News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thoughts on this 1970 Charger

Started by chargerperson, February 11, 2020, 06:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerperson

follow this classic car dealer on Instagram and they posted this 70 Charger which caught my eye.  I realize they are not the best places to buy from for value and quality issues.  That being said, the car does have some appeal (while being a bit overpriced).  #s matching transmission, 1971 383.  Modern radio and gauges a re a bit of a downer but otherwise looks ok.

List price $69k - may have some flexibility it seems

I am thinking of buying anther car as I have not bought/restored a car in 4-5 years and I am expanding my garage.

The readers have shown a great ability to decipher a car based on a few pictures.

https://www.idealclassiccars.net/vehicles/600/1970-dodge-charger-500

383C.I. Big Block V8 - Numbers Matching A833 Heavy Duty 4-Speed Manual w/ Pistol Grip Shifter - Magnum 500 Wheels - 2018 Rotisserie Restoration - Excellent Condition! - Dual Exhaust w/ Chrome Tips - V1X Vinyl Top - Black Bucket Seat Interior w/ Console - Original EV2 Hemi Orange Car!

The Dodge Charger is one of the most popular classic Mopars of all time. From "Bullitt" to "The Dukes of Hazard", the Charger has planted itself deep into the history of American culture. This 1970 example is a 500 model with a roaring 383C.I. V8 under the hood breathing through dual exhaust and mated to it's numbers matching D21 code heavy-duty A833 4-speed transmission with the famous pistol-grip shifter. This Charger has been subject to a recent rotisserie restoration, completed in 2018. It's finished in bold EV2 Hemi Orange accented by the V1X code black vinyl top and glittering chrome trim. Options on this Charger include: A01 light package, G33 driver side remote mirror, L31 hood mounted indictors, and Magnum 500 wheels. Inside, you'll find a comfortable Charger grade charcoal vinyl interior with bucket seats and a center console, a modern stereo, and the instrument cluster with the desirable Tic-Toc-Tach. It won't be here long, so now is the time to get your hands on the Charger of your dreams!

chargerperson

chargerperson

chargerperson

chargerperson

AKcharger

Can't argue that it isn't pretty. $70K is serious money though. However if you were to buy a junker for $20K it would EASILY take another $50k to get it to that level so if you have the money i'd buy and safe yourself 2+ years of headache and enjoy it, every day is one less till your dead

ACUDANUT

Very nice car.  I have Red 70 R/T Clone Charger with a big block 4-speed for sale. PW/PB/Cruise..All original sheet metal, never any rust, stored inside for 35 years for sale. Pm me if your interested. Car is from West Covina Ca.  Bought it back in 85. 50K.
Was a A/C car.

tan top

looks  good but
sorry this is not the answer your looking for ! I would look for another,  has had lots of work done , torsion bar cross member ,floor, also  maybe frame rails ,  spring perches etc,  the work looks questionable , now not everyone  works the same way, & some of it may just well be cosmetic in the way its been welded together & panel gaps etc   but the way the torsion bar cross member has been fitted & the passenger side bar does not even look central in the socket ....   I would not want it for nothing  & that's just looking at the underside its enough to walk away , with out mentioning whats wrong with  the body :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

The bondo'd in lower valance corners and brand X hose clamps, aftermarket radiator & lack of proper detail under the hood leaves me underwhelmed. Especially when you're talking that much scratch for a 383 car.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 11, 2020, 07:40:57 PM
The bondo'd in lower valance corners and brand X hose clamps, aftermarket radiator & lack of proper detail under the hood leaves me underwhelmed. Especially when you're talking that much scratch for a 383 car.

I somewhat agree. But are Brand X hose clamps really a issue ?

JB400

Rubber hose for a fuel line and the heater hoses are not crossed.  I'd check it over with a magnet

ACUDANUT

Quote from: JB400 on February 11, 2020, 08:27:45 PM
Rubber hose for a fuel line and the heater hoses are not crossed.  I'd check it over with a magnet

What does that mean ?

Challenger340

Pretty obviously it has undergone some extensive metal replacement/restoration work, pictures don't always tell the entire story ?
so I would strongly advise some up close and personal inspection if you are serious ?
as mentioned:
* door/1/4 panel gaps/alignment are suspect
* something doesn't look quite "right" in rear stance/position.... 1/4's off ?
and...
standard Steering and standard brakes may be a bit of a bear with the 4 stick in parking lots ?

IMO,
That's some pretty strong money for a 1970 383 example ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

JR

That seems overpriced to me.

I get it's retail, but still.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

cdr

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 11, 2020, 08:41:03 PM
Pretty obviously it has undergone some extensive metal replacement/restoration work, pictures don't always tell the entire story ?
so I would strongly advise some up close and personal inspection if you are serious ?
as mentioned:
* door/1/4 panel gaps/alignment are suspect
* something doesn't look quite "right" in rear stance/position.... 1/4's off ?
and...
standard Steering and standard brakes may be a bit of a bear with the 4 stick in parking lots ?

IMO,
That's some pretty strong money for a 1970 383 example ?

Yep 1/4 's are installed wrong. look at the end caps. the 1/4's do not follow the shape of them.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

birdsandbees

Just the "fancy" exhaust work makes me stop and give thought to the "care" that went into this car. Washer pump installed wrong, '70 should have 1/2" and 5/8" heater hoses that you have no choice but to cross. No heater hose support bracket. Aftermarket rad with the stupid improperly indexed filler neck. Obvious things that stand out, what is hidden?  :scratchchin:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

hemi-hampton

The bondo'd in lower valance corners and brand X hose clamps, aftermarket radiator & lack of proper detail under the hood leaves me underwhelmed. Especially when you're talking that much scratch for a non matching #'s 383 car.

Fixed. :rofl:

Kern Dog

The frame rails do look like they have been replaced. The factory used spot welds to attach the ends of the front frame rails to the torsion bar crossmember. This has perimeter welding there. The support brackets nearest the front wheelwell are also factory spot welded to the frame rails, this car had a bead of weld on both sides.
Same goes at the rear. The leaf spring hanger mounts are also spot welded to the rear rails but not here. Their welds look sloppy too, as if they thought it would pass as the rumored "sloppy assembly line practices" spoken about at car shows and online.
My welds are sloppy but I dress them with a grinder to clean them up. Leaving them this way seems like it is either due to laziness or the effort to fool someone.
Aside from that, it looks like a decent car.....

70 sublime

Also says it has a 1971 383 motor
The compression ratio dropped to 8.5 in 71 so not a real barn burner of a motor
( 1971 383 is what I have in my car but it does like the regular gas  :2thumbs: )
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

chargerperson

Gentlemen
Many thanks for your feedback
Certainly will not pursue.  Your knowledge is quite useful
I was a little worried when the salesman didn't know where the car was restored and the car was only restored in 2018.  Said they bought car from a private collection
Shame this kind of work was completed on the car

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 11, 2020, 08:20:11 PM

I somewhat agree. But are Brand X hose clamps really a issue ?

I initially notice the obvious little details that stand out and then work into seeing the bigger stuff.

Daytona R/T SE

Exterior body color on the interior of the doors is always an indication that who ever painted the car should be taken out behind the body shop and beaten severely. :Twocents:

Kern Dog

OR someone that likes the color. Not everyone "restores" their car to match OEM styling.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: birdsandbees on February 11, 2020, 08:56:23 PM
Just the "fancy" exhaust work makes me stop and give thought to the "care" that went into this car. Washer pump installed wrong, '70 should have 1/2" and 5/8" heater hoses that you have no choice but to cross. No heater hose support bracket. Aftermarket rad with the stupid improperly indexed filler neck. Obvious things that stand out, what is hidden?  :scratchchin:

I agree - when you see obvious corners being cut - how about the rest?
I think that price is approaching U and maybe even V code money - for a car of similar level of rebuild resto...

Challenger340

Quote from: chargerperson on February 11, 2020, 11:22:50 PM
Gentlemen
Many thanks for your feedback
Certainly will not pursue.  Your knowledge is quite useful
I was a little worried when the salesman didn't know where the car was restored and the car was only restored in 2018.  Said they bought car from a private collection
Shame this kind of work was completed on the car

It might seem like it's a pretty tough crowd in here at times ?
Nonetheless,
the cumulative knowledge is amazing to me !
and people always seem to point out stuff I completely miss my NOT being any kind of conversant in most areas other than engines maybe ?

That said...
I've seen that when a really fine example has been posted for scrutiny ? sometimes the accolades from many here seemed equally specific and positive in giving credit where credit was due ?
leading me to believe in the validity of these opinions ?
IMO, smart to run away ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !