim ?

We've been notified here in Canada that this pandemics effects will continue right through May into June, lowering through Jul/August and the 2nd wave to begin September ?
No matter,
I can still drive my Charger being very rural not a problem.

[/quote]

My response...

Here's the link I ran across that apparently substantiates the 80K figure, but considering the source, it could be fake news. Article was written long after the 2017/2018 flu season so you'd think they (CDC) would have had time to calculate correctly. And to set the record straight, I wasn't comparing the 2017/2018 'regular' flu to COVID-19, I was comparing how the media is handling the current loss of life to the loss of life we experienced in 2017/2018.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/health/flu-deaths-2017--2018-cdc-bn/index.html

mel t

Quote from: darbgnik on April 10, 2020, 04:47:55 PM
To be fair, he's only saying what alot of our media types are saying and have been for a long time now.  Call it "fake news", call it whatever you want but it is probably very confusing for foreigners listening to the mainstream news emanating from this country. 

Sorry to linger on this aspect of this thread, but I feel I have a foreigner's insight:

But it is very true, that the news, and "facts" that leave your country by way of the main stream media are quite biased. I'm Canadian, and don't watch TV, so my views differ greatly from my family members who watch a lot of TV. Think of any of the late night hosts: Jimmy Kimmel, Trevor Noah, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and on and on.... If you are a foreigner, you don't have to watch the news to get a slanted view of US politics..... late night comedians do it every day, and pass it off as comedy.....

I have many American friends, and get most of my "news" online. And in this day and age, I fact check, even the main stream sources. Also, before reading an article, I scan to see if it's an opinion piece, which could very well be translated as a hit piece. I try my best to remind them family and friends that what they "know" may not be the truth.

I guess my point is, most people, myself included, shouldn't assume we know the US situation better than it's residents do.  ::)  But that doesn't stop them from doing exactly that......

And BTW, some of us Canadians don't assume our healthcare is better, because it's certainly not free. Just compare my taxes to the US equivalent..... As a part of socialized medicine, I don't get what I pay for. Others get that. I get what's left over. And the older I get, the more obvious that will become.
Thank you for those comments. :2thumbs:
May I add that we need to wait 3 days after a story comes out before making any judgments on its viability.
I tell the wife all the time it's all about what they are selling. (sponsors) Every see the movie Idiocracy? we are living it!

GreenMachine

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 10, 2020, 05:22:10 AM
By the way... and I allways will repeat that... do you know America goes from Canada up to Argentina/Chile? And the continent name comes from Americo Vespucio an Italian explorer who got the conclusion this was a new continent and not just islands from or part of Asia? This was after explore Venezuela and Brazil coasts, not even USA. I know is the tradition to call USA as America which cames from the UK domination around the world and then on the industrial revolution, but just pointing out that.

I hope someday this would change to make honor the truth and name everything correctly.

United States of America, American makes the most sense, because it's literally in our name. What do you suggest we call ourselves?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

MoparMike68

Quote from: darbgnik on April 10, 2020, 04:47:55 PM

Well said it seems like you have a good amount of knowledge as to life in America,unfortunately 90% of the
Media here are owned by 4 conglomerates that lean one way therefore many are misinformed,back in 1984 there
Were 50.As for health care I'm amazed That some believe it will be free,you know as well as I that's just never the case,taxes will go up.Our government is funded by the people and their not good stewards of our money.
Also this being a charger website I'm adding that if I'm taxed more that's less car money (disclaimer)   :RantExplode:

XH29N0G

Since I was a kid I always said I came from the US or am a US citizen, but that was because I was told by my parents that american was ambiguous if you were not in the US.  As an adult, I have seen a shift to american from people in some of those countries.  I think I spent almost two decades of my life living outside the US.   
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: MoparMike68 on April 10, 2020, 08:36:46 PM
As for health care I'm amazed That some believe it will be free,you know as well as I that's just never the case,taxes will go up.Our government is funded by the people and their not good stewards of our money.

Regarding  government run health care; do you want the same inept boobs, with all their wrong predictions, be the ones who supply you with doctors?

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: XH29N0G on April 10, 2020, 08:45:19 PM
Since I was a kid I always said I came from the US or am a US citizen, but that was because I was told by my parents that american was ambiguous if you were not in the US.  As an adult, I have seen a shift to american from people in some of those countries.  I think I spent almost two decades of my life living outside the US.   

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 10, 2020, 07:46:59 PM
By the way... and I allways will repeat that... do you know America goes from Canada up to Argentina/Chile? And the continent name comes from Americo Vespucio an Italian explorer who got the conclusion this was a new continent and not just islands from or part of Asia? This was after explore Venezuela and Brazil coasts, not even USA. I know is the tradition to call USA as America which cames from the UK domination around the world and then on the industrial revolution, but just pointing out that.

I hope someday this would change to make honor the truth and name everything correctly.

United States of America, American makes the most sense, because it's literally in our name. What do you suggest we call ourselves?

In Spanish we say "estadounidense".

MoparMike68

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 11, 2020, 03:23:49 AM
Quote from: MoparMike68 on April 10, 2020, 08:36:46 PM
As for health care I'm amazed That some believe it will be free,you know as well as I that's just never the case,taxes will go up.Our government is funded by the people and their not good stewards of our money.

Regarding  government run health care; do you want the same inept boobs, with all their wrong predictions, be the ones who supply you with doctors?
Absolutely not,Your right,Dont misunderstand that quote,less Government, lower taxes and more funding for my car  :cheers:

Mike DC

QuoteRegarding  government run health care; do you want the same inept boobs, with all their wrong predictions, be the ones who supply you with doctors?

Did the private sector predict the outbreak better?  I must have missed that.     

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 11, 2020, 07:34:15 AM

QuoteRegarding  government run health care; do you want the same inept boobs, with all their wrong predictions, be the ones who supply you with doctors?

Did the private sector predict the outbreak better?  I must have missed that.    

That's not the private sector's duty, but if you know of a privately funded organization that is the equivalent of the CDC, which monitors worldwide infections and notifies the President, please name it. I'm all ears.

XH29N0G

I am actually one would like a govt run healthcare.  I know a lot of people who would as well.  I've been treated in other countries with it and it was much simpler.  Yes it didn't have the choice, but heard my parent's doctor was going to concierge service.  The option is to pay an additional 2500 a year per person on top of what the insurance pays.  This isn't a big deal, but it could be if the money wasn't there.  Thank goodness our taxes were reduced to accommodate the cost of the things we need to buy to keep healthy and in good form. :eek2:  We have ways in to doctors as well that others cannot get.  Just the way the system in the US works.  You need to connections and the $$.  Yes it is great if you have those.  For part of my life we didn't have it and I looked at the benefits we got
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

BLK 68 R/T

I say the hell with any lockdown bs. Go out and drive and do what you want it's a free damn country!

GreenMachine

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 11, 2020, 04:23:54 AM
Quote from: XH29N0G on April 10, 2020, 08:45:19 PM

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 10, 2020, 07:46:59 PM

So English would translate to United Statesian?
No thanks
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

MoparMike68

Quote from: XH29N0G on April 11, 2020, 09:34:16 AM
I am actually one would like a govt run healthcare.  I know a lot of people who would as well.  I've been treated in other countries with it and it was much simpler.  Yes it didn't have the choice, but heard my parent's doctor was going to concierge service.  The option is to pay an additional 2500 a year per person on top of what the insurance pays.  This isn't a big deal, but it could be if the money wasn't there.  Thank goodness our taxes were reduced to accommodate the cost of the things we need to buy to keep healthy and in good form. :eek2:  We have ways in to doctors as well that others cannot get.  Just the way the system in the US works.  You need to connections and the $$.  Yes it is great if you have those.  For part of my life we didn't have it and I looked at the benefits we got
Be careful what you wish for,In my opinion,maybe some tweaking is needed with our system but I believe when
Doctors are all paid the same there's no incentive to be better then it's about production,look what happened to
The ACA a lot of insurers dropped out,there's that famous "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor"besides medacade is substandard care,social security is always going bankrupt
Or the parties blame each other that there going to take it away,and the post office we still get our mail but they
haven't made a profit in years which means they should be out of business instead they keep throwing money
at it,our money,it doesn't fix the problem.You have to remember the government doesn't make money we fund
It. :eek2: let me just say before this statement is dissected These are my opinions,not trying to preach  :violin:,and I sure don't want to further divide
Americans especially those of us with these Bad A*s Chargers.Be Safe!  :Twocents: :2thumbs:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 11, 2020, 10:48:23 AM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 11, 2020, 04:23:54 AM

So English would translate to United Statesian?
No thanks

Pretty much something like that.

Well, is not my fault the country's name LOL.

We can say in fact USA is the only country in the world without an actual country name but more like an institution  :shruggy:

EDITING: well UAE are something similar

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: MoparMike68 on April 11, 2020, 10:52:18 AM
Quote from: XH29N0G on April 11, 2020, 09:34:16 AM
Be careful what you wish for,In my opinion,maybe some tweaking is needed with our system but I believe when
Doctors are all paid the same there's no incentive to be better then it's about production,look what happened to
The ACA a lot of insurers dropped out,there's that famous "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor"besides medacade is substandard care,social security is always going bankrupt
Or the parties blame each other that there going to take it away,and the post office we still get our mail but they
haven't made a profit in years which means they should be out of business instead they keep throwing money
at it,our money,it doesn't fix the problem.You have to remember the government doesn't make money we fund
It. :eek2: let me just say before this statement is dissected These are my opinions,not trying to preach  :violin:,and I sure don't want to further divide
Americans especially those of us with these Bad A*s Chargers.Be Safe!  :Twocents: :2thumbs:

The public sanitary system correctly managed really works. And is one of the reasons to live in Europe in quite peace about that.

On private healthcare it happens the same. Lot of fails and stuff. There is not a perfect system. But IMHO I think could be great to have the option between public and private system for you. Sure the public system should be paid for everyone because everyone can use it, but if you still want to reach the private, then pay for it. Which is what is already available in most of the countries where the public sanitary system is available.

Of course is just my opinion, not a critic.