News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AMD - List of MoPar parts being discontinued. BUY IT NOW.....

Started by odcics2, February 25, 2020, 02:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Not great news for any of us and although I can see a tougher business model for the early 60's B-bodies and maybe a little the A-body stuff, the thing I do find telling is the amount of E-body stuff that is getting the axe. 

AKcharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 27, 2020, 02:39:00 AM

QuoteI didn't expect this to happen so soon, I thought with the economy demand would be high. Perhaps the muscle car supply/demand has started to shift.

The economy is not doing shit for most of the public.  It hasn't for decades.  

Well SOMETHING is causing sales and prices to go through the roof...but if you're right then that's the obvious answer and the end of the hobby is in sight

Kern Dog

If you are surrounded by losers, then you'll have that attitude.
I am surrounded by blue collar winners. We are doing quite well.

Mike DC

QuoteIf you are surrounded by losers, then you'll have that attitude.

If your whole economic class is treading water in place, it's still normal for you & your neighbors to individually make progress - you're all growing older by the year.      

Personal opinions and neighbors  <  Long term data and math.  

As a group, most of the US public has been barely keeping their heads above water for the last 40 years.  "The Economy" has been booming almost the entire time. 

AKcharger

Well back to AMD....I guess the only take away is get your (somewhat ill-fitting) parts now if you need them

Mike DC

I agree it's concerning that we are losing some of those B & E parts. 

I expect 62-65 stuff to get discontinued.  But not stuff like full '68 Coronet quarters or Challenger hoods & valances. 

chargervert

While some can complain about the "ill fitting parts",most of what AMD offers fits quite well,or can be made to fit with some modification. The parts will only be as good as what they are templated from, and some are more than 50 year old original parts that had been tweaked or modified over the years. My friends and I have test fitted many parts for AMD, and offered up our nice used or NOS parts to be templated to make some of these parts available for Mopar people. AMD has gone to great lengths on the parts we test fitted for them, sometimes retooling a part as many as 15 times to insure proper fitment. Anyone who thinks that they can do what AMD has done for the Mopar world, better and cheaper, best get to it,and we will buy your products!  Until that happens, be glad that AMD stepped up for us and made all the parts they have for our cars. Thousands of Mopars that would have been scrapped or deemed parts cars can now be restored thanks to AMD.  The Mopar parts line as a whole has not covered the tooling costs overall, and they make these parts because they are Mopar guys, and they saw that there was no decent aftermarket sheetmetal parts for Mopars. The profit that they make from selling the Ford and GM parts has afforded them the luxury to make parts for our Mopars. I personally have been building Mopars for 40 plus years, and I have a very clear memory of when there were no aftermarket parts for our cars, while Mustangs and Camaros could be built entirely out of catalogs. It was tough to complete against them at shows back then with hand made patched up cars with pitted up trim,while they had nice straight sheetmetal and shiney new chrome trinkets!  We should not forget the vendors who have stepped up for our hobby, and be glad that what we have needed is now readily available at the click of a mouse! Many times I remember scouring swap meets hoping to find that illusive part,and paying insane money for it too. My advice to other enthusiasts thst need aftermarket parts that are available now, is to get them while you can, because once they stop being reproduced, and the supply dries up we will be paying NOS level prices for what can be bought right now!

Mike DC

At the bare minimum, I really hope they hold onto the 3D files of all their tooling (if they can't keep the tooling itself).  There may come a time when production costs have dropped and somebody else wants to make another batch of this stuff.  

odcics2

QuoteI didn't expect this to happen so soon, I thought with the economy demand would be high. Perhaps the muscle car supply/demand has started to shift.

STILL waiting for the trickle down economics to trickle my way....   :shruggy:      :lol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

69bronzeT5

Hey all;

I'm working on an article for the magazine regarding this right now. I spoke to AMD and they assured me they are not dropping Mopar. They are simply dropping slow-moving items and doubled items and focusing on more in-demand items. As well as they are working on releasing a whole bunch of new Mopar stuff very shortly. I will share the full press release when it's ready to go.  :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 29, 2020, 06:14:22 AM

If your whole economic class is treading water in place, it's still normal for you & your neighbors to individually make progress - you're all growing older by the year.      

As a group, most of the US public has been barely keeping their heads above water for the last 40 years.  "The Economy" has been booming almost the entire time. 

Do you always write in riddles? Make your point and quit the dancing.

Mike DC

QuoteDo you always write in riddles? Make your point and quit the dancing.

I'm not intentionally trying to be cryptic.  

People normally move up in their careers and gradually make/save more money as they get older.  You can't compare the economy over time by looking at the same person in 2000 versus 2020.  The age factor has to be corrected for.  There are other factors at play too but that's a big obvious one.  My point is that watching your neighbors gradually make more money over time, does not show that the whole economy has improved.  Not by itself.

When the modern US economy gets better, Mr. Burns gets richer and Homer Simpson does not.  20-30 years ago it was being argued and debated.  Now it's just an indisputable fact.  US productivity has grown for 40 years and the ruling class (billionaires) has collected most of the winnings.  

AMD's big sheetmetal market is not Mr. Burns.  It's Homer Simpson.  

Ghoste

Most of the world doesnt have Homer and Mr Burns though so I will count my blessing that I live in North America where I might not have advanced economically as I'm supposed to but I have a four bedroom house and two cars.  Not to mention a ready supply of food, water, electricity and a reasonable expectation that I wont wake up tomorrow with a new warlord in the village.

Mike DC

QuoteMost of the world doesnt have Homer and Mr Burns though so I will count my blessing that I live in North America where I might not have advanced economically as I'm supposed to but I have a four bedroom house and two cars.  Not to mention a ready supply of food, water, electricity and a reasonable expectation that I wont wake up tomorrow with a new warlord in the village.

I'll drink to that, in the big picture.   :cheers:

odcics2

Years ago, there was a bunch of teenage girls having a huge yard sale to raise money
for a trip to Africa, to help the less fortunate.   

I said, "Why not drive down to Detroit and help the homeless there?"   

"You'd save time, the price of airfare and it's safer!"   

The looks on their faces were priceless.       
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

AKcharger

- Thanks 69 Bronze for the update...encouraging
- ChargerVert I agree, I'll be the 1st to vent about Crap parts but from what I've seen/Heard AMD has given it an honest effort to make a good part

70B5Cuda

Quote from: odcics2 on February 29, 2020, 01:42:07 PM

STILL waiting for the trickle down economics to trickle my way....   :shruggy:      :lol:

I'd say that it certainly has reached you (and anyone else in the B/E Mopar market). There are so many people willing to buy expensive projects and used parts. It may be a challenge to find the most effective way to reach those buyers currently but the muscle car market has been going strong for quite some time. We see it every day in finished cars/project/parts sales. Buying/restoring a second get charger is a luxury item anymore.
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

Kern Dog

Quote from: odcics2 on March 02, 2020, 09:28:59 AM
Years ago, there was a bunch of teenage girls having a huge yard sale to raise money
for a trip to Africa, to help the less fortunate.   

I said, "Why not drive down to Detroit and help the homeless there?"   

"You'd save time, the price of airfare and it's safer!"   

The looks on their faces were priceless.       
That is some funny shit.
I am doing better financially than I ever have. Unemployment rates are lower than ever. Seems pretty good with me, why change horses when the one you have is doing well? Everyone else running for the job is a complete jackass !

Montclaire

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 01, 2020, 09:14:02 PM
Hey all;

I'm working on an article for the magazine regarding this right now. I spoke to AMD and they assured me they are not dropping Mopar. They are simply dropping slow-moving items and doubled items and focusing on more in-demand items. As well as they are working on releasing a whole bunch of new Mopar stuff very shortly. I will share the full press release when it's ready to go.  :cheers:

I talked with one of their reps today.  He said that for a lot of what's on the disco'd list, they have quite a bit of stock still on hand and will be keeping the tooling so future stampings are not out of the question.  I know you probably can't spill the beans, but should I hold off on buying the 73/74 Charger tabco skins until after the article comes out?  I could really use full OE quarters. 

F8-4life

What about all theclever people tjat are quick to talk smack and shut down rough project cars, saying its a waste of time, financial suicide etc why would anybody pay more then a grand etc.. well this is the partial result of that type of attitude in the hobby.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Montclaire on March 02, 2020, 08:59:20 PM
Hey all;

I talked with one of their reps today.  He said that for a lot of what's on the disco'd list, they have quite a bit of stock still on hand and will be keeping the tooling so future stampings are not out of the question.  I know you probably can't spill the beans, but should I hold off on buying the 73/74 Charger tabco skins until after the article comes out?  I could really use full OE quarters. 

I've been told they will be releasing a bunch of new 1973-1974 Charger parts very soon.  I have not been told exactly what though but I'd assume quarters would be at the top of the list.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Montclaire

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 02, 2020, 09:36:19 PM
Quote from: Montclaire on March 02, 2020, 08:59:20 PM
Hey all;

I've been told they will be releasing a bunch of new 1973-1974 Charger parts very soon.  I have not been told exactly what though but I'd assume quarters would be at the top of the list.

Praise Jesus. 

stripedelete

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 29, 2020, 06:14:22 AM

Great explanation.  I agree.
My question is this:   Are we simply returning to the economic situation we would have been in 75 years ago, had my dad and his buddies not leveled thier global industrial competition( and bankrupted Great Britain in the process) as  senior class trip?  Is "today" what capitalism really looks like?

Montclaire

You won't see the 'glory days' return until we are back on the gold standard.  Things are better right now than they have been in a long while but as long as the fed plays with the rates we'll never actually get ahead. 

Ghoste

Now that we base the dollar on oil I dont see the gold standard returning.  As we move to electric cars maybe it will be based on lithium and the Chinese RMB.