News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 to 400 questions?

Started by noff57, July 29, 2009, 10:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noff57

Hey Guys,

I have 2 73 chargers one with a 318 and one with a 400. The car with the 400 is a parts car, but i would like to put the 400 in the 318 car.. What all will I need to do to covert?  :shruggy:

bordin34

You will have to swap the K-frame, then everything should just bolt right up. Also you may need to cut the passenger side inner fender,if you compare them, they are different.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

A383Wing

transmissions are different, radiators are different, power steering, throttle cable, exhaust, misc mounting brackets for power steering, there's probably more, it's not a "drop-in" swap

FLG

What they said.

The fenders are different but the 400 will fit with the small block inner fender...i would know i have one.

mopar73

I did the swap with my 73 years ago.  there was plenty of room on the aprons.  I did not change the k frame or anything else, all I did was swap the whole drive train.  318/auto to 400/auto and 8.75.   the motor does sit slightly foreward or back from the "correct" position ( I don't remember which)  but there was no problems with it.