News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

May I vent/rant about parts availability?

Started by bull, May 16, 2006, 01:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adauto

I don't want to tell ya how many I sent to the shredder "back in the day". Of course aroud here even 20 years ago ..RUSTY!!
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

TheGhost

They repop even less A body Barracuda parts than they do for first gen Chargers.  REALLY makes me glad that my car is complete.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Mike DC

QuoteFor everone who wants a 69 Charger grill, how many are willing to lay down the coin? Nice to say "oh I'd buy it if I could get it for 150.00" Reality is for it to cost that little you'd have to manufacture 10,000 parts

BTW:

I'd pay a hell of a lot more than $150 for a new '69 grille.  I just wanna have a option besides looking for months, then paying $1000 for used parts, then praying it's not a ripoff when it finally arrives.  I'd be happy to pay $500 (or more) just to know I was spending money for a decent new part.  Right now I spend even more money (and hours of my life) buying used, brittle ABS plastic that's been bolted to the front of a car since before the moon landing.

And if they'd tooled the stupid thing 10 years ago, they probably WOULD HAVE sold 10,000 of them by now!  I don't know many Charger guys who got a nice grille for their car without piecing it together from several busted ones (and still having to epoxy a bunch of places).  Most of those peiced-together & restored grilles were a likely sale that the repro market has missed now. 

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 16, 2006, 11:54:33 PM

And if they'd tooled the stupid thing 10 years ago, they probably WOULD HAVE sold 10,000 of them by now!  I don't know many Charger guys who got a nice grille for their car without piecing it together from several busted ones (and still having to epoxy a bunch of places).  Most of those peiced-together & restored grilles were a likely sale that the repro market has missed now. 

I agree, if they would start tooling up and making the parts they would eventually make a profit, yeah it may be a few years down the road but the bigger comapnies can afford to wait that long to start turning a profit.  As has been said, MOPARs are getting to be very popular so it's just a matter of time before these compaines start to wake up (well I hope they start sooner rather then later).

Darkness

Well, you guys are going to hate me but, us E-Body guys have repro stuff luckily which is another reason I bought my Challenger because I knew how hard of a time my dad had finding parts for his 72 Rallye Charger.

limey

As i thumb through the year one catalog, and suck air in through my teeth with dismay as I create my wish list. I realise how much stuff I need is unavailable...I mean I basically need an entirely new dash as mine is chopped up... I could do with new padded door tops....no such luck....I then look at the shipping cost across the atlantic and I can feel my brain haemhorraging with horror....and then I look at what there is for 1st gen and 3rd gen guys and I count myself lucky....you guys who are rebuilding your cars, or just keeping them on the road deserve respect, and it stops me from moaning about it....however, it does make you think that if you could start a company remanufacturing front fenders and dash panels etc, you could make a killing...
Limey
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

Shakey

I've always thought that trying to round up parts, the "hunt" if you will, is just as much fun as finally finding the part, restoring it and installing it.

Sure it can get frustrating at times but once you find that part, it's almost like making a big sale - a great rush!

MassCharger73

A friend and I recently went to a flea market ( swap meet..is this a regional term ? ) and saw a 71-4 E-B body 4 spd. console for $500. Now I know I'm frugal..OK cheap, but considering the only difference between the auto and stick is the top plate we were wondering why no one has repopped just the plate. I know it wouldn't be cheap, but on the other hand it doesn't seem to be all that intricate and they already make the vinyl woodgrain decal.
1973 Charger