News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fan/Clutch Distance to Radiator

Started by 4402tuff4u, May 16, 2006, 05:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4402tuff4u

I remember another member posting this same question, but I could'nt locate the post. Anyhow I was installing the fan, shroud and radiator on the 68 R/T and I'm a bit concern on how close the clutch is to the radiator. The Charger came with a fixed fiberglass fan type set up when I bought it and I decided to go with the MP repo clutch type fan. I have approximately 3/8" of an inch from clutch to radiator. I was wondering from the experts here if this is "OK" or should I do something different. I dont think the 440 will surge that much. It has new engine & tranny mounts, hardware, etc. I thought if anything, engines tend to rise and twist. Any past experience and/or comments...thanks! ???
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

BrianShaughnessy

Toooooooooo close.  :P

I use a Jag clutch fan (Hayden 2765).
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

tan top

too close.  :scope:  my fan clutch is about 1-1/2 " inches from the radiator give or take , i have had no problems with this set up,its a mopar clutch, but not sure what it is from   ,as it was already on the car but it is does look  smiler to  the original  . i am not sure, i think i heard or read , may be evan on this site the new  MP  fan /clutch kit was too close   .   i think there are 3 or 4 different fan clutch shaft lengths for each body &  engine combination. and it might evan be different water pump shaft lengths also i can't remember for sure probably wrong on this one though.
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

4402tuff4u

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on May 16, 2006, 06:03:20 AM
Toooooooooo close.  :P

I use a Jag clutch fan (Hayden 2765).

I heard that Jag clutch are the shortest ones around. I have to see if Summit will take back the MP clutch fan I have. I think they will, they've been pretty good so far.

Does anyone have a measurement for a Jag clutch from fan flange to outside of clutch? Just want to make sure before I go ahead and return the MP fan and find out is something else. Cause I also installed a new aluminum pump.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Im running an NOS clutch from a 72 400 max cool car.  The shaft is approx 1-1¼" shorter than the MP viscous clutch.

Put on the "correct" fan this year (5x heavier than the MP unit)  Swapped it back out because I was having some cooling issues (nothing a rad flush & fresh coolant couldnt handle)
I am thinking of putting back the correct fan but the weight savings (rotating mass) on the WP bearing might sway me from doing it....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

Spoke with Mancini just now and they said that MP only makes one viscous fan and length of shaft are the same - no different lengths available  :-[  They don't carry the Jag Hayden fan either.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Chris how far away are you from the rad with your set up?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Hard to tell from this pic but I can get my thumb at its widest part between the rad & clutch
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ChargerRob

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on May 16, 2006, 09:31:12 AM
Hard to tell from this pic but I can get my thumb at its widest part between the rad & clutch

Hey Chris, is that a cooler next to the PS pump? ???
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

694spdRT

Quote from: ChargerRob on May 16, 2006, 03:12:17 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on May 16, 2006, 09:31:12 AM

Hey Chris, is that a cooler next to the PS pump? ???

Yes, they were on cars equipped with 3.54/3.55 gears or lower if my memory is correct. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Big Lebowski

When I was 18, with my first Charger I remember throwing away a PS cooler and saying..."What Ford idiot put this thing on here?" :icon_smile_big: Now I need it for my 4.10 Dana Charger. :icon_smile_big:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

SeattleCharger

Looks close, I don't know.  Better have perfect condition motor mounts,  if it doesn't touch when idling, doesn't mean it won't rip through radiator when you stomp on the gas in gear driving. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Chryco Psycho

tecmopar

It should be about 1 to 1 1/4" away, safe and seems to work the best, good luck.

Ghoste

I think MP even recommends that it's an inch from the rad, which kind of makes you wonder why they make it so long since this seems to be a very common complaint when folks buy this kit.

TylerCharger69

Looks like an awfully nice radiator and clutch assembly to have it so close!!!   Mine's about 1 1/2 or so too!!!   But I use a flex fan and not a stock one.

4402tuff4u

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on May 17, 2006, 09:13:43 PM
Looks like an awfully nice radiator and clutch assembly to have it so close!!!   Mine's about 1 1/2 or so too!!!   But I use a flex fan and not a stock one.

I'm convinced that it's too close. I'm waiting for the new parts to arrive in the mail to address this problem. Just had the radiator totally restored don't want to foul it up. I'm trying to keep the stock look as much as I can. :yesnod: Thanks everyone for the feedback.

4402tuff4u

Thanks to BrianShaughnessy's feedback I was able to correct the problem of the clutch being to close to the radiator. I contacted Hayden Automotive and they were very helpful. I mentioned to them the set up I had with the Charger. I asked them the measurements of the clutch assembly and it was 2.65" deep in comparison to the MP clutch 0f 3.25" deep. Hayden does not sell to the public, therefore they gave me a NAPA part no. 261306 (Hayden 2765). I have now approximately 1" from clutch to rad and 1 3/4" from fan to rad. Brian was right,  it was very tricky and tough on the fingers to get the bolts started, but it's do-able. Again, thanks Brian!! :2thumbs: Another example how helpful this site is!

Thanks to the other members too for the feedback. :cheers:

See how tight my garage is?? I have to keep the Charger wrapped in blankets and I absolutely do not allow belt buckles or cell phones on waists in my garage!! I have a nice car cover, but it's a pain to remove since I'm working on different parts of the car. Padded blankets work nice.

Oh, I know the rad support is not blacked out. My body guy said he would do it in the fall. I know he painted the hood latch and spring mechanism. I'll fix that real soon!!

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

SeattleCharger

Really clean car.    :thumbs:             Now the garage, that's another story. 

dodge freak

Same thing at my house, cars look great but my garage  :-\  Why? Not sure but it just always seems to happen. Used to be worst so maybe thats why I don't seem to care.

SeattleCharger

I'd have a mess of a garage in a second if it meant my car looked that nice.    Actually, I live in a garage.  So it is clean, sort of, but my car, well, within some years I hope. 

tecmopar

A clean garage is the sign of a sick mind, just some old proverb I heard somewhere.

4402tuff4u

Usually is not messy at all. I've been working on the Charger every little minute I can. I have all sorts of cardboard boxes all over the place with the new parts etc... Once I get the Charger back on the ground, I'll be able to pull it out and sweep and straighten out the garage. Using every little time I get to put things together on the Charger. When she's finished I'm going to prep the garage floor and seal it with an epoxy floor coating system, that will help to keep it clean! :yesnod:

dcrt

4402tuff4u, did the Mopar fan blades fit direct on the Jag clutch?

Peter /Sweden