News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any Thoughts On This 69 ?

Started by JMF, February 17, 2020, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Chargen69

I've sold with streetside before, they are not the high end consigner that RK motors is, they'll pretty much take anything and sell it so long as they get their commission.  there was a 70 charger in charlotte NC that was a 20 footer they wanted 60k for when we listed a car with them

Challenger340

I've been looking at that one for awhile now ?
basically comparing it for valuation against our factory Black '69 R/T SE which is in FACT UN-restored and which we've contemplated selling.

All I can say IMO....
is that somebody is so f**king Full of Sh*t at Streetside Classics it ain't funny !

I can find so many things WRONG with that car compared to ours for originality-wise I could write a novel ?
Besides the Fender Tag being a repop, look at the damn Oil Pan for crissakes ? where's the original '402' Pan ?
IMO,
That Car is a full restoration/rebuild front to back.... and if it indeed is a 37,000 mile original ? then ours is a 40,000 mile original in better shape .... and still original.... NOT FAKED !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thats a sweet ride thats begging for Redline tires!!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

JMF

Please could you PM me details and pics of yours ? Thanks

Challenger340

Challenger340

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 17, 2020, 04:35:27 PM
Thats a sweet ride thats begging for Redline tires!!

It may "look" good.... but IMO, someone is telling a "tall one's" around it's history, that's a full resto/rebuild fakeroo !

Kern Dog

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 17, 2020, 04:33:47 PM
basically comparing it for valuation against our factory Black '69 R/T SE which is in FACT UN-restored and which we've contemplated selling.

All I can say IMO....
is that somebody is so f**king Full of Sh*t at Streetside Classics it ain't funny !

I can find so many things WRONG with that car compared to ours for originality-wise I could write a novel ?
Besides the Fender Tag being a repop, look at the damn Oil Pan for crissakes ? where's the original '402' Pan ?
IMO,
That Car is a full restoration/rebuild front to back.... and if it indeed is a 37,000 mile original ? then ours is a 40,000 mile original in better shape .... and still original.... NOT FAKED !

You are a highly opinionated guy and posts like this are clear evidence of that.
Nowhere in the sales description does it state that the car is ALL original. In fact, I read that it has been repainted, the interior had been redone but that it had the original engine and transmission.
Your post is highly critical of the car and the ad as if you were personally offended by it.

Challenger340

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 17, 2020, 05:22:11 PM

All I can say IMO....

IMO,

You are a highly opinionated guy and posts like this are clear evidence of that.
Nowhere in the sales description does it state that the car is ALL original. In fact, I read that it has been repainted, the interior had been redone but that it had the original engine and transmission.
Your post is highly critical of the car and the ad as if you were personally offended by it.

No, not offended, are you ?
You seem to be awefully opinionated as evidenced by your post that I am opinionated ? I mean if we are counting opinions ?

Let's just say I believe.... you know "IMO" ?
that Streetside Classics may have gone to one heck of a lot of roundabout words stressing "3 Owners and 37,000 Original Miles"....  to NOT say it's a complete restoration with a fake repop Fender Tag ?

and after all here....
the original title of this thread was "Any Thoughts on this '69" ?

Maybe YOU could give your thoughts on the car instead of being opinionated on my opinion ?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 17, 2020, 05:57:25 PM

All I can say IMO....

IMO,

You seem to be awefully opinionated as evidenced by your post that I am opinionated ? I mean if we are counting opinions ?

that Streetside Classics may have gone to one heck of a lot of roundabout words stressing "3 Owners and 37,000 Original Miles"....  to NOT say it's a complete restoration with a fake repop Fender Tag ?

and after all here....

Maybe YOU could give your thoughts on the car instead of being opinionated on my opinion ?

No expert but the tag looks ok to me.... :shruggy:

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Challenger340

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 17, 2020, 06:05:24 PM

All I can say IMO....

IMO,

that Streetside Classics may have gone to one heck of a lot of roundabout words stressing "3 Owners and 37,000 Original Miles"....  to NOT say it's a complete restoration with a fake repop Fender Tag ?

and after all here....

It's a DUD...
NOT going into details as they get better all the time by mostly researching online.

I mean "besides" the claim of 3 Owners and 37,000 miles ?
and WHY anyone would need to do this amount of work to a 37K example ?
Do you SEE anything wrong here ?

Kern Dog

I will concede that I am not as adept at spotting errors in a factory correct car BUT this ad doesn't state anything like that.
YOU use a sledgehammer approach that would only make sense if you are a total asshole or are somehow personally offended with the description. The "IMO" does not excuse you from bashing something without looking like you are over-reacting.
So...the car may not be worth the money.
So the dealership exaggerates the details.
So the car has been partially restored.
So what? So you get your blood pressure up over that? Really? What happens when you get diagnosed with a terminal disease or a loved one gets killed in a car crash? How do you react to something really bad?
I don't have ill will toward you. I hope that you are physically well but you need to pick your battles in life.

INTMD8

The entire ad states things like, repainted, restored, rechromed, this/that new/etc. 

I didn't get the impression at all they were trying to represent it as unrestored  :shruggy:
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Challenger340

Quote from: INTMD8 on February 17, 2020, 06:44:42 PM
The entire ad states things like, repainted, restored, rechromed, this/that new/etc.  

I didn't get the impression at all they were trying to represent it as unrestored  :shruggy:

I did not see the words "repainted".... nor "restored"... anywhere in the Ad ?   :shruggy:
Hence why it peaked my interest as quite obviously it has undergone both ? and WHY it would need to undergo such extensive work at a mere 37,000 Miles ?

What I did see was the following:
* a freshening up just a few years back has it looking its best
* chrome is all new
* fresh carpeting
* fresh woodgrain accent on the console

The description in it's entirety.... maybe I missed "restored" and "repainted" somewhere ?

Vehicle Description
After its exploits were memorialized during one of the most epic car chases ever filmed in the movie "Bullitt," the Dodge Charger R/T 440 became a seriously coveted muscle car, as legions of performance aficionados rushed to their local Chrysler Dodge dealership to put some of that four wheel, big block magic in their garages. And the demand hasn't let up at all, the '69 Charger is every bit of an American muscle car icon today. This real-deal R/T still features its numbers matching 440 Magnum V8 engine and Torqueflight transmission (visually verified and confirmed by Galen Govier himself) and original black colors both inside and out, along with an amazingly low 37,814 actual miles on the clock, making it arguably the most desirable '69 Charger on the market today.

The sinister black paint this '69 R/T wears is the same shade it left the factory with 50 years ago, and a freshening up just a few years back has it looking its best. With its even texture and great shine, it really presents well and the relatively badgeless look of the exterior allows the paint to take center stage. It's not perfect, but no Mopar was perfect even from the factory, but the finish is very nice and there's no mistaking this menacing street brawler when it's cruising down Main Street, and the gaps and body lines are very straight. From the signature split front grille all the way back to the trim surrounding the taillights, the brightwork and chrome is all new, and clear factory-tinted glass surrounds the cabin. The touch of sophistication provided by the black vinyl tops on Chargers of this era contributed a lot to their overall style, and the one on display here is in clean condition, with no perceptible tears or bubbling underneath. This is a factory stripe-delete car, which adds to the uniform look, and the bright red R/T badges are right where they're supposed to be and let everyone know that a bonafide heavyweight just passed them on the road.

Climb inside and it won't take much imagination to picture yourself engaged in an epic pursuit of your own. The correctly restored black vinyl interior is in great overall condition, with front buckets and a rear bench seat that show little to no wear as they sit over an expanse of fresh carpeting. Between the buckets is a center console that sports a fresh woodgrain accent and puts the chrome automatic shifter within easy reach of the driver. The assortment of factory gauges in the instrument cluster still work as intended and a supple looking, uncracked pad tops the dash area. You'll certainly have no shortage of would-be passengers eager to ride in this classic and they'll be able to do so in comfort - the Charger sports plenty of real estate between its rows of seats. Raise the deck lid and you'll find the trunk area is also quite spacious and houses a clean period plaid mat inside.

The iconic 440 Magnum big block V8 holding court under the hood looks awesome in its sharply badged air cleaner and bright orange block and valve covers and it sits surrounded by fresh-looking hoses and properly routed wiring. With only 37,814 miles on the car, the numbers matching drivetrain has plenty of life left in it thanks in large part to the careful maintenance of the 3-ownerrs that have had the pleasure of possessing this beauty during its lifetime, and with a factory rating of 375 horsepower, it has plenty of pop as well. An Edelbrock 650CFM 4-barrel carb and an X-pipe dual exhaust with Dynaflow mufflers have been added to maximize its output as it teams with a numbers matching A727 3-speed automatic TorqueFlite transmission. The drivetrain is completed by a 3.90 ratio posi-traction rear end entrusted to maintain surefootedness as the power hits the pavement, and power steering moves the metal with relative ease and make driving that much more pleasurable. The undercarriage is ready for mirrors, the front and rear suspension is newer, and this Charger rides on a set of 15" black steel wheels adorned with proper chrome center caps and outfitted with white-letter F70-15 Goodyear Polyglas bias-ply tires to complete the period look.

Documented with a factory buildsheet, a reproduction window sticker, and Galen Govier documentation, this number matching, actual mileage 1969 Dodge Charger R/T will afford some lucky enthusiast the opportunity to get behind the wheel of a truly iconic muscle car. Call today!

DownZero

I'm far from an expert so could someone state what the issue is on the vin plate?

Challenger340

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 17, 2020, 06:39:58 PM

I will concede that I am not as adept at spotting errors in a factory correct car BUT this ad doesn't state anything like that.
YOU use a sledgehammer approach that would only make sense if you are a total asshole or are somehow personally offended with the description. The "IMO" does not excuse you from bashing something without looking like you are over-reacting.
So...the car may not be worth the money.
So the dealership exaggerates the details.
So the car has been partially restored.
So what? So you get your blood pressure up over that? Really? What happens when you get diagnosed with a terminal disease or a loved one gets killed in a car crash? How do you react to something really bad?
I don't have ill will toward you. I hope that you are physically well but you need to pick your battles in life.

OK Dr Phil.... maybe follow your own advice huh ? I mean regarding picking "battles" in life ?
The original TITLE of the thread was:
Any Thoughts On This 69 ?

So far you have 2 posts in the above titled thread ? and BOTH seem strangely irrelevant ?

Kern Dog

Quote from: DownZero on February 17, 2020, 07:03:05 PM
I'm far from an expert so could someone state what the issue is on the vin plate?

My guess:
Rivets should be natural metal, not painted. Numbers and letters of VIN should be natural as well.

Challenger340

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 17, 2020, 07:06:10 PM
Quote from: DownZero on February 17, 2020, 07:03:05 PM

My guess:
Rivets should be natural metal, not painted. Numbers and letters of VIN should be natural as well.

Very good.... and the actual "font" is too thick ? maybe it's the thickness of the paint over top ? but too thick.
again...
I can't find anywhere in the description regarding "repainted" nor "restored".... which leaves me bewildered as to why a claimed only 37,000 miles original Vehicle would have required this amount of 'work" that people were even undertaking painting dashboard VIN Plates ? assuming it is the original VIN Plate that has merely been "repainted" ? although there also appears to be some VIN plate font spacing issues present ?

Mytur Binsdirti

84 large for that? Based on that asking price, my '68 38,000 mile survivor must be worth well over 100 large. Maybe even 200, or 250!!!!   :yesnod:

tan top

:popcrn:

XS29L9B345952
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

tan top

Charger Stuff 

Kern Dog

This could be one of those 30,000 mile cars that was weathered enough to warrant paint and interior work.

INTMD8

"wearing the same shade it left the factory with 50 years ago and a freshening up just a few years back" 

^ Yes, didn't say repainted but the above meant that to me.  Nowhere did I see them mention it was an original paint car.

"the correctly restored black vinyl interior is in great overall condition"

"fresh carpeting" "brightwork and chrome is all new"

So yes, to me the above doesn't read anything like they were trying to say it was original paint or unrestored.

Kern Dog

That is how I understood it as well. It was written by someone that must write romance novels or political speeches....dancing around clear definitions and using metaphors and innuendo to make the point.

hemi-hampton

The VIN plate on Dash looked like it had plain hardware store round headed pop rivets instead of the Rosette headed pop rivets. :scope: Or am I seeing things :shruggy:

70 sublime

No inspection punch outs on the fender tag ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

JB400

69 500

well when you ask why a 37 000 mile car need all that. A lot of people strive for excellence and may be that the vehicle wasn't all that well taken care of previously. but here's a question , your wife is 50 years old and has maintained herself conservatively  , does she color her hair , use make-up , wear jewelry that you bought her, or any other items to help her attract your attentions? kind of self explanatory , now isn't ? oh and bye the way just because she doesn't do everything exactly like the Super Models does that make her any less appealing? 

Challenger340

Quote from: 69 500 on February 18, 2020, 09:31:01 AM

well when you ask why a 37 000 mile car need all that. A lot of people strive for excellence and may be that the vehicle wasn't all that well taken care of previously. but here's a question , your wife is 50 years old and has maintained herself conservatively  , does she color her hair , use make-up , wear jewelry that you bought her, or any other items to help her attract your attentions? kind of self explanatory , now isn't ? oh and bye the way just because she doesn't do everything exactly like the Super Models does that make her any less appealing? 

To each their own I guess ?
All I know is that if I had a 50 yr old wife who had maintained herself conservatively all her life ?  lived a clean life ? took care of herself / was in good shape/looked good ?

I dunno why all of a sudden she would go out and get:
*  Liposuction on her six-pack flat stomach
* a giant boob job on otherwise still decent breasts
* ass implants
* and BOTOX injections in her Lips
and...
all "just because" ?

just say'in....
for some maybe it's a fine line open for interpretation as they see fit.... between "cosmetics" for appearance ? and complete dis-assembly and refinishing ?

Challenger340

Quote from: hemi-hampton on February 18, 2020, 12:38:08 AM
The VIN plate on Dash looked like it had plain hardware store round headed pop rivets instead of the Rosette headed pop rivets. :scope: Or am I seeing things :shruggy:

Hard to tell from the Pics Leon.... but I think I can see some "indentation" in the VIN Tag itself around the rivets ? maybe too much pressure when installing or RE-installing after paint ?

It's a beautiful Car  :2thumbs:
Just say'in....
and just my opinion here ?
I don't believe the Seller is doing himself any favors in pursuit of full disclosure, that the Car was completely dis-assembled and gone through at 37,000 Original Miles in pursuit of perfection ? or whatever was the motivation ?
just me I guess....
but I think if I was a Buyer looking at this car with an eye to purchasing ? and I had at least some Mopar knowledge ? or if NOT then I was asking opinions from others who did have Mopar knowledge ?

I just think it's fair to say someone may pluck ? and want to know WHY an Original 37,000 Mile "provenance" example such as claimed... has had the degree of work performed on it that it has had ?

69CoronetRT

The tag looks correct but either there have been changes to the car or the tag is incorrect. I can't see the broadcast sheet to confirm something.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 70 sublime on February 18, 2020, 05:19:10 AM
No inspection punch outs on the fender tag ?

Only on St. Louis built "G" '69 Chargers.    No punch outs on Hamtramck "B" built Chargers for '69
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

John Milner

Quote from: JB400 on February 18, 2020, 08:41:57 AM
More than likely, it belongs to this member:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,112346.msg1381781.html#msg1381781

The mileage and location fit.

After reading the owner's comments in that thread, I am quite surprised that the car is even for sale. 

To me, it looks like a great and highly desirable car.  If the paint on the vin and data tag bother a person, just strip the paint off.  I personally don't see a thing wrong with the data tag but I'll leave that to the experts. Should be easy enough to tell if it is numbers matching and all of the body numbers line up.  The car is 51 years old so it would be perfectly understandable to re-paint the car and fix the interior up.  Hard to beat a black on black with a black vinyl top numbers matching 69 Charger.     

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on February 18, 2020, 01:30:41 PM

The tag looks correct but either there have been changes to the car or the tag is incorrect. I can't see the broadcast sheet to confirm something.

There is a hole in both those sheets where the Radio code would be.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 17, 2020, 06:05:24 PMThere is a hole in both those sheets where the Radio code would be.....

One of those broadcast sheets (the one at right) is a copy of the one at left.

The window sticker is a fake.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on February 18, 2020, 04:09:22 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 17, 2020, 06:05:24 PMThere is a hole in both those sheets where the Radio code would be.....

One of those broadcast sheets (the one at right) is a copy of the one at left.

The window sticker is a fake.

Yup copy that ;) ....thoughts on tags?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Kern Dog

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 18, 2020, 12:28:29 PM

It's a beautiful Car  :2thumbs:
Just say'in....
and just my opinion here ?
I don't believe the Seller is doing himself any favors in pursuit of full disclosure, that the Car was completely dis-assembled and gone through at 37,000 Original Miles in pursuit of perfection ? or whatever was the motivation ?
just me I guess....
but I think if I was a Buyer looking at this car with an eye to purchasing ? and I had at least some Mopar knowledge ? or if NOT then I was asking opinions from others who did have Mopar knowledge ?

I just think it's fair to say someone may pluck ? and want to know WHY an Original 37,000 Mile "provenance" example such as claimed... has had the degree of work performed on it that it has had ?

THis was a far better response.
I think that anyone would appreciate that the car looks nice and most might agree that the wording of the ad isn't very specific. Details are inferred rather than clearly stated. It's as if the guy works in marketing and is used to dancing around to make his point.

ACUDANUT

Anyone who had a car that had it's dash restored, could have used aftermarket rivets to reattach the VIN number.  How may 50 y/o dash's have not aged.  :shruggy:
That is like seeking a 50 y/o virgin.  Hard to come by.  :Twocents:

Kern Dog

If you saw a 50 year old virgin, chances are....it looks like someone that nobody wants to screw.

Challenger340

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 18, 2020, 10:02:17 PM
Anyone who had a car that had it's dash restored, could have used aftermarket rivets to reattach the VIN number.  How may 50 y/o dash's have not aged.  :shruggy:
That is like seeking a 50 y/o virgin.  Hard to come by.  :Twocents:

Case in point, and again here.... NO disrespect intended !
Beautiful Charger :2thumbs:
But other than very simply to "perceptions" ? derived from the description around claimed vehicle provenance ?
again,
we are all free to our own interpretations ?

Here is a 51 year old 1969 Charger R/T's Dash Board VIN Tag with 37,000 Original Miles

and merely for comparison
here is a 51 year old 1969 Charger R/T's Dash Board VIN Tag with 141,000 Original Miles (51 year old virgin)

Now, I am NOT saying different 51 year old Charger R/T's can't be subjected to vary'ing degree's of circumstances/care/life experiences that they then show their ages/VIN Tags differently ?
All I am saying.....
is that on a 37,000 Original Mile documented 3 Owner provenance example ?   no matter the condition.... from "worn" to still pristine VIN Tag condition?
one may be exercising staid due diligence when presented with a VIN Tag completely "restored/repainted" ?     to then ask the circumstances by which HOW this came to be within 3 Owner provenance and documented 37,000 miles ?

INTMD8

^There are certainly some parts of this car that could have been done better, no doubt. (and who knows what the mileage is)

That being said there could certainly be an original/low mile car that has a baked out interior. Just depends on how it was stored and cared for.

Look at poor Miss Belvedere  :eek2:

5wndwcpe

Quote from: hemi-hampton on February 18, 2020, 12:38:08 AM

I think they just masked off the VIN tag in place and painted it.  You can see how the paint filled in around the numbers and think that's what you're seeing with the rivets.